The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Should I get a more powerful battery?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Should I get a more powerful battery?

I have an 05 9g, and currently it has the same battery that came with the car when I bought it in 2006. I have 2 sets of HID's installed, an after market stereo, and a couple of sets of LED's that run off one of the cigarette lighters for power. I've never had a problem with the battery before... but my question is this.

I'm about to have the 60k service done, fluid flush, timing belt, spark plugs, tune up, etc. And I'm also about to put after market boston acoustic speakers and the Alpine power pack (kind of like a smaller amp) in. Think I should get a more powerful battery just to be sure I'm putting out enough power for everything?

You will probably have to replace it soon. Batteries hardly last more than 5 or 6 years of you're lucky.

Yeah, a battery with more CCA (cold cranking amps) might help, but I doubt it's necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I run 2 12s and HIDs just fine on my car. But then again that's me and my car.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

if you want to put a better battery in you can ,but your battery should be alright.and if you do want to put another battery in get one with more cold cranking amps like dtp said.

Maybe upgrading the alternator will help. After the car is running the alternator is taking most of the work load.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Maybe upgrading the alternator will help. After the car is running the alternator is taking most of the work load.
    yeah that is true too.get a higher amp alternator.

if it works it works. Your battery will fail sooner or later. But I reccomend upgrading your grounds. A high quality grounding kit, "the big 3" and high quality battery terminals make a HUGE difference.
    Don't foreget to clean your battery terminals and posts from time to time. You can buy a 5$ battery post/terminal cleaner at walmart/autozone/etc that makes easy work of it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I'm not currently having any problems at all. I just figured, it couldn't hurt. Since I'll be buying a new battery anyway, I figured why not kick out an extra $30-40 bucks and get one with higher CCA's.

It can't hurt right?

Or do you think it won't do much good without a higher amped alternator?
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 01-24-2011 at 04:10 PM Reason: Added a piece of info

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    I'm not currently having any problems at all. I just figured, it couldn't hurt. Since I'll be buying a new battery anyway, I figured why not kick out an extra $30-40 bucks and get one with higher CCA's.

It can't hurt right?

Or do you think it won't do much good without a higher amped alternator?
    even without the higher amp alternator,a battery with higher cold cranking amps will make a pretty big diffrence when it is cold outside.it will make it start better.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    if it works it works. Your battery will fail sooner or later. But I reccomend upgrading your grounds. A high quality grounding kit, "the big 3" and high quality battery terminals make a HUGE difference.
    Don't foreget to clean your battery terminals and posts from time to time. You can buy a 5$ battery post/terminal cleaner at walmart/autozone/etc that makes easy work of it.
    +1

unless your a serious audio enthusiast with multiple subs and upgraded speakers throughout banging on the radio constantly, i would consider an upgrade such as the grounding kit..... but optima batteries are pretty nice, if its due for a change anyways...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Upgrading the big 3 and maybe more CCA will help some, but not much.

More CCA won't hurt at all.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

optima yellow top deep cycle or blue top marine dual purpose (my current battery). i have had both and both are great batteries. i have 6 HIDs, 1500watts RMS (2 amps, 6 interior speakers and 2 subs), 2 motion sensors, 2 glass sensors and 2 microwave sensors on the alarm plus all windows auto roll up, mirrors fold and sunroof close (on alarm arm, engine off), LED everything (pretty much every bulb on the outside of the car). if you r going to have a lot of electronics in the car, go w/ optima deep cycle.

I have to fully agree with REELAX i have a HID kit, a four channel amp, and a sub amp. im runing all of this with a red top optima and ive been blasting the music so much that the light dim when the bass hits and thats with my 1 farat cap... also remeber your cars electrical system is ment to run on a 12.7 volt so if your adding a higher capasity alternator it need to be within the parameters allowed by your cars electrical system check alldata. if i get a chance ill check alldata for you when i go to school next i have the same car and wanted to do the same thing...............
    BIG WILLY 9G FOO..........

get a hundred 180 amp high output alt thats what i have and have way more amps in my car