The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine completely cut out while driving - won't start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 47
    Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    I don't really understand why Mitsubishi couldn't get this thing right when they designed the engine. The repair manual specifies to change that belt every 100,000 miles or so. But in reality, this belt must be changed every 20,000 or less. This belt had around 20k on it, and it was changed along with the BS bearing. So I really don't understand why it failed.

Question: Since the crank sensor did not break on its own accord, is it possible that I can just fix the old one? Maybe put it back in place? I don't really want to install another BS belt. Would it be stupid of me to assume that the shaft stopped rotating with all the oil journals still aligned? I'm either going to A)Leave the balance shaft installed like it is. OR B)Buy a delete kit.

People: Remember that first post I ever made about not installing the delete kit and leaving the BS belt in place? I will now eat my own shoes in embarrassment.
    what brand of belts did you use oem mitsubishi,gates,or an autoparts store belt?

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    what brand of belts did you use oem mitsubishi,gates,or an autoparts store belt?
    I dunno yet. I won't know until I can get my second floor jack back from my friend, so I can remove the engine mount, move the water pump pulley out of the way and remove the lower timing cover.

Both belts and bearings were changed out at 110k. I do not know which brand was used because I didn't own the car then.

I replaced the timing belt (only) at 118k, because I did not know at that point whether it had already been replaced. The BS belt looked in good condition then, so I left it on there.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

I dunno yet. I won't know until I can get my second floor jack back from my friend, so I can remove the engine mount, move the water pump pulley out of the way and remove the lower timing cover.

Both belts and bearings were changed out at 110k. I do not know which brand was used because I didn't own the car then.

I replaced the timing belt (only) at 118k, because I did not know at that point whether it had already been replaced. The BS belt looked in good condition then, so I left it on there.
    oh ok.it is probably a autoparts store belt because they are known for cracking and breaking around 20,000.i would put a oem mitsubishi belt on it or a gates.the recommended interval to change the timing belt is every 60,000 miles.

oh ok.it is probably a autoparts store belt because they are known for cracking and breaking around 20,000.i would put a oem mitsubishi belt on it or a gates.the recommended interval to change the timing belt is every 60,000 miles.
    I'll definitely order the OEM timing belt, however I will never throw another belt on that balance shaft again. From what other people have said and from my own recent experience, I do not trust it at all. Delete kit or just remove the broken belt and leave it. I'm deliberating which...
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

I'll definitely order the OEM timing belt, however I will never throw another belt on that balance shaft again. From what other people have said and from my own recent experience, I do not trust it at all. Delete kit or just remove the broken belt and leave it. I'm deliberating which...
    if you dont use the balance shaft belt it wont ruin the engine will it?i would probably do a delete kit if that is what you want to do.

It is possible that if you just remove the broken belt carefully that the sensor will be just fine. I would definitely double check the main timing belt alignment and make sure it starts before you put the cover and pulley back on. I have run with just belt delete in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    It is possible that if you just remove the broken belt carefully that the sensor will be just fine. I would definitely double check the main timing belt alignment and make sure it starts before you put the cover and pulley back on. I have run with just belt delete in the past.
    You think that simply removing the broken BS belt may cause my car to start again? I'm not really sure on how the crank position sensor works, so I can't really say one way or another whether this will work. How would removing a broken belt cause a sensor to start working again? I thought that the failure of the BS belt somehow damaged the sensor and stopped my engine. I mean that question seriously, as I do not know how the sensor works. I'm not trying to sound like a smart-***.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-09-2011 at 12:30 AM

The belt wraps around the shaft and a piece gets lodged between sensor and sensor sprocket. The sensor can't read if something is in the way.

The belt wraps around the shaft and a piece gets lodged between sensor and sensor sprocket. The sensor can't read if something is in the way.
    Thanks buddy! You give me hope that I won't even have to spend $70 on a new one! I guess I'll find out tomorrow though. I must say that, apart from this whole balance shaft fiasco, this car is built very, very well. They designed the crankshaft pulley so that once the crank bolt is removed, I can just remove the 4 10mm bolts to get the pulley off. No pulley-remover tool required! +1 for Mitsubishi!

No need to take the large crank bolt off, just take the 4 bolts off for the pulley. Then you can get your cover off.

No need to take the large crank bolt off, just take the 4 bolts off for the pulley. Then you can get your cover off.

Well I guess it was even easier than I thought. I borrowed a friend's 100ft extension cord and hooked up my electric impact gun and took it off anyway On most cars, it's gotta come off. Except this one though. The japanese did me a big favor here. It's been 3 years since I replaced the T-belt. Guess I forgot how I took it all apart.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-09-2011 at 01:00 AM

I would recommend you put that bolt back on before before dinking with it too much. That is the only thing holding the crank sprocket in place.

I would recommend you put that bolt back on before before dinking with it too much. That is the only thing holding the crank sprocket in place.
    I will definitely tighten it back down! Wait...there is a gear "tooth" that keeps the sprocket spinning with the actual crankshaft, correct? I was "dinking" with it a lot tonight, that's why I ask. If that's the case, then all I really have to worry about is making sure that I don't pull out on the sprocket, away from the engine block. If I did that, I would pull the sprocket out from underneath the T-belt, losing timing. I don't want to screw things up worse than they are. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Its a key-way and your assumptions are correct.

This is what happens when you allow a dishonest mechanic to work on your car:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8685/img1eh.jpg

That belt was definitely not replaced 20k ago. It's got cracks everywhere and is disintegrating. The previous owner paid some garage $800 to replace parts that were never actually replaced.

This is what happens when you allow a dishonest mechanic to work on your car:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8685/img1eh.jpg

That belt was definitely not replaced 20k ago. It's got cracks everywhere and is disintegrating. The previous owner paid some garage $800 to replace parts that were never actually replaced.
    wow that thing is torn to pieces.it could have been replaced but with a crappy autoparts store belt.

Did you check the sensor?
    It works?

you dont need to take off the crank bolt, just remove the 4 bolts on the harmonic balancer.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant View Post
    Did you check the sensor?
    It works?
    Sure it worked! After I super-glued the plastic pickup back onto it with plastic super glue That's only temporary though, until the new one I ordered online gets here. i refuse to give Advance Auto $80 for a new one.

My car lives again!! What a great car! It does shake a little more than I used to, but I can live with it.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-09-2011 at 10:06 PM

wow that thing is torn to pieces.it could have been replaced but with a crappy autoparts store belt.
    I mean I guess it's possible, but if you were to look at this think really close up, you'd see just how dry-rotted and cracked it is. I seriously doubt it's been changed since the 60k service interval. All the balance shaft bearings were fine, none were spun or in danger of being spun, so that definitely rules out a bearing failure as causing the belt to break. It says on the belt:

"168 Do not Bend. Made in USA 107 09605 04913075."
    I dunno if that's OEM or not.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-28-2011 at 04:11 AM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast