The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Major Problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

Major Problem

So my car is currently stranded 30 miles from my house at work. It won't start. Here's the story of the last three weeks.
    Dead Car Day 1: after a long night of work I got out to start my car and it won't start. I try to get a jump start. We tried to jump it for 20 minutes with no success. I bought a new battery and it started right up
    Dead Car Day 2: a few days after that I have a dead battery again after work. This time the jump start works. I take it home and I have the garage take a look at the alternator. He says that is working fine
    Dead Car Day 3: Tonight I go out to start my car and the car won't start. The lights and everything else work. I don't hear a clicking noise nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my car?

it sounds like your starter went.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    either your starter, altenator, or ignition switch. maybe even a fuse is about to go.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Any idea what that might run me to get replaced? I kind of suspected that might be the problem.

Any ideas on how to figure that out when the car won't start at all. I had the alternator tested last week so I know that isn't the problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    if its a fuse, 4 bucks. starter like 70. ignition over 100, alternator around 100 brand new non refurbished or used. start with the cheapest fuses.

no clicking or anything points to the starter or the fuse
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    you can lightly tap on the starter a few times with something magnetized, like a hammer, try to start it, and if it starts, it could possibly be the starter.

you can try tapping on the stater with a hammer and try turning it over.if it is the starter it will start after tapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    if its a fuse, 4 bucks. starter like 70. ignition over 100, alternator around 100 brand new non refurbished or used. start with the cheapest fuses.

no clicking or anything points to the starter or the fuse
    I'm not knowledgeable about cars. What is the best way to test a fuse? Is there a way that I can do that. If I don't have to pay for a tow I really don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh View Post
    you can lightly tap on the starter a few times with something magnetized, like a hammer, try to start it, and if it starts, it could possibly be the starter.
    you beat me to it while i was typing lol.

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    you beat me to it while i was typing lol.
    ;) unfortunately, that trick works for only so long

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh View Post
    ;)
    lol we were both thinking the same exact thing.

Clean the battery terminals with wire brush or battery tool

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyofthevalley View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable about cars. What is the best way to test a fuse? Is there a way that I can do that. If I don't have to pay for a tow I really don't want to.
    a fuse you pull it out of the spot and if it looks blackened replace it.there is also a fuse tester to check fuses.

a fuse you pull it out of the spot and if it looks blackened replace it.there is also a fuse tester to check fuses.
    i just blew my ignition fuse, if its the ignition fuse, there wont be much left of it, i blew 3 fuses before i found the short.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i just blew my ignition fuse, if its the ignition fuse, there wont be much left of it, i blew 3 fuses before i found the short.
    your fuses melted or something?

your fuses melted or something?
    noooo, the fuse didnt leave much doubt if it blew or not. its a 30 amp fuse, it wasnt just a little break, part of it wasnt there haha.

that fuse is in the engine bay
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

noooo, the fuse didnt leave much doubt if it blew or not. its a 30 amp fuse, it wasnt just a little break, part of it wasnt there haha.

that fuse is in the engine bay
    oh ok.

You wrote "Dead Car Day 3: Tonight I go out to start my car and the car won't start. The lights and everything else work. I don't hear a clicking noise nothing. "

Did you try getting a jump on dead car day 3? If so what happened? As suggested before, this is probably a starter problem but it could also be ignition switch or even a fuse. Two other possibilities are wiring issues (corrosion on battery terminal, corrosion between battery cable wiring and battery cable terminal, bad ground, etc) or a parasitic drain (something electrical that does not shut off when the car is shut off; light in trunk or glove box, door ajar warning light, etc over several hours these can drain a battery).

Replacing the starter is straight forward and no need to get under the car (can all be done from the engine bay). Basically you remove air filter housing/MAF, unbolt starter and slid it out towards you over the transmission, unbolt/disconnect the wires. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Autozone will test it for you for free because they want to sell you one. There was a recent thread about changing the starter titled ”changing out starter” Do a search.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    You wrote "Dead Car Day 3: Tonight I go out to start my car and the car won't start. The lights and everything else work. I don't hear a clicking noise nothing. "

Did you try getting a jump on dead car day 3? If so what happened? As suggested before, this is probably a starter problem but it could also be ignition switch or even a fuse. Two other possibilities are wiring issues (corrosion on battery terminal, corrosion between battery cable wiring and battery cable terminal, bad ground, etc) or a parasitic drain (something electrical that does not shut off when the car is shut off; light in trunk or glove box, door ajar warning light, etc over several hours these can drain a battery).

Replacing the starter is straight forward and no need to get under the car (can all be done from the engine bay). Basically you remove air filter housing/MAF, unbolt starter and slid it out towards you over the transmission, unbolt/disconnect the wires. Installation is the reverse of the removal. Autozone will test it for you for free because they want to sell you one. There was a recent thread about changing the starter titled ”changing out starter” Do a search.
    Getting a jump was the first thing I tried, but it did nothing to help the car. Thanks guys. We will probably go down and starting pulling out the fuses first since it will be the easiest fix. Then I guess we will have to try the starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast