The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: General Question Thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 52 of 52
    Are the heat shields on the exhaust under the car 100% necessary? I have one rattling and Ive tied it with wire but it just works loose. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    Are the heat shields on the exhaust under the car 100% necessary? I have one rattling and Ive tied it with wire but it just works loose. Thanks.
    I dont think it is. Its useful for keeping foreign objects from burning onto the pipe like plastic bags etc. I'd just take it off...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

At school they told us heat shields are necessary because they keep the heat in the cats to help them reach operating temp faster, I know if it takes too long for them to get to temp they can throw a code, but that probably doesn't happen often unless the cat is on its way out anyway. Haven't spoken to a pro about it, though.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

i removed mine long time ago
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Ok thanks guys.

I believe the heat shield's job is to act like a thermal jacket, insulating the exhaust manifold and thereby keeping the exhaust gases hot. Hotter exhaust gases are less dense and thus the engine can purge them faster, meaning more +hp. That's just my understanding though.

EDIT: If it's being annoying as s***, just remove the shield and add exhaust wrap. (That's what I would do anyway)
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

What will a car do if it needs a throttle position sensor? Is it an expensive part? Will one off of a 98 work on a 94? What if the 94 is a Gs?
    Thanks

parts should all be the same, i do know the DOHC was slightly different and not familiar with it, if u have CAPS u can cross reference the TPS on both

Thanks I just cross referenced them on autozone and they should are the same.lol I forgot that I can do that. I just came back to remove that part of the question.lol

What are the symptoms?

Thanks I just cross referenced them on autozone and they should are the same.lol I forgot that I can do that. I just came back to remove that part of the question.lol

What are the symptoms?
    The symptoms? If your car is OBDII, then the ECU should throw a code and show a check engine light on the dashboard. The engine can also stall out at idle.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

i have a question! ^__^ where is the ECU located in a 96? i ask cuz my idle goes up and down (never turned off though) and i changed the whole throttle body (i had code 505) so im thinking maybe it's the ecu, so ima try replacing it,

To fix the heat shield rattle just get a large metal clamp and tighten it up.

ECU on 94-98 is located in space below radio. It is a pain to access. Best bet is to go in from the passenger side. I'd do some more checking around to be sure it is the ECU before just swaping it out.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123