The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Aftermarket speakers.. suggestions/opinions/experiences???

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Aftermarket speakers.. suggestions/opinions/experiences???

Ok so... I've got an 05 Galant and it has the Infinity system in it but I swapped out the 6 disc deck for an Alpine CDA-117. It's still running off the factory speakers. 2 6x9's in the rear deck and 2 5 1/2 or 3/4 in the front doors and then the 2 tweeters up on the dash. Although everything on crutchfield says the 6x9's they have won't fit. I'm guessing because of how deep they are maybe? They sound really good when I play stuff through my ipod. They can be quite loud. Of course when I turn it up to a point (when it's already starting to slightly hurt my ears on certain songs) they don't sound as good. Not bad... but not great.

So... suggestions on brand/model speakers to swap them out with that would go well with that deck? I listen to mostly rock and a little bit of hip hop. I don't think I'd want to mess around with component speakers so I'm thinking of coaxial.

But give me your suggestions for both coaxial and components as well as an amp to use as well. And when I say component speakers, not the ones that are 500 a pair either, something a bit less expensive.

A couple people recommended Memphis Audio speakers because they have a pretty low price for how good they are and a lifetime warranty if they are installed by a dealer.

Let me know people.

Stavy6
    Cant go wrong with alpines,kickers or rockford fosgates
    There all great speakers with good mids and decent bass.
    For an amp it depends what ur trying to run off of it (4channel2channel etc..)

Alpines are great speakers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

I was thinking Boston Acoustics.

Infinity kappas

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

I personally recomend Rockford Fosgate, for speakers and amps; I also have the 360 eq/x-over.
    De que estamos hablando?

Boston Acoustic's components sound amazing. Along with there subwoofers. but ive never heard Boston Coaxial so thats ur choice..Ive heard Alpines are Great too.

If ur wantn Price vs Quality. I'd try Boston Acoustic S50. You may need an adapter since they're 5.25" but They're components which, thats gonna fit ur front best since u could put the woofers in ur door an the tweeter in the dash.
    Tthen maybe look at some alpine Type S for 6x9 in ur rear or maybe low wattage kicker 6x9's

I wanted to stay away from anything that would require me to hook up an amp, like components. Cuz then you gotta buy an amp wiring kit, find a good place to put it (I don't like the idea of the trunk and theres no room under the seat) and run the risk of it being stolen... then run all the damn wires and all that crap.

What I was planning on was getting the Alpine KTP-445 power pack, which boosts the head units power from 18 RMS to 45 RMS and I can just hide the power pack in the dash.

Then hook up the Boston SC65's and the SC95's. The 65's have a 50 RMS and the 95's have a 60 RMS... so with that power pack they should sound quite nice for coaxials. A huge upgrade from the factory Infinity speakers.

I am rockin MB Quart 6x9's and components and will have Diamond Audio subs. I personally would stay away from Rockfords....I had power DVC's with a....500 watt amp or so....blew em out. THey are too weak. Subs i'd go with Alpine, Diamond Audio, or JL Audio. Components....Diamond Audio Hex series, MB Quart, and I hear Focal is pretty good but I am not 100% on that one. Oh, JL Audio also makes components and 6x9's

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Yeah rockford fosgates have been kinda crappy for the last few years. Not as good as they use to be in my opinion.

Component dont require amp but ur plan there seems like it will be great from stock. Ive never heard of a power pack that boosts power tho.

Quote Originally Posted by The_fresh_Galant View Post
    Component dont require amp but ur plan there seems like it will be great from stock. Ive never heard of a power pack that boosts power tho.
    Right, components don't REQUIRE amps. But if I take component speakers who's RMS is 65-70 minimum and try to power them with a head unit only putting out 18 RMS... they'll sound kinda crummy.

The "power pack" is basically a mini amp designed by Alpine for their head units made in 2005 and later. Takes the RMS from 18 to 45x4 just like an amp would except it's smaller and I can just hide it in the dash behind the head unit.

well 45wrms to a 50w rms speaker sounds like it should perform jus fine. I get the jist of what ur sayn tho.

Yep, and even though the 6x9's will be 60 RMS, you can always just put the fade to 1 click more towards the back to even that up between the front and back. Should sound pretty sick.

If u ever add a sub, that should match up pretty good.

thats my plan as well. I have an Alpine head unit as well. I have 6x9's and components and I think they over powering the head unit. I have amps I just need em installed to power everything. I am only setup for amped subs right now....but I agree guys...need to amp the components....it will sound much better

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"