The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hint for installing rear shocks

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

hint for installing rear shocks

I found when I removed my old rear shocks that the new shocks were longer than the old one so I had to push the shock mount point down far enough to get the strut end on it. Easiest way I found was to just get a BFB (big F@#ken bar) and lever it down. Here are a couple of pictures. On the passenger side I wedged the BFB against the gas tank mounting bracket.

jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

How was it that replacement shocks were longer?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    it shouldnt be longer. when i install mine, i get them inside where they should be in relation to the control arm, then catch them up to then push down on the hub a little and it always goes on easy
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

The new shock is the same length as the old one. I should have written the rear wheel/shock mount was higher than the bottom of the shock and try as I might I could not force the rear wheel/shock mount down to align the rear wheel/shock mount to the bottom of the shock. That is what prompted me to get the BFB and lever it down. With the bar in place I had no problems aligning them and bolting up the shock.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

what i did is push down on the wheel studs. i'm 240 lbs lol its cake

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Kolio, I am carrying 220 and that SOB rear hub/shock mount would only move an inch or so, definately not enough to get the shock on. That is where the BFB came in handy.
    jjj

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    lol with the big bar. im 210 and push down to make it fit. i guess i can get enough leverage on it from the football i played
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    Kolio, I am carrying 220 and that SOB rear hub/shock mount would only move an inch or so, definately not enough to get the shock on. That is where the BFB came in handy.
    when i i bounce on it lol it goes down over 2". plus i have my cuz to slide in the new shock. 4 hands are better than 2.

the irony is when i swapped in the coilovers they were shorter. i had to jack it up to fit it.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I know we not talking bout weight. In the 3's here. I dont look it is what ive been told. Im 6'2 and used to weight train. I just put my size 14 on the rear drum and that bitch goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I just put my size 14 on the rear drum and that bitch goes down.
    No doubt! :)
    jjj