The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3" Air Filter Intake Option OEM LOOKALIKE (aka CA street legal air intake)

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

3" Air Filter Intake Option OEM LOOKALIKE (aka CA street legal air intake)

So here's the goal: I'm swapping over to the 3" GM MAF with translator, with 3" piping all the way to the reducer coupler at the throttle body. The idea is to replicate an OEM look so if I ever get visually inspected, it looks legit.

Well, all of this is very easy except for the air filter part. Can't exactly get a 3" cone filter and slap it on and call it a day. Maybe if they made them in black, but eGay is ricefest 2011 with cone air filters.

I've been looking at getting OEM airboxes from GM MAF equipped cars and running a regular style filter, but the whole point of going with the GM MAF was to improve airflow significantly; getting ANY airbox would null and void that.

Ideally, I wish I could slap on a cone filter and fab up some kinda box around it, just 4 sides or so, so from up top it looks legit, but underneath it's all open. That's probably what will wind up happening unless you guys can throw out some creative ideas...

LET 'EM COME
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

can you take the airbox and cut the bottom and little of sides off so it looks stock and u have the cone filter underneath. so all it will do is look like a stock box. what kind of piping are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

3" aluminum piping. i'd love to slap the MAF right onto the throttle body, but that damn return line from the valve cover needs a return nipple right before the throttle body....

your idea that i already kinda mentioned is really my best and only option; somehow get an airbox and fab up a cone filter in there, gut out the bottom and settle for that.

wanted to see if anyone else could think of something or had ideas....

i'm tempted to just get a regular cone filter and run it behind the transmission/axle so it's completely hidden. airflow isn't amazing back there though :(

1994 Galant GS 5spd

This is pretty close to the idea you mentioned already, but if I were going for the oem look, I would fab up something like the ARC box for the evo, only in black. Maybe even make a cover for it for inspection days. Otherwise you could just run the intake down behind a meshed out fog light opening. (It's actually what I'm doing right now with mine.)
    Engine bay pic here

Isn't there a plug and play harness(no hacking needed) that maft sells? That would only be a couple minute job to swap back to stock box just before annual inspection. Run the vents to a catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Isn't there a plug and play harness(no hacking needed) that maft sells? That would only be a couple minute job to swap back to stock box just before annual inspection. Run the vents to a catch can.
    that's what i'm using. it's not to dodge annual inspection, but road-side inspection in case i ever get pulled over. i'll swap back to OEM for smog for sure

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I'm currectly using the 2G Turbo airbox with a K&N air filter. You will have to make a custom bracket to hold the airbox, move the battery over, and use a Weapon R MAS adapter(it's 3" and for $12 last time I check)for the airbox to run the 3" pipe & GM MAF.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

get 1g eclipse/hyundai metal airbox, if you like it of course. it already has 3'' round outlet. you can gut it and place a cone filter in it. the outlet is a little offset so you may want to weld a piece of sheetmetal on the back side and then cut a centered hole in it. Then get some longer bolts and screw the GM maf right in it using its own bolt pattern. Since the GM maf will be showin inside the air can, you can clamp the filter right on it
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

99-04 ford mustangs have cone filters inside their filterboxes.

Would give you essentially limitless options for aftermarket filters.

However, just because a factory airbox may not have a cone filter doesn't make it evil. Cone filters are all about surface area. The more filtered surface area, the more pores for air to enter, and the result is less resistance.
    If you use a nice filter(and most any filter has a LOT of pleats, then you still have close to the same surface area as a cone filter)
    Then there is the how much surface area do you REALLY need. I.E. just cause a 5" exhaust outflows a 3" exhaust.... do you really need the 5", when your engine output needs(or intake for you) could be met with a 2.75" pipe?

Why do you think so many honda guys that make HUGE power get away with keeping the factory civic airboxes.
    Cause they meet the flow requirements AND already draw air from outside of the engine bay.

So it seems to me maybe all you need is an airbox with a 3" post-filter outlet, and maybe a 3" pre filter cold air inlet. The you can tuck it over where your battery used to be, and hide the cold air ducting inside the fender.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

With that being said, perhaps a 95 civic intake box would be best.... hmmm

anyways, You could always get the rest of your intake pipe bend out of whatever metal, and have it powdercoated wrinkle black. Or you could just plasti-dip it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i get what you're saying and agree, but as long as i get to use the GM Maf I'm happy. i don't care if i use a cone filter, airbox system from another car, or just retrofit my current airbox! i just want the best option for direct fitment on the GM MAF sensor.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Stock 7G airbox is a POS. Love my 2G airbox.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Do what mysticj says. Get a 2g turbo airbox, then get a 2g/7g MAS adapter off ebay, the one that has the 3'' inlet and install it backwards on the airbox with the inlet pointing out. From there on youll need 3'' coupler to the GM MAF and after that you know it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Do what mysticj says. Get a 2g turbo airbox, then get a 2g/7g MAS adapter off ebay, the one that has the 3'' inlet and install it backwards on the airbox with the inlet pointing out. From there on youll need 3'' coupler to the GM MAF and after that you know it.
    i think that's my best option....

1994 Galant GS 5spd

blue8g
    Honda reference but:

Google the 'Comptech Icebox'. Comptech was one of the best non-Japanese tuners for Hondas and their CAI set up was preferred pretty universally for anyone looking for power gains rather than sound/appearance

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    I'm currectly using the 2G Turbo airbox with a K&N air filter. You will have to make a custom bracket to hold the airbox, move the battery over, and use a Weapon R MAS adapter(it's 3" and for $12 last time I check)for the airbox to run the 3" pipe & GM MAF.
    where did you get the airbox from?

From dsmtuners.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

i think 2G airbox is gonna have to do. I'd love to stick a cone filter into a box and gut it out, but this is a little more legit and i could actually run it when i get smogged! haah

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Planning to add a 3" flex pipe from the box to an opening in the front bumper, probably next or remove the RH foglamp. I like it, it sounds almost like a CAI once the rpms start climbing. No resonators just volume on the 2G airbox.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Are you going to add a GM IAT with MAFT?

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals