The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which has more potential?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    yeah thats true too.do you have a galant already or are looking to buy one?
    I've seen like 2 but they were dirty so i'm still looking so i can jump on one

Quote Originally Posted by super-turbo View Post
    I've seen like 2 but they were dirty so i'm still looking so i can jump on one
    oh well good luck with finding one.and make sure you post pictures.

oh well good luck with finding one.and make sure you post pictures.
    yeah for sure ill have a build thread

Experienced TGC Member
    I am going to chime in here and set some things straight, or better yet...CORRECTLY.

very true but which would cost me more i know if i have the 4g63 or 4 i would be doin a evo dohc head swap but for the v6 it would be a whole engine swap with the 6g75 does anyone know what the cost could come out to be?
    The cost of the 6g75 swap depends on how much you pay for your engine, and what additional work you plan on doing with it.

ok and the 6g75 is from 2006 eclipse right?or what other years?
    The 6g75 comes in two models, the MIVEC and Non-MIVEC. The Non-MIVEC you can find from a 2004 Galant, or the MIVEC pretty much from a GTS Ralliart Galant or 4th Gen (2006 and newer) Eclipse.

One thing to note with the MIVEC route is there were no cams available for them for a while, however there is information for these over on Club4g.org as they are now available.

Additionally with the MIVEC engine route you will need a full standalone to control the MIVEC system (or if you do some digging on other sites you will find another method). The MIVEC basically runs a "stock" camshaft profile up until about 3800-4000RPMS where a solenoid in the cylinder head switches the camshaft profile to something more aggressive. You can easily find aftermarket camshafts for the Non-MIVEC, which with a set of Stage 2 cams from RPW, increases lift more than an OEM MIVEC cam will, plus you get the full benefit of an aftermarket camshaft in all RPM ranges.

Financially, the Non-MIVEC 6g75 swap is proving to be the better option for those of us who have swapped into their 8th Gen, and those who have swapped into the 3rd Gen Eclipse as well.

yeah pretty much
    Should read "yea sure, sounds right to me."

If you don't know, don't help. If you want to help, search and find the correct information. Too many times we see people just posting replies like this with no supporting information behind it, and that is where people go wrong and start making costly mistakes.

yeap no problem the head seems to be the cheaper way to go,but do you need the computer for it too.the head swap would deffinantly be sweet.
    Doing a head swap may be less expensive, but simply doing a head swap will still fall short power wise of a stock 6g75 swap. Now, if you are comparing a boosted 4cyl to the N/A 6g75, well...that is a different thing.

yeah it seems alot easier to swap the head then the whole engine plus theres more after market parts theres not so many with the 6g75
    Curous, how much research time have you actually spent researching both decisions? There is plenty of aftermarket for the 4cyl (obviously the plethora of aftermarket support for the Evo platform). However, I think you just quit looking on the 6g75 platform, there is enough out there, and enough "paved road" on the 3.0 6g72 platform to justify an easy 500+whp on the V6 platform as well.

plus with the evo head it should handle high boost pretty good with the stock internals
    High boost+stock internals= BOOM

Think you need to sit back and read some more on the engine build you are venturing into here man, unless you like throwing engines into the water like boat anchors I guess.

I can tell you right now there are only 4 6g75 swapped 8th gen Galants, and the words I have said above are from somebody who took up the 6g75 swap first and has meticulously gone over this engine for the past year and then some (yea, still not running though). M-Rod was the 2nd person to make the swap, and the first of the group to get running and give real world feedback of the engine swap here. M-Rod definitely has first hand knowledge of the engine's possibilities, and has actually spent time doing his homework on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    I love speculation about the 6G75 when all anybody can do is just talk about it. From what I've experienced, it is a very responsive engine when paired with the F5M51. Makes over 200 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels across the entire RPM range from about 1000 RPM and up with just bolt-ons and no tune. There is plenty of potential with a tune. Other things I've had to deal with over the past Spring and Summer are high temps and high counts of knock, which can be prevented and corrected. Bang for your buck, reliable and streetable 13's are achievable for under $2000.

I'm not sure how much the Evo setup would cost, but room for improvement is very accessible due to turbo. Stewi would be the member to chime in with accurate info in this respect.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    I am going to chime in here and set some things straight, or better yet...CORRECTLY.

The cost of the 6g75 swap depends on how much you pay for your engine, and what additional work you plan on doing with it.

The 6g75 comes in two models, the MIVEC and Non-MIVEC. The Non-MIVEC you can find from a 2004 Galant, or the MIVEC pretty much from a GTS Ralliart Galant or 4th Gen (2006 and newer) Eclipse.

One thing to note with the MIVEC route is there were no cams available for them for a while, however there is information for these over on Club4g.org as they are now available.

Additionally with the MIVEC engine route you will need a full standalone to control the MIVEC system (or if you do some digging on other sites you will find another method). The MIVEC basically runs a "stock" camshaft profile up until about 3800-4000RPMS where a solenoid in the cylinder head switches the camshaft profile to something more aggressive. You can easily find aftermarket camshafts for the Non-MIVEC, which with a set of Stage 2 cams from RPW, increases lift more than an OEM MIVEC cam will, plus you get the full benefit of an aftermarket camshaft in all RPM ranges.

Financially, the Non-MIVEC 6g75 swap is proving to be the better option for those of us who have swapped into their 8th Gen, and those who have swapped into the 3rd Gen Eclipse as well.

Should read "yea sure, sounds right to me."

If you don't know, don't help. If you want to help, search and find the correct information. Too many times we see people just posting replies like this with no supporting information behind it, and that is where people go wrong and start making costly mistakes.

Doing a head swap may be less expensive, but simply doing a head swap will still fall short power wise of a stock 6g75 swap. Now, if you are comparing a boosted 4cyl to the N/A 6g75, well...that is a different thing.

Curous, how much research time have you actually spent researching both decisions? There is plenty of aftermarket for the 4cyl (obviously the plethora of aftermarket support for the Evo platform). However, I think you just quit looking on the 6g75 platform, there is enough out there, and enough "paved road" on the 3.0 6g72 platform to justify an easy 500+whp on the V6 platform as well.

High boost+stock internals= BOOM

Think you need to sit back and read some more on the engine build you are venturing into here man, unless you like throwing engines into the water like boat anchors I guess.

I can tell you right now there are only 4 6g75 swapped 8th gen Galants, and the words I have said above are from somebody who took up the 6g75 swap first and has meticulously gone over this engine for the past year and then some (yea, still not running though). M-Rod was the 2nd person to make the swap, and the first of the group to get running and give real world feedback of the engine swap here. M-Rod definitely has first hand knowledge of the engine's possibilities, and has actually spent time doing his homework on it.
    Thanks for your help but i didn't mislead anyone 6g75 is in the 2006 eclipse he asked me that cause he looked to find me one and i know The 6g75 comes in two models, the MIVEC and Non-MIVEC but i really don't want the MIVEC i looked around at some 6g75 swaps and MIVEC i heard is harder to tune and i have spent a good time looking for after market parts didn't come across that many and yes high boost+stock internals=BOOM but i never said i was gonna go crazy with the boost and the rest didn't need to be quoted its pretty common sense but thanks for the additional information its appreciated i'm trying to get as much info as i can so i can do it right the first and have a running Galant

if that's the case, you didn't look around very hard
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    if that's the case, you didn't look around very hard
    Trust me I did but after a little bit more searching I did find some and I must say the 6g75 is very promiseing

Experienced TGC Member
    Go with the EVO swap and boost that whore like the dirty lil bitch she is. Its tried and true. And because of that, there is a wealth of information. Good luck!

With the evo setup there so much tuneup options out there that is endless. Just get a 4G64 block build it with forge internals, nice evo 8 head, evo 8 ECU. And you pick of a turbo setup of your choice depending on how much HP you want to make. If you go with the 6G75 you will have to do lots a lots of research for that platform, evo setup information is already out there.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Trust me I did but after a little bit more searching I did find some and I must say the 6g75 is very promiseing
    Yes, anything is possible. You make more power because you have 6 cylinders. But the problem is to get it to work correctly and build it right and get a nice nice ECU flash for it "TUNED". There is not a lot of information for that. It will cost you 3x more to boost the 6G75 because is a new platform for tuners and if a company makes performance parts they want to charge you a leg and a arm for the parts. Evo 8 and older models is an old platform and company still charging a lot of money for parts and this is due to the high demand for performance parts for the evo's.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member
    I am not sure why some of you folks seem so lost with bulding the 6 cylinder platform, even with boost involved. Have you all forgotten the ground work laid down by our "favorite" member WarmAndSCSI perhaps? (no I don't want to open that can of worms just a good reference for what was proven).

Recall he made 500+ whp on that build, in a 3.0L? Yea he spent a lot of money for the amount of engines he went through basicaly as "trial and error" to find what worked and what wasn't. That same information (still able to be found here and on other forums), is directly applicable to bulding a 6g74 or 6g75...with even more power output.

Tuning is not an issue, at least if you have a clue of what is going on. The 4 cyl has the route of going to the full Evo ECU swap (if you do it correctly that is), and the V6 platform has the Eclipse M/T ECU Swap. But wait, the Evo ECU can read boost, the Eclipse cannot. Wrong, guess the information was overlooked again that was even posted here on TGC about the "Big Maps" Patch for the V6 platforms....hello EcuFlash tuning for boost just like the Evo ECU.

Is the 6 cylinder more expensive, hell yes...2 additional cylinders would make that obvious. Do we have multiple sources for turbo manifolds and other parts, nope...and that is what keeps costs limited if you are smart about it honestly. If you do some more digging you would find out that a simple $200 short tube header kit would work perfectly for doing a turbo manifold design that is far superior than what was previously/still offered for the V6 platform today.

The items needed to boost a 4cyl vs a 6cyl are not very different at all. It is quite odd how very few V6 Galants have ever been boosted by turbo or supercharger, yet the 3rd Gen Eclipse folks have had no issues at all...even though they run a supercharger setup commonly...they have made more forward progress on the exact same engine than what many V6 Galant owners have yet to experience. Why is that?

Building for boost is not cheap regardless which engine you run, at least if you want it done correctly and to have some "life." Telling somebody that the 4 cylinder option is easier doesn't teach them anything, nor does it do anything for this community's V6 owners' knowledge and growth.

Was the 6g74 swap really just limited to the Eclipse and Galant folks? Hardly, have we all forgotten to look into the 3000GT platform folks who have easily made the 500whp mark on a 6g74 engine? Keep in mind some of these guys were pushing this power with OEM 6g74 rods (as these are OEM forged rods, and something that was mentioned in the 6g75 swap information out there for building a boosted engine). The 3000 GT folks are also getting into the 6g75 swap. Honestly, if the 3000 GT and 3rd gen Eclipse communities are making such progress witha boosted engine, what's holding the Galant community back?

Are we really that lazy and need to be spoon fed every bit of information to do this? Hardly, we have some VERY experienced people here, and I know at least 1 V6 Galant owner is slowly working on a boosted build himself as he has spent the time doing the necessary research to find his answers.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12