The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What typically goes bad on the 8g?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

What typically goes bad on the 8g?

On 7gs we all know the automatic transmission is going to fail sooner or later. Also the IAC is another thing that seems to fail frequently as is the recirculating air motor behind the glove box. What typically goes bad on the 8g?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Mounts

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

rear endlinks, timing belt.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    intake manifold if you have i4

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

I believe the intake many problem depends on the type of intake your running and how you have it mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE View Post
    I believe the intake many problem depends on the type of intake your running and how you have it mounted.
    You just need a beefy enough bracket to hold the SRIs up. Mine is triangulated off of the tranny
    -Andrew

not that I know. But black paint cancer!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

/facepalm. the intake problem resides in the manifold itself. not intake tubing.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE View Post
    I was referring to that ^^

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    /facepalm. the intake problem resides in the manifold itself. not intake tubing.
    Yeah i know. I thought he meant the actual tubing/filter. I had a problem with mine when I first got it due to a wimpy bracket
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by spencer0791 View Post
    so far on my 7 g and it has 170k miles i had to replace
    ac compressor
    power steering pump
    camsaft seals all of them!
    oil pan gasket
    catalytic converter
    engine mounts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    These are common for 8g

- IAC goes bad due to not cleaning the TB
    - A/C external drain pipe gets clogged and wet floormat ensues
    - stock i4 IM cracking
    - heater core..nuff said
    - CV axel after lowering car
    - alternator going out
    - Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor &/or thermostat inop = run high temp during idle
    From the other post... These are specifically for the 8G
    -Andrew

If you stay stock with the car the following are the common things I have see with most of us here.
    1) sway bar links
    2) dash lights burn out
    3) Crank Shaft position sensor - but if you replace it with the timing belt when suppose to then usually not an issue.
    4) Radiator cracks or hose leaks start eventualy
    5) "Cancer" of the cars clear coat if stock paint - mostly on the black or silver cars
    6) Rockers or lifters start to tick eventually - normal thing for most cars with 100,000+ miles one them
    7) O2 sensors - but on mostly the high millage cars, which is kind of normal to happen with many miles on a car.

Most of the things I listed are due to wear and tear. But the worst one to have happen is the crankshaft sensor breaking, because alot of the times it will get tangled up in the timing belt and wreck more then you bargen for.

But other then that I have a 2001 I4 with 210,000+ miles on it and I am still running the original engine with only timing belt and crankshaft sensor done to it and original trans.

Any other work that I have done to it was due to normal wear and tear, shocks, sway bar links, tie rod ends, radiator, hoses, etc....... But I would put these cars up there with Honda's. Thats just my personal experiance and opinion.

Oh forgot to add the engine mounts eventually go.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    If you stay stock with the car the following are the common things I have see with most of us here.
    1) sway bar links
    2) dash lights burn out
    3) Crank Shaft position sensor - but if you replace it with the timing belt when suppose to then usually not an issue.
    4) Radiator cracks or hose leaks start eventualy
    5) "Cancer" of the cars clear coat if stock paint - mostly on the black or silver cars
    6) Rockers or lifters start to tick eventually - normal thing for most cars with 100,000+ miles one them
    7) O2 sensors - but on mostly the high millage cars, which is kind of normal to happen with many miles on a car.

Most of the things I listed are due to wear and tear. But the worst one to have happen is the crankshaft sensor breaking, because alot of the times it will get tangled up in the timing belt and wreck more then you bargen for.

But other then that I have a 2001 I4 with 210,000+ miles on it and I am still running the original engine with only timing belt and crankshaft sensor done to it and original trans.

Any other work that I have done to it was due to normal wear and tear, shocks, sway bar links, tie rod ends, radiator, hoses, etc....... But I would put these cars up there with Honda's. Thats just my personal experiance and opinion.

Wow I hear you bro. My damn luck the secondary timing belt broke and smacked the crank sensor and broke it so my mechanic replaced those and the main timing belt since it was slightly frayed and he decided better now than later and changed my brakes all for $700

Now i got the SEL for the o2 sensor
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"

o2 sensors, and my auto went at about 120k

Yeah I'm at 106 so is this something I can do myself?
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"