The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rpms drop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    yeah i will have to do that.the recall is the ball joints corroding isnt it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    yeah i will have to do that.the recall is the ball joints corroding isnt it?
    yea, the front lower ball joints may have a chance of corroding and seperating while driving.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    yea, the front lower ball joints may have a chance of corroding and seperating while driving.
    oh man thats not good.maybe thats the noise i hear in my front end.

noises can be anything. i would get it done though
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

thats normal. all my 7gs did it with new alternators too.
    +1.

My G's RPMs also drop a lot under heavy electrical load when I first crank it up in the very cold mornings, but it goes away after the engine warms up. My alternator is very, very old and beat up though. It's cracked in like 10 different places from the previous owner's 45mph accident T-boning a car. So what I'm trying to say I guess is that any properly-functioning alternator, old or new, should do this.

Is it really idling at 200rpms...seriously? I wouldn't think that the engine would run at all if it were turning over that slow. My normal idle is 750. With full electrical load, my V-belt shrieks and my engine idle drops to ~500. Just trying to give a ballpark figure.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-28-2011 at 04:23 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    +1.

My G's RPMs also drop a lot under heavy electrical load when I first crank it up in the very cold mornings, but it goes away after the engine warms up. My alternator is very, very old and beat up though. It's cracked in like 10 different places from the previous owner's 45mph accident T-boning a car. So what I'm trying to say I guess is that any properly-functioning alternator, old or new, should do this.

Is it really idling at 200rpms...seriously? I wouldn't think that the engine would run at all if it were turning over that slow. My normal idle is 750. With full electrical load, my V-belt shrieks and my engine idle drops to ~500. Just trying to give a ballpark figure.
    no i was saying it drops 200rpm from the normal idle,it would go from 800 to 600.yeah your problem probably is your alternator.

galantwas free, i am willing to bet the tension on your belt is too loose. that what mine does, once the car warms up it doesnt do it any more and it only makes noise when its cold out.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

StockGS
    you will get an rpm drop w/ electrical loads on @ idle, esp w/ your foot on the brake. i did a test w/ mine years ago in this condition; the alternator was not able to supply enough current, my dc amp-clamp showed 5 to 10 amps being drawn from the battery...so if you're sitting in traffic with everything on and a marginal battery, you could kill it.........it happend to us! it's a design thing w/ this alternator.......you just have to be aware and keep a good battery and all is ok

the front suspension recall is important..........i did mine right after the right wheel folded under when making a hard turn in a parking lot.......hate to think if we had been on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by StockGS View Post
    you will get an rpm drop w/ electrical loads on @ idle, esp w/ your foot on the brake. i did a test w/ mine years ago in this condition; the alternator was not able to supply enough current, my dc amp-clamp showed 5 to 10 amps being drawn from the battery...so if you're sitting in traffic with everything on and a marginal battery, you could kill it.........it happend to us! it's a design thing w/ this alternator.......you just have to be aware and keep a good battery and all is ok

the front suspension recall is important..........i did mine right after the right wheel folded under when making a hard turn in a parking lot.......hate to think if we had been on the road...
    my gs is 5 speed,and the recall was done on it i called the dealer and they said it was done in 2001.

galantwas free, i am willing to bet the tension on your belt is too loose. that what mine does, once the car warms up it doesnt do it any more and it only makes noise when its cold out.
    (Sorry OP, I'm not trying to jack your thread!) The problem is, I have to adjust this tensioner about once a month or so. If I do not open the hood and put more tension on it, it gets worse and worse. The "lock bolt" that locks the tension bolt in place is as tight as I can get it without stripping threads. I'll make the belt tension very, very tight one week and then a month later it's back to being slack again. So there's not much else I can really do except replace the mangled alternator. I believe the multiple cracks in the alternator housing are allowing it to move with respect to the bracket that mounts it. This is what's causing my belt squeal...or so I think anyway
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-02-2011 at 12:36 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by mygalantwasfree View Post
    (Sorry OP, I'm not trying to jack your thread!) The problem is, I have to adjust this tensioner about once a month or so. If I do not open the hood and put more tension on it, it gets worse and worse. The "lock bolt" that locks the tension bolt in place is as tight as I can get it without stripping threads. I'll make the belt tension very, very tight one week and then a month later it's back to being slack again. So there's not much else I can really do except replace the mangled alternator. I believe the multiple cracks in the alternator housing are allowing it to move with respect to the bracket that mounts it. This is what's causing my belt squeal...or so I think anyway

if the alternator is on its way out replace that and replace the tensioner for that belt. those go bad sometimes too. then you should be good to go. and you never replied my PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

if the alternator is on its way out replace that and replace the tensioner for that belt. those go bad sometimes too. then you should be good to go. and you never replied my PM
    The tensioner on the alternator belt appears to be part of the alternator itself. I just sent a PM your way, sorry bout that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12