The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine completely cut out while driving - won't start.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 47 of 47
    Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    I mean I guess it's possible, but if you were to look at this think really close up, you'd see just how dry-rotted and cracked it is. I seriously doubt it's been changed since the 60k service interval. All the bearings were fine, none were spun or in danger of being spun. It says on the belt:

"168 Do not Bend. Made in USA 107 09605 04913075."
    I dunno if that's OEM or not.
    yeah i guess it is possible it wasnt changed.it is possible that is a autoparts store belt.i am pretty sure it is a autoparts belt because of the 168 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    yeah i guess it is possible it wasnt changed.it is possible that is a autoparts store belt.i am pretty sure it is a autoparts belt because of the 168 on it.
    That really, really scares me as a mechanic. You mean to tell me that Advance Auto parts is charging me $50 a pop for each of their low quality, shredding-prone belts? That is really scary stuff. To think that I was using Advance Auto Parts brand timing belts in my customers' cars. I will never buy T-belts from them again. EVER. (slaps self in face)

Something about having a change-out interval of 60k and designing a cheap belt that breaks after only 20k, but not specifying this when purchasing seems extremely dishonest at best. I don't really understand this. So there are belt manufacturers out there making timing belts that break before the service interval is due? Shady. Very, very shady.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-10-2011 at 01:43 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

I have seen a number of Korean cars here w/broken belts at less than 70k miles. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes. Next time your at the parts store ask for the cheap belt and then the gatorback or gates or anything that is twice as much. Usually just a visual inspection will give you the real story.

Great, so you deleted the balanceshafts?

That really, really scares me as a mechanic. You mean to tell me that Advance Auto parts is charging me $50 a pop for each of their low quality, shredding-prone belts? That is really scary stuff. To think that I was using Advance Auto Parts brand timing belts in my customers' cars. I will never buy T-belts from them again. EVER. (slaps self in face)

Something about having a change-out interval of 60k and designing a cheap belt that breaks after only 20k, but not specifying this when purchasing seems extremely dishonest at best. I don't really understand this. So there are belt manufacturers out there making timing belts that break before the service interval is due? Shady. Very, very shady.
    thats why everyone on here says to go with a oem mitsubishi belt or a gates,there are some people that have used a autoparts store belt and they are cracked at 20,000.their belts are usually made in other countries besides USA.

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant View Post
    Great, so you deleted the balanceshafts?
    I didn't delete it. It just isn't rotating anymore. Is this going to hurt my engine? I've been driving it like it is now for 1,000 miles with no ill effects.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

I didn't delete it. It just isn't rotating anymore. Is this going to hurt my engine? I've been driving it like it is now for 1,000 miles with no ill effects.
    no it wont really hurt the engine,there will just be more engine vibration.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123