The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how hard to install a turbo by urself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    John88

how hard to install a turbo by urself?

im just thinking of installing it myself to save lil more money. i asked a local shop nearby me, and he said i need atleast 7gran for everything. ive been doin lots of reading and searching here, lots of info and very helpful. i can pretty much get anything i need. im worried about intallation and if there is anything electrical. im pretty sure lots of u had done it. im not much mechanically incline, just basics. 01 galant 4cyl. ive had the car for good 3yrs and its my daily driver. i just did suspension and intake for looks and save lil bit gas. now i decided to make it a faster daily driver. much appreciation for future help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    dont jump in too fast. you need to research what you need to use, options, upgrades, tips and what you need made etc for the 8g. you can get all the parts for under 2 grand easy, you just need to make it all work.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    If you've done it before, then it's fairly simple. If you never done it, then it will be very difficult and very fulish to attempt it by yourself.

but 7 Grand!? I'd attempt it myself too for that much. It wont even cost him half that to get all the parts, accessories and tools!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    but 7 Grand!? I'd attempt it myself too for that much. It wont even cost him half that to get all the parts, accessories and tools!
    That's why I said, fairly simple if you know what to do, on the pockets too because you know what you need and you don't just buy a stupid kit that is most likely crap anyways.

there isnt a whole lot to putting a turbo on, a few bolts and bam its on. The parts you would have troubles with is intercooler pipeing, downpipe and exhaust. Other than that you will have to run some Vac/Boost lines which can get minorly confusing, wire a few sensors( not many 4 at max), ECU swap cause its a PITA to get to lol. PLus there is alot of little bs stuff that you have to do that i didnt list, gotta do some work yourself, and i just woke up so i may be forgetting things.

I think the oil feed and return lines would be a bitch (knowing where to tap and all), sensor and wiring would be a pain I think. But I think if you follow what the guys have done here and questions (after you are seriously stumped) it is doable. 7 grand is rediculous and if you really want boost that bad I'd say try it yourself if you have a daily. Take your time, do it properly you should be ok. If you REALLY want....with that amount just buy a used 1 or 2G and call it a day

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

The key factor in being able to successfully install a trubo set-up is understanding how the system works.

You can't just slap the turbo on and call it a day. It's a matter of being able to adequately cooling and lubricating the turbo along with the rest of the motor. And then you need to worry about fuel, and fuel management. You HAVE to understand all of the supporting systems to successfully pull it off whilst having a reliable car to drive everyday. Also, if the car is your daily driver plan to have a minimum of a couple of days to install everything.

GalantTuner is right, you can get the parts for less than 2k though you will have to shop around quite a bit and try your luck on a few parts.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

John88
    thnx lots guys. my major concerns are the oil and cooling line, also any electrical. how do i do that. if i buy a turbo will it come wit lines that i need and instructions? im getting a turbo header from evo 8, wat turbo/s will fit on it? as far as fuel system go, wat do i have to do? really appreciate all efforts for helping

Pm galant306m he will tell you how to do Everything right the first time.....

Lol
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by John88 View Post
    thnx lots guys. my major concerns are the oil and cooling line, also any electrical. how do i do that. if i buy a turbo will it come wit lines that i need and instructions? im getting a turbo header from evo 8, wat turbo/s will fit on it? as far as fuel system go, wat do i have to do? really appreciate all efforts for helping
    You're requesting the members on this forum to explain all that to you!? If I wanted to write about all of it it would take me an hour. Do I want to spend an hour explaining this...no, i dont think anyone would want to. So get familiar with the search button and all the fancy things it does. I usually am not one of the people who will tell you off and go to "Search", but its just too much information you want to know. And I dont think you have a basic idea of what to do and how to do it.

So just briefly:

You need an Evo 8 oil pan or drill and install fitting on your oil pan for the oil return line. The oil feed is from the head or a "t" the oil pressure sensor on the back of the engine, I forget.

"if i buy a turbo will it come wit lines that i need and instructions" - I guess you're asking about an Ebay turbo here. Well, it may come with some sort of lines, low quality ones perhaps. No ebay brand turbo is good unless the actual "real" turbos that are sold there.

The evo exhaust manifold(header) will fit, but as you know you can only use it with Evo8/9 turbos and also as you know it wont clear the starter, so you need a spacer there. you could use DSM manifold with a DSM turbo (non ebay brand) which actually may cost you less.

As of the fuel system, you can use the stock FPR or upgrade to adjustable FPR preferably. YOu'll also need some sort of fuel controller - SAFC or MAFT or both work just fine for a beginner level turbo setup. You can use DSM 450cc injectors, but you'll need to swap the injector plugs and add a resistor pack, because the DSM injectors are low impedance or you can get 440cc Subaru (forget the model) which are P'n'P and high impedance and do not require resistor pack.

So get some reading done............GL
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

John88
    i actually hav evo 8 stock manifold and turbo. thanx for the help.

John88
    wat about intercooler. wat can i use or wat size will fit?

depends on that, you will have to shoot some measurments for the opening in the bumper. for diametr of pipeing 2 inch would suffice

you going to use stock bumper, or a jdm one? I would personally try to fill up the entire opening of the bumper with an intercooler

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

7 grand?!

Did you Drive up in your Phantom, and walk up in a suit and tie??

Idk how much to turbo our cars would go for, but definitely not 7k... maybe one of the turbo guys on the forum here knows...

John88
    im keeping my stock bumpers. thnx. any suggestion on brands and/or where to get it?

spearco, or a stock evo 8 one should fit, but don't quote me on that

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    spearco, or a stock evo 8 one should fit, but don't quote me on that
    stock evo 8 is too tall.

This is about the right size for the 99-01 bumpers

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-u...all-black.html

This one might but idk, and its to damn cold to go choot some measurments for you
    http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-u...rge-black.html

$7000 sounds about right if they are picking the turbo + manifold + all the fabrication for the intercooler, and exhaust piping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast