The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: check engine light

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

check engine light

i have a 1994 galant gs the check engine light will come on sometimes and when the car moves it will shut off.do you guys have any suggestions on what it might be.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    i have a 1994 galant gs the check engine light will come on sometimes and when the car moves it will shut off.do you guys have any suggestions on what it might be.thanks.
    I'm guessing that yours is OBD I? My guess is, either you have a loose ground on the MIL lamp, or you have a sensor that is on the verge of going bad. That is, when your engine's RPM's are above idle speed, the sensor reports voltage readings within the normal threshold, but when you go back to idle, the voltage readings fall back outside of the normal threshold and your computer throws a MIL code. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that OBD I computers can "store" codes.

(The above is just my 2 cents. I could be wrong about it, that's what I'm guessing is happening.)

Can't you just complete the circuit under the dashboard at idle and read the code?
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-09-2011 at 02:04 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    I'm guessing that yours is OBD I? My guess is, either you have a loose ground on the MIL lamp, or you have a sensor that is on the verge of going bad. That is, when your engine's RPM's are above idle speed, the sensor reports voltage readings within the normal threshold, but when you go back to idle, the voltage readings fall back outside of the normal threshold and your computer throws a MIL code. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that OBD I computers can "store" codes.

(The above is just my 2 cents. I could be wrong about it, that's what I'm guessing is happening.)

Can't you just complete the circuit under the dashboard at idle and read the code?
    it rarely comes on.if it comes on and if i reverse or go forward it goes off and doesnt come back on.just a little bit of moving it shuts off.i just changed the plugs and wires because it had a misfire.the misfire went away after the tune up.i also changed the pcv valve.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    see if you can scan for the code, i know scanning an OBD1.5 car is a bitch but if you can get a code i have the 94 galant shop manual with all probable causes of whatever code it is.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    see if you can scan for the code, i know scanning an OBD1.5 car is a bitch but if you can get a code i have the 94 galant shop manual with all probable causes of whatever code it is.
    yeah it is kind of hard to do though because it doesnt come on all the time.

i understand, do you have a friend with a scanner as if you do, it comes on dont even move the car and have them come over and scan it.

other than the light flickering sometimes is the car acting weird at all?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i understand, do you have a friend with a scanner as if you do, it comes on dont even move the car and have them come over and scan it.

other than the light flickering sometimes is the car acting weird at all?
    no i have to get a obd1 scanner.it doesnt really seem to be acting weird.what is the car suppose to idle at when it is not warmed up?

mine idles around 1200 when cold then around 800 warmed up, are you auto or 5 speed? just so i know.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

mine idles around 1200 when cold then around 800 warmed up, are you auto or 5 speed? just so i know.
    my car is 5 speed.when i first start it cold it idles around 1500 and when it is warmed up it idles at 1000

idles a little high but thats fine, if you cant to lower it there is a screw on the top of the throttle body towards the front of the car, turn that down when the car is warmed up to lower it a little if you want
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

idles a little high but thats fine, if you cant to lower it there is a screw on the top of the throttle body towards the front of the car, turn that down when the car is warmed up to lower it a little if you want
    alright so its fine?i wanted to make sure the idle was alright so i know it isnt the idle air control valve.

if it was the IAC it wouldnt idle when started it would just die unless you gave it gas for about 30 seconds. ive had that problem...
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

if it was the IAC it wouldnt idle when started it would just die unless you gave it gas for about 30 seconds. ive had that problem...
    ok yeah that makes sense.