The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I4 Balance Shaft Sprocket Alignment (Not Oil Pump)

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

I4 Balance Shaft Sprocket Alignment (Not Oil Pump)

What is the proper procedure for aligning the balance shaft belt? Or better yet, does anyone have either a diagram or a detailed explanation of where the plug is? I have seen the drawn pics of where it is but I can not seem to find it.

Is the balance shaft on a 2 to 1 like the cam shaft and the oil pump? I have tried the "let it fall" procedure on the oil pump sprocket and can verify that it is lined up however that does not seem to work on the balance shaft.

its the only bolt that sticks out off the block. Remove it and stick a screw driver in it. spin the oil pump sprocket until the sprocket mark lines up and the screw driver goes in almost completely. this is for the oil pump balance shaft. the silent balance shaft is driven by the belt. it has its own mark that looks like triangle. it just has to line up with the mark thats all
    Last edited by mko; 01-22-2011 at 02:45 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Ok, I was under the impression that it was like the oil pump. Thanks for the info, hopefully I can get it put back together now.

For the life of me, I couldn't find the fucking bolt to stick the screwdriver in. So I just lined up the marks then just made sure all of them were lined up when I tightened the tensioner.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

the bolt is lined up with the outlet tip of that turbo

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gnaunited View Post
    What is the proper procedure for aligning the balance shaft belt? Or better yet, does anyone have either a diagram or a detailed explanation of where the plug is? I have seen the drawn pics of where it is but I can not seem to find it.

Is the balance shaft on a 2 to 1 like the cam shaft and the oil pump? I have tried the "let it fall" procedure on the oil pump sprocket and can verify that it is lined up however that does not seem to work on the balance shaft.
    There are a few DIY threads on here that give you step by step along with pictures on how to replace a timing belt and everything.

here is one.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...nkshaft+sensor

I am at the part where you put everything back on after having to rebuild the head because the timing belt broke while running. From what I can tell that tut is missing a few things. I was just under the impression that both balance shafts had two possible different alignments with only one true one.

I was just under the impression that both balance shafts had two possible different alignments with only one true one.
    what do u mean?

There are 2 balance shafts, one is attached to the oil pump and its driven by a gear and the second one is at the front of the engine, under the starter, and its driven by a belt.

The one at the oil pump spins in a direction opposite of the crank and the one driven by the belt spins in the same direction as the crank and that is how they "balance" the engine by counterbalancing each other.

I saw your other thread. dont assume any marks for the oil pump before you have that screw driver in that hole. Without this done the engine will vibrate a lot more.

Here's how its done. Click on Engine Mechanical and then timing belt removal and installation

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/11A.PDF
    Last edited by mko; 01-23-2011 at 09:56 PM

Build Thread

The way I understand it is there is 1 alignment every 360* on the left shaft, and 1 alignment every 720* on the right shaft. As in on the left shaft the mark is the true mark, but on the right you need to make sure using the screw driver method. Or is this not right at all?

I should mention that this is the 4g64. The belt driven one is near the rear of the engine, whereas the oil pump driven one is at the front.

The way I understand it is there is 1 alignment every 360* on the left shaft, and 1 alignment every 720* on the right shaft. As in on the left shaft the mark is the true mark, but on the right you need to make sure using the screw driver method. Or is this not right at all?
    correct

I should mention that this is the 4g64. The belt driven one is near the rear of the engine, whereas the oil pump driven one is at the front.

yes

Build Thread

Ok, this means that I do not have to pull off the crank shaft bolt sprocket again to fix it.

you shouldnt be getting that bolt out unless youre replacing the front case gasket or eliminating the balance shafts.

Build Thread