The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Power steering overflows!

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Power steering overflows!

Ok, first off I did a search and couldn’t come up with anyone else having this problem.
    I will start off by first say yesterday it was in the teens as far as outside temperature goes. I went to start my car and had a squealing belt, this has been there since I have had the cold weather. I was thinking it was just a slightly loose belt but after popping my hood and looking under I am starting to think I have bigger problems.

The power steering reservoir was pushing fluid out from under the cap like a sieve. I probably lost as much fluid as the reservoir can hold. It has already been thru weather this cold before and I never noticed it doing that. I will add there was no difference in driving/steering of the car. Everything seemed to be just fine other then the fact of fluid pushing out of the reservoir.

I’m thinking there maybe some water in the lines causing freezing and then the pump turning on and back pressuring into the reservoir, but I’m not sure.

So I am here to see if anyone else has ever had the same problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

Most likely cause is too much pressure in the return hose of the power steering system. I would first suggest doing a power steering fluid flush. There could be some sort of restriction in the lines that is causing it. If that does not solve it, then the power steering pump would be next. If not that then the power steering rack, and related hoses (feed and return) need to be replaced.

I had the rack replaced about a year ago. Nothing was wrong with the origonal, but I have a clicking noise that was thought to be coming from the rack so that is why it was replaced.

Could be the pump or hoses.......but just weird I have had no problem until yesterday morning.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    When its coming out of the reservoir, is it just spilling and spraying out, or is it all foamy and bubbling? If its foamy and bubbling, air is getting into the system. You need to check the hoses, rack and pump for potential areas of leaks. The pump squealing is caused by air in the system. It could very well be that the pump itself went bad (seal behind the pulley) and the pump could be taking in air and causing the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

When it is coming out, the fluid is being forced out under a properly tightend cap. Its not forcing it enough to spray but enough to break the seal and ooze out. I dont really see any foam or good amount of bubbles at all.

The belt squeal is coming from my Alt. belt and if im not mistaken that one doesnt have the tension pulley so I may have to tighten it a bit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    When it is coming out, the fluid is being forced out under a properly tightend cap. Its not forcing it enough to spray but enough to break the seal and ooze out. I dont really see any foam or good amount of bubbles at all.

The belt squeal is coming from my Alt. belt and if im not mistaken that one doesnt have the tension pulley so I may have to tighten it a bit.
    Does it only happen after driving the car for a bit? Or does it happen with the car idling? Did you hit anything in the front that maybe the power steering cooler tube is bent and causing a build up or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Just saying it is over pressure in the return line. Flush the power steering fluid, start there. If it persists, follow the previously mentioned recommendations.

Now that the days are warmer I have had no problems. Looking to flush it this weekend. Is a flush something that can be done in the drive way? Or is it something I have to take it into a shop for?

He might have the wrong fluid in there... but i think its the pump i've had the same problem in 2 different cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Now that the days are warmer I have had no problems. Looking to flush it this weekend. Is a flush something that can be done in the drive way? Or is it something I have to take it into a shop for?
    It is always best with a flush machine. But in this case a power steering flush machine isn't very advanced. It can be done with a hand brake bleeder also. But a power flush machine will do overall a better job. It removes the old fluid while installing new fluid under vacuum. I know Belle Tire in Grand Rapids should have a power steering flush machine.

Make sure you use ATF for the power steering fluid. That is what our cars come with from the factory.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

^ I never knew that. Good thing I haven't had to fill it yet

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Just saying it is over pressure in the return line. Flush the power steering fluid, start there. If it persists, follow the previously mentioned recommendations.
    Thanks Red!

Also I would assume the correct fluid is in there unless the shop that replaced the rack and pinion used the wrong kind. I am starting to think it was water condensation in the lines.