The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing O2 Sensors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

Icon4 Changing O2 Sensors

WEll I have not changed to one up front, but the rear sensor is changed and was a bitch. So for those of you with a 96 - 98 7G here is a little info you may no know. The second sensor comes into the car behind the radio, so you have to take apart quite a bit to get to it. First you will have to take the lower part of the driver side dash apart, then you will have to take the side kick panel off of the center console (near the gas pedal) and THEN you can get to the pig tail!

^^^this is with the dash portion on...but I had removed it as you can see because the center kick panel is removed. There is no way to remove that because of some screws that are attached to the dash.

^^^after that panel is removed, peel the carpet back a little and look on the floor behind the radio....

^^^and you will see the connection in the interior of the car.
    This is not really a tutorial because changing these sensors is pretty straight forward....unscrew it...replace it. But finding the shit in the car was a pain! LOL So now you know. According to MKO some of the years...94-95 have the sensor come into the car under the driver seat but I cant attest to that. Just thought this would be a good FYI

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    WEll I have not changed to one up front, but the rear sensor is changed and was a bitch. So for those of you with a 96 - 98 7G here is a little info you may no know. The second sensor comes into the car behind the radio, so you have to take apart quite a bit to get to it. First you will have to take the lower part of the driver side dash apart, then you will have to take the side kick panel off of the center console (near the gas pedal) and THEN you can get to the pig tail!

^^^this is with the dash portion on...but I had removed it as you can see because the center kick panel is removed. There is no way to remove that because of some screws that are attached to the dash.

^^^after that panel is removed, peel the carpet back a little and look on the floor behind the radio....

^^^and you will see the connection in the interior of the car.
    This is not really a tutorial because changing these sensors is pretty straight forward....unscrew it...replace it. But finding the shit in the car was a pain! LOL So now you know. According to MKO some of the years...94-95 have the sensor come into the car under the driver seat but I cant attest to that. Just thought this would be a good FYI
    wow that is a pain.it sucks to have to take apart the whole interior just to change the o2 sensor.

Yeah that is for the second O2...the other one in the engine bay shouldnt be too bad. But that was a real pain!

Yeah that is for the second O2...the other one in the engine bay shouldnt be too bad. But that was a real pain!
    i am glad i dont have replace my o2 sensors.my o2 is under the driver seat to i guess because my car is a 1994.

Yeah...maybe...thats what MKO told me cuz he thought I had a 95. But as was pulling shit apart I traced it....and it was under the radio in the floor in the dash. I mean WTF? LOL Now you know why they charge so much to do shit labor wise

Yeah...maybe...thats what MKO told me cuz he thought I had a 95. But as was pulling shit apart I traced it....and it was under the radio in the floor in the dash. I mean WTF? LOL Now you know why they charge so much to do shit labor wise
    yeah it is a lot of work just to get to it,but it is worth it.i love my car.

im so glad my car has only my wideband and my front 02 sensor. rear is just for emissions you dont even need unless your trying to pass emissions tests.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

uhhhhh i don't know why you went through all that. on my car the rear o2 plug is under the drivers seat.

i don't know why you even changed it. it's usless. i had mine disconnected for 4 months and never through a check engine light or cause any problems. it only monitors the efficiency of the cat.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

^^^Like I said on some its under the seat...mine obviously is not. I had to go through all that to get it swapped out. I am changin both of mine in hopes to pass my emissions...you live in MD...in Cali they are a bitch about EVERYTHING emissions!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i can attest to the 94-95s having the rear 02 sensor pigtail come in under the driver's seat, didn't know they changed it for the 96+
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yeah I had to find out the hard way! LOL Not sure on 97-98 but I would imaging its like mine.

^^^Like I said on some its under the seat...mine obviously is not. I had to go through all that to get it swapped out. I am changin both of mine in hopes to pass my emissions...you live in MD...in Cali they are a bitch about EVERYTHING emissions!
    i passed 2 years ago with the wires to the rear o2 sensor severed. lol

i just passed last week again. my car smelled so rich lol. i was like let me scoot away real quick before they fail me. i have this check engine light that comes and goes whenever it wants. its for my front o2 sensor.

also my cuz 94 GS has it under the drivers seat.

kimya whats your vin start with?

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    i can attest to the 94-95s having the rear 02 sensor pigtail come in under the driver's seat, didn't know they changed it for the 96+
    mine is a 97. its under my seat

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    kimya whats your vin start with?
    Gotta look....wonder if that has anything to do with Fed or Cali spec? I am Cali spec I know...wonder if that makes a difference. I would love to get rid of the second cat but again...like I said Cali is a bitch with emissions shit. Ask Peano! LOL We go through hell....although I'll take the smog over the bull shit NJ inspection I used to have to deal with....that shit was rediculous

Gotta look....wonder if that has anything to do with Fed or Cali spec? I am Cali spec I know...wonder if that makes a difference. I would love to get rid of the second cat but again...like I said Cali is a bitch with emissions shit. Ask Peano! LOL We go through hell....although I'll take the smog over the bull shit NJ inspection I used to have to deal with....that shit was rediculous
    dam you got a second cat. i have no cat........ lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    mine is a cali car too damn having 2 cats stock, thats not gonna last long for me
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

So I wonder if ^^^yours is in the same spot as mine or it it is under the seat. Yours is a 95 right?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    mine is a 96
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

mine is 94 cali spec. it has 2 sensors. 94 mitsus use only one , i guess the second o2 sensor was added as a future implementation of the obd2
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Hmm...good to know. So I would imagine if you have a Cali spec with a second cat....the O2 sensor will enter where mine is. If you are fed spec (guessing here) or OBD1 - 1.5 then its under the seat? That is just wierd that they would put in two different spots like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast