The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do I need new valve guides?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Do I need new valve guides?

I removed the head on 2002 Galant because of a blowed head gasket. The car also used a lot of oil before it had a blowed head gasket, and since I dont intend to foil with the block for possible ring problems I thought I could have done as much as possible to the head to make sure no oil consumption could be coming from it.

Now that I have the head off, I was wondering what else should be replaced in the head besides the valve stem seals? Maybe valve guides? If I have new guides installed in the head, what else has to be done in addition to the new guides? The guides are only couple dollars a piece, so I figured why not have them replaced while the head is off the car????

I want to make sure that anywhere oil could leak in the head is fixed since it is removed from the car.

then yea get new seals and guides have it checked for any leaks anyone else wanna add on i feel like im missing something.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

if it blew a head gasket, get the block/head check for warp-age... other than that you should be good. did you have a lifter tick? if so, i'd replace those too
    -Andrew

The head is being checked for cracks and warp-age. The motor never made any ticking noise.

So can new guides be installed without any other work done?

Quote Originally Posted by John165 View Post
    The head is being checked for cracks and warp-age. The motor never made any ticking noise.

So can new guides be installed without any other work done?
    I believe so, but don't quote me on it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew