The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6x9's wont fit in rear of 05 galant? what? help?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

6x9's wont fit in rear of 05 galant? what? help?

I'm looking around online to buy some 6x9's for the rear deck of my 2005 Galant, and EVERYTHING says that none of the 6x9's they have will fit. Something about the hole not being big enough?... what the.... anybody know wtf? Or am I missing something?

6x9's wont fit in rear on 2005? what? Help?

Ok so, I wanna swap out the stock infinity speakers. But every place I look online says they have no 6x9's that will fit the rear deck where my current 6x9's are. Something about the hole and fitment. WTF? Anybody know what the deal is or am I just COMPLETELY missing something?

there are some speakers come with the multiple hole fitment. check your local bestbuy or any car stereo store for more info.=O

Quote Originally Posted by PnoyGalant View Post
    there are some speakers come with the multiple hole fitment. check your local bestbuy or any car stereo store for more info.=O
    Done that, best buy supposedly says NO 6x9's fit the 9g's. That can't be. There's factory infinity 6x9's in there already.

Stavy6
    If its a 6x9 speaker in there now it should fit..unless the infinitys are shallow mounts??
    I would buy the speakers see if it will actually fit in the hole and you will most likely have to drill new holes for the screws anyways with aftermarket speakers..

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Done that, best buy supposedly says NO 6x9's fit the 9g's. That can't be. There's factory infinity 6x9's in there already.
    Our stock speakers for the most part are shallow mount. If you get something to deep it will end up hitting the spring bar for the trunk lid.

One solution is to remove the back dash cover cut out the holes and drop them in from the top. I ended up doing that to mine, it looks good, enables me to use better 6x9's, and if needed to be replaced all I do is take out 4 screws per a speaker and drop the new ones in.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Our stock speakers for the most part are shallow mount. If you get something to deep it will end up hitting the spring bar for the trunk lid.

One solution is to remove the back dash cover cut out the holes and drop them in from the top. I ended up doing that to mine, it looks good, enables me to use better 6x9's, and if needed to be replaced all I do is take out 4 screws per a speaker and drop the new ones in.
    Now that sounds more like the problem. I'll see what I can come up with. I think some people put in those Infinity Kappa's with no problem so if I can compare the Kappa's depth to the depth of the Boston Acoustics I want to get, I might not have a problem.

i have my 6x9 kappas in no problem,
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

got Jl 6x9s with a decent size magnet... there was a metal bracket added to raise the speakers a tiny bit which is enough to clear the bar

I checked the trunk today... the spring bar is attached to the surrounding area of the 2 rear fenders... so that cant be the problem... it might be because I have a lip put on my rear trunk so maybe they attach it some other way.

Either way... I've ordered some 6x9's and I'm gonna put them in. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    I checked the trunk today... the spring bar is attached to the surrounding area of the 2 rear fenders... so that cant be the problem... it might be because I have a lip put on my rear trunk so maybe they attach it some other way.

Either way... I've ordered some 6x9's and I'm gonna put them in. I'll let everybody know how it goes.
    Check just below the speakers. There should be two tension bars that run from one side of the car to the other side of the car. Atleast thats how it is on the 8G galants.
    Below is a thread with the clearance issue I was talking about. They also talk about a fix for it.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=30705

Here is a picture of the tension bar for the trunk, see how it bends below the speaker?
    If the speakers magnet sits to low that bar and the speaker will hit.
    http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=shocks2.jpg

Yeah, I don't have those little tension bars at all. I'll have to take a picture later and post it.

Here's the pics. Nothing I can see that would need it to be shallow mount. And you can see how the trunk lid stays up in the second pic. So... I shouldn't have any problem I think.

come to think of it, i think i only screwed in 3 of the 4 screws i'll be able to tell you better when i get my car back this week
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

psshhh somehow i thought we were talking about an 8g... nvm

No, it's a 9g, a 2005 like I said in the original post ;)

Ok so... I got the 6x9's today. The hardest part of the job was getting the damn negative cable on the battery unhooked. The nut and bolt was covered in all that crusty crap and it got in the threads so it was pretty much stuck. FYI a good fix for that is pouring a little bit of soda pop on it. It desolves that crap quickly. Then use a little WD-40 and it's good to go. If any of you have worked in a repair shop you'll see a lot of mechanics ust open up their bottle of mountain dew they got sitting around and pour a lil on and then wipe it all off. The acidity in it along with the carbonation clears it right up.

The 6x9's fit like a glove. Other than messing around with that damn battery the tricky part was those 4 little clips that keeps the factory grills stuck in. Other than that, it was a quick swap. Not sure why Crutchfield, Best Buy, HHGregg, etc all say that there are no after market 6x9's that fit in there. They must have done it on a 2004 and had something going on with that that just... wasn't the same. Damned if I know. But they fit nicely.

Installed the Alpine Power pack too and it certainly powers the speakers much better. I put the volume up to 10 and it's as loud as it use to be at nearly 20 or 22 and much more clear.

Now I'm just waiting for the 6.5's to get here and I'll hook those up, set the EQ back the way I like in the Alpine and it should be pretty sweet.