The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My project 8G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Rad '92 View Post
    Ahhh i certainly cant wait for the next meet. Whoo whoo.
    we are waiting for Albert to get a new car to get another meet going

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Welcome to TGC your G looks clean considerig how many miles it's been through.

UrbanDiplomat

Ordered my parts today...

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Prodigy View Post
    Welcome to TGC your G looks clean considerig how many miles it's been through.
    Thanks! (May change your mind once I get the rest of the pics up though...lol) Let's just say my bodywork skills are about to be put to the test.

I just ordered my water pump, both accessory belts, timing belt tensionser, and crankshaft position sensor from http://www.rockauto.com for $147.68 They're prices are great! I'll let you guys know how their service is over the next two weeks. I'll be picking up a timing belt locally due to budget/time constraints. I'll try to get some more pics of the car up sometime today.
    Last edited by UrbanDiplomat; 01-21-2011 at 11:07 AM

UrbanDiplomat
    sorry for the double post
    Last edited by UrbanDiplomat; 01-21-2011 at 11:08 AM

welcome
    Nobody built like u, u desighn ur self.

5spd swap
    full custom body conversion
    18x9 Works VS
    Big 16g evo3T next project

UrbanDiplomat

Got it running...

So yesterday I replaced the water pump, crankshaft position sensor, timing belt tensioner, and both accessory drive belts. I didn't change the timing belt because it was in pretty good condition since the car had some head work done not too long ago (and I ran out of money ).

Timing belt/water pump resources:
    2.4L Timing Belt Change by theblackpearl
    2G Timing Belt TSB (can't remember where I sourced this one...sorry)

How to correctly set your oil pump gear:
    4G64 blog entry by Zy via Wordpress (excellent write-up)

I worked on it during my lunch breaks; didn't get to take the pics I needed to do a complete write-up, here are some noteworthy things though (not in any particular order):

• Have a decent prybar handy to help get the passenger side motor mount back into position.
    • Remember to LIGHTLY clamp the timing belt to the cam gear when re-installing (if you don't, it will keep falling off while installing the rest of it and piss you off)
    • You don't have to fully remove the alternator, just the tensioner that blocks the timing belt cover.
    • You don't have to remove the power steering lines to and from the pump; just remove the pump from the bracket, sit it aside, and the bracket from the motor.
    • A/C Compressor does not have to be touched.

There is a ton of additional information in the links listed above. Do not treat what I've written as law, but as another helpful bit of information you can use to get the job done.

OH! I told you guys I'd tell you how the service was with Rock Auto Parts...they were great. My parts shipped the same day and arrived exactly when they said they would. I was provided Fedex tracking hyperlinks as well. I wouldn't suggest ordering from Autozone online. I requested next day shipping and my order wasn't even looked at until I called 3 days later!!!

< Check My Garage for pics of the parts and installed water pump. Next are struts, springs, axles, and tie rods.

UrbanDiplomat
    I have an issue . My new water pump is leaking pretty bad at its outlet, right above the alternator. I was sure to replace the o-ring using the one provided, the pump outlet felt pretty snug when I pushed it onto the receiving pipe, and I torqued down all of its bolts pretty good. Did I miss something in connecting the water pump outlet to the pipe? Is there like a sound or feeling that will let me know it's been properly attached? Thanks in advance.

You should have put a layer of RTV on the water pipe under the o-ring seal and then one in the water pump housing where the o-ring slides in. The RTV helps the o-ring to slide in, acts like a lubricant, and then seals it after time. I have pinched the o-ring before going in the water pump and it cuts a chunk of it. It sucks especially when you have bunch of crap to remove to get to it. Use slight twisting moves sliding the water pipe instead of just pushing it straight in
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

UrbanDiplomat
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    You should have put a layer of RTV on the water pipe under the o-ring seal and then one in the water pump housing where the o-ring slides in. The RTV helps the o-ring to slide in, acts like a lubricant, and then seals it after time. I have pinched the o-ring before going in the water pump and it cuts a chunk of it. It sucks especially when you have bunch of crap to remove to get to it. Use slight twisting moves sliding the water pipe instead of just pushing it straight in
    Rats. Thanks man. Looks like I'll be going back in next weekend. I'll take the time to do a better write up with photos this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12