The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 Galant won't start

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

94 Galant won't start

1994 Galant LS 4 cyl auto trans

I've had the car for almost 2 years now and it has never started correctly. I haven't worried with it because the car will start eventually. Its never left me stranded. I just keep turning the ignition switch until it finally starts.

I did my research and decided it was either the neutral safety switch or the ignition itself. I sprayed the neutral safety switch plug down with contact cleaner and that seemed to help for a few weeks but now it won't start.

When I turn the ignition to "ACC" all my lights come on and everything is working. When I turn the ignition to "ON" and press the brake pedal all the lights go off and it's like the car is dead. Of course when I turn the ignition to start nothing happens. When I turn the key back to "ACC" all the lights come on. I thought it might have been the battery but it has been tested and according to the local parts store its ok. The weird thing is that without the key in the ignition my power door locks won't work. I'm gonna go back and check the battery cables when I get off work tonight but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions of other stuff to check? Thanks in advance!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    check the fuses under the hood, i just had my ignition fuse blow and the same thing happened.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

hopster
    Mine car does the same thing. Push the shifter towards the radio while you start the car. the cable for the shifter is out of adjustment.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    if its not the fuse, maybe the actual ignition or the starter went. i doubt its the shifter cable.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    sounds like a bad connection at the battery. Clean the post mounts. The Starter will take every cold cranking amp possible to start the car, thus any little power it takes to simply "turn your lights on" will be drained through cranking the engine.

With having power at acc and none at on you probably have a bad fuse, bad ignition or some bad wiring somewhere. If you haven't already downloaded the Galant manual stuff for your 7g do so and look at the wiring diagrams tied to the ignition. Given that another user tied the same problem to the shifter give that a shot too. If you have a service manual for your car there are diagrams at the back for the electrical systems. Check the starter and ignition charts and start testing.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

My money's on the battery terminals. You can clean them but the metal is friggin 17 years old. (18 if you consider when it was assembled)

get some new terminals, cut back the cables a half inch to expose fresh copper. and Make sure all of your connections are nice and tight. It even helps to sand down where the negative cable is grounded to the fender. Sand that ground, clean the threads of the bolt that secures it and the threads in the fender. Actually I sanded downt he paint to the metal(like when you install an amp)
    My car has never started faster. It was crazy the starter motor cycled much faster, and even the power windows were faster. No shit.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo