The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Avital 2200 Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Avital 2200 Help

Hey guys, I have an Avital 2200 alarm system on my car. I need to get another remote (ebay of course) and I'm looking at putting remote start on it.

Any help/suggestions?
    -Andrew

forget about the other remote and just get a new alarm with remote start that way u only have to carry 1 remote at a time.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

It has an accessory button I guess you could call it for remote start. Is it not possible to just add on to the existing system?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    It has an accessory button I guess you could call it for remote start. Is it not possible to just add on to the existing system?

if you buy a remote starter, 9 times out of 10, it will come with 2 remotes.

you can either A. buy an alarm with a remote starter and call it a day or B. buy a remote starter, throw away the two remotes, figure out how to integrate it into your existing system and then buy a new remote.

as long as you purchase another alarm/remote starter from Directed, many of the harnesses you can reuse anyways so labor is probably gonna be easier if you buy a whole new unit.
    Last edited by pinoyesv6; 01-23-2011 at 11:12 AM

AvitalĀ® 4003
    This should allow you to integrate remote start into your car using your existing system and key fobs(remotes).

Is it easy to do you think?

-Andrew

yes and no. if youve never installed a auto start then id suggest getting a professional installer to do it for you or at least pay one to walk you through it step by step. you connect the wrong wires and you can cause serious dmg to your cars wiring and or ecu and also to engine. auto starts get wired into injector lines and the alarm system. any aftermarket alarm installed in our cars get added to the factory alarm and essentially overide it. not completely but enough to make the car think there is only one alarm. bottom line they are in direct comunication with the ECU of the car.

Ahh okay... Definitely NOT something I will try to do.

So I guess I'd be better off just getting a whole new box with remote start. Is it plug and play? Or would the whole system have to be redone?
    -Andrew

Not plug and play half of the wires for a remote start security key less entry have to be spliced into existing factory wiring.

it will cost you more to get a whole new system.

You will have to pay for removal of the old system. Then pay for installation of the new system, plus most companies have a seperate charge for the remote start wiring process.
    Also be preparred for charges to fix any issues found if the first system was installed sloppy or haphazardly.
    Bill should look something like:
    Uninstall of
    Previous Alarm -$100
    Wiring Cleanup -$75
    Viper 2301 -$750
    Install Labor:
    Remote start -$150
    Security/
    Keyless Entry -$200
    Trunk Module -$75
    Backup Battery -$50
    Misc Parts -$20

Sub Total -A Lot
    Tax -More than state deserves
    Total -Enough to make me cry!

Any reputable install shop wont even do the removal/install without a waiver or permission/payment to correct issues they find, it covers them against a law suit since they were the last ones to tinker with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    Not plug and play half of the wires for a remote start security key less entry have to be spliced into existing factory wiring.

You will have to pay for removal of the old system. Then pay for installation of the new system, plus most companies have a seperate charge for the remote start wiring process.
    Also be preparred for charges to fix any issues found if the first system was installed sloppy or haphazardly.
    Uninstall of
    Previous Alarm -$100
    Wiring Cleanup -$75
    Viper 2301 -$750
    Install Labor:
    Remote start -$150
    Security/
    Keyless Entry -$200
    Trunk Module -$75
    Backup Battery -$50
    Misc Parts -$20

Sub Total -A Lot

Any reputable install shop wont even do the removal/install without a waiver or permission/payment to correct issues they find, it covers them against a law suit since they were the last ones to tinker with the system.

where are you getting your numbers from??

top of the line Viper System has an MSRP of $799. Keep in mind that includes basic installation. So im not sure where you are getting $1100 for this supposed Viper 2301 installed. You would save more money if you went with a system with less bells and whistles.

Trunk Module, backup battery are totally optional and he doesn't have to pay for if he went with or without a remote starter. hell if he just kept his car alone he wouldn't need it. The only required part is the module needed to bypass the immobilizer.

Uninstallation is wire cleanup. Who is going to remove the harness and leave the wires bare. And if you are going to install a new alarm, you are going to reuse all those wires anyways so wire cleanup is part of installation. But if you go to a good alarm shop you can work out a deal with the owner where you will buy a new alarm from them if they remove your old one.
    Last edited by pinoyesv6; 01-24-2011 at 01:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post

top of the line Viper System has an MSRP of $799. Keep in mind that includes basic installation. So im not sure where you are getting $1100 for this supposed Viper 2301 installed. You would save more money if you went with a system with less bells and whistles.

Trunk Module, backup battery are totally optional and he doesn't have to pay for if he went with or without a remote starter. hell if he just kept his car alone he wouldn't need it. The only required part is the module needed to bypass the immobilizer.

Uninstallation is wire cleanup. Who is going to remove the harness and leave the wires bare. And if you are going to install a new alarm, you are going to reuse all those wires anyways so wire cleanup is part of installation. But if you go to a good alarm shop you can work out a deal with the owner where you will buy a new alarm from them if they remove your old one.
    DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS. IT WAS A MOCK UP EXAMPLE-

Did you just completly ignore:

"Sub Total -A Lot
    Total -Enough to make me cry!"
    that alone should have been the first Flag. Never mind the fact that its for a totally different setup than what me and the op were even talking about.

The whole point was so that he knew a what a proper bill would be broken down like.
    No HIDDEN CHARGES everything up front and SPOKEN for.

If you want to correct somebody make sure that you are ABSOLUTLY SURE that they made a MISTAKE in the first place. If your not sure then ASK for clarification of what they said first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as for MSRP of a Viper or ANY alarm. MSRP DOES NOT INCLUDE INSTALL. Viper nor ANY other alarm company can premandate what your total bill with install of any system can be. Hell the cost of putting the same exact model remote start into the same Year make Model vehichle changes drastically if one is manual vs automatic. So i guess the shop is supposed to eat the bullet on the extra 2hours of proper wiring it takes to make the same system work on the manual.

MSRP is a mandated Top selling price for consumers. It is set so that a consumer knows if they are being overcharged for a product. If i got to a mom and pop to buy a CANON camera set at 3999.99MSRP and they have it for 4500.00 i know to walk out because i can get it from CANON for 3999.99 directly.

In quite a few Cases the company MSRP is the mandated selling point of the product and isnt adjustable by CONTRACTED vendors IE:Playstation 3 being sold by Best Buy.

DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS. IT WAS A MOCK UP EXAMPLE-

Did you just completly ignore:

"Sub Total -A Lot
    Total -Enough to make me cry!"
    that alone should have been the first Flag. Never mind the fact that its for a totally different setup than what me and the op were even talking about.

The whole point was so that he knew a what a proper bill would be broken down like.
    No HIDDEN CHARGES everything up front and SPOKEN for.

If you want to correct somebody make sure that you are ABSOLUTLY SURE that they made a MISTAKE in the first place. If your not sure then ASK for clarification of what they said first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as for MSRP of a Viper or ANY alarm. MSRP DOES NOT INCLUDE INSTALL. Viper nor ANY other alarm company can premandate what your total bill with install of any system can be. Hell the cost of putting the same exact model remote start into the same Year make Model vehichle changes drastically if one is manual vs automatic. So i guess the shop is supposed to eat the bullet on the extra 2hours of proper wiring it takes to make the same system work on the manual.

MSRP is a mandated Top selling price for consumers. It is set so that a consumer knows if they are being overcharged for a product. If i got to a mom and pop to buy a CANON camera set at 3999.99MSRP and they have it for 4500.00 i know to walk out because i can get it from CANON for 3999.99 directly.

In quite a few Cases the company MSRP is the mandated selling point of the product and isnt adjustable by CONTRACTED vendors IE:Playstation 3 being sold by Best Buy.
    when I gave the price, I said two words. BASIC INSTALLATION That means the minimum amount of work needed for an install. if you need an immobilizer bypass, hook up for a manual transmission, installation of some extra modules, that will cost extra.

[QUOTE=pinoyesv6;647890]where are you getting your numbers from??

top of the line Viper System has an MSRP of $799. Keep in mind that includes basic installation. So im not sure where you are getting $1100 for this supposed Viper 2301 installed.
    QUOTE]
    First lets address this:
    MSRP does NOT include ANY installation fees charged by any Install shop.
    MSRP has nothing to do with any fees other than the price of the physical product.

Now as for the supposed Viper 2301 install---IT WAS A MOCK UP BILL-defined as an, EXAMPLE: a GUIDE to how a proper Bill should be BROKEN DOWN to EACH INDIVIUAL CHARGE.

when I gave the price, I said two words. BASIC INSTALLATION That means the minimum amount of work needed for an install. if you need an immobilizer bypass, hook up for a manual transmission, installation of some extra modules, that will cost extra.
    Once again MSRP Does NOT INCLUDE and/or in ANY WAY DETERMINE a shops INSTALL FEE.

I brought up the manual install Differance not in reference to parts but in reference to TIME.
    the new Viper 5902V comes with the needed components for manual transmission install.
    However what i was trying to point out was that it takes MORE TIME to install this sytem into a manual than it does into an automatic.

Therefore two people driving the same exact year make model car will pay the same exact MSRP for the same exact Remotestart/alarm. However the owner of the manual vehicle will pay more money in Installation fees do to the INCREASED INSTALL TIME.
    Any reputable shop Charges BY THE HOUR. However most reputable shops can give you a rough estimate of how long it will take to finish.

So to wrap this up and provide the OP with usefull info:
    MSRP does not include installation.
    The shop should break down each individual charge on the bill.
    If you go to a mompop shop you can haggle prices. If you go to bestbuy you cant.
    If you like your current alarm and it works fine get the AvitalĀ® 4003 remotestart added on.
    If your having issues or want something new get a basic remotestart, keyless-entry alarm system.

Thanks guys, I get what jubeiaire means... It's too damn expensive anyways.

Stop arguing... There's no need.
    -Andrew

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    yes and no. if youve never installed a auto start then id suggest getting a professional installer to do it for you or at least pay one to walk you through it step by step. you connect the wrong wires and you can cause serious dmg to your cars wiring and or ecu and also to engine. auto starts get wired into injector lines and the alarm system. any aftermarket alarm installed in our cars get added to the factory alarm and essentially overide it. not completely but enough to make the car think there is only one alarm. bottom line they are in direct comunication with the ECU of the car.
    Huh? What are you smoking? There is nothing hooked up to your "injector" lines for a remote start.

Uninstall of
    Previous Alarm -$100
    Wiring Cleanup -$75
    Viper 2301 -$750
    Install Labor:
    Remote start -$150
    Security/
    Keyless Entry -$200
    Trunk Module -$75
    Backup Battery -$50
    Misc Parts -$20

Sub Total -A Lot

I never charge anyone to remove an old system when installing a new one, especially when it is DEI. Since most of the wires are already there, it saves me half the time of finding them.

Shit, you can get a viper 5901 including basic install at my job for $500.

OP, do you have an IPhone, Android, or Blackberry? If so, buy the smart system.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    OP, do you have an IPhone, Android, or Blackberry? If so, buy the smart system.
    Yeah, I have just an iPod Touch for now... Do those actually work well?
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    Yeah, I have just an iPod Touch for now... Do those actually work well?
    I haven't heard anything bad about them

Okay cool... How do they work? I'm gonna start doing my research tonight.

-Andrew

Well the bad thing about ipod touches and the smart start. You have to be on a wifi network for them to work with it. If you used your iphone, blackberry, or android phone, it would use your internet on your phone through your service provider.

Sent from my DROIDX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast