The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what do you prefer turbo or the supercharger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTZ27
    being biased myself....give me a good example of a V6 6G72 that has a TC that has run even good without the addition of a Haltech???
    Mine Oh wait you said runs good
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

On the old RPW webb site, they said that running a supercharger causes higher temps., and that most tuners just run a richer mix to lower temps.
    ( I can't find the quote on the new site or I would post the eaxct quote)
    How does that affect the engine in the long and short run.
    If you add an I/C to a supercharger would that keep oil on the proper temp range?
    As far as "lag" if you do nothing to an engine but bolt on a T/C or a S/C why would there be any lag? The engine would just run as it did prior to adding either of those.
    Also a supercharger, unless it is a roots type, would probably need some RPM build up before really kicking in also ..no?

And last, if I don't want to change the piston heads I probaly can't go over say 8PSI max, so which setup, a TC or a S/C with the right exhaust, would be a better set up for regular stop light to stop light and daily driving?
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

SuperchargedGTZ
    well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. think about it is just commen sense. a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. just my opinion.

Censee
    arent there supercharger intercoolers on the ripp kits???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. Â*think about it is just commen sense. Â*a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Â*Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. Â*so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. Â*but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. Â*just my opinion.</div>

Why would you tun a T/C without an I/C?
    My question was about running a S/C with an I/C

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. Â*think about it is just commen sense. Â*a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Â*Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. Â*so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. Â*but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. Â*just my opinion.</div>

Why would you tun a T/C without an I/C?
    My question was about running a S/C with an I/C

What I am asking is this: puting an intercooler on a suprcahrged engine would do what to oil temp?

Is there such a thing a temp too low for oil to flow properly?

mitsu4G64
    so are you sayin that if i put on a supercharger then i have to get some type of intercooler ... i don't get it

The rippmods kit doesnt come with an intercooler. It will be interesting this summer running the ripp kit in 117 degree heat.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>The rippmods kit doesnt come with an intercooler. Â*It will be interesting this summer running the ripp kit in 117 degree heat.</div>

With temps that high out there in Vegas, what methods are you going to use to keep the temps down.. I know myself im running a spearco front mount of a 2g DSM, but we dont get as hot here in Florida as you guyz do out there in Sin City..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Thats a good questions, I might have to get the front mount this summer and not really push it hard. Its something to think about for sure. I'll talk to Ross and ask his opinion. Its a dry heat, but hell it sure is still hot!
    Love,
    Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know myself im running a spearco front mount of a 2g DSM, but we dont get as hot here in Florida as you guyz do out there in Sin City..</div>

I am assuming you u gonna run some aftermarket intercooler that was put on 2g dsm.
    Yeah, temp in vegas rich way over 100 in the summer, I am not going to boost it much myself, cuz queit frenkly with AC on, i blew my shit last year.
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

b-boy_sky
    I thought that you couldn't run an intercooler with a s/c unless it was a centrifugal s/c.....

SuperchargedGTZ
    i was just replying to the statement that was made about s/c causing more heat than a t/c.

but, no, currently the kit does not come with an I/C. but will soon. this is one of the projects Ross is doing.

also, to the comment about the s/c? this is a centrifugal blower.

Me being biased

all in all with a s/c it cost WAY more and you dont get an intercooler..hmm that doesnt make sense to me. And correct me if Im wrong but you can always make more power with a t/c setup unlike a s/c what u pay for is what u get, add an intercooler and get alittle more. yes a s/c is more reliable but who really cares frankly if your not in the state of mindto tune and maintain your car drive it stock so thats out the window. What else, the powers constant yup constantly set by a lil black box or something lol. T/c the use of a boost controller can make your car go from highway to track with the press of a lil button. I would get a s/c to stand out but you pay for it. You pay more and you get so much less

Comments expressed by Mante are those of he and he alone a response is not recommended.....

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>i prefer BIG, naturally aspirated engines.

nothing sweeter than a 455 cubic inch pontiac motor cranking out 500 hp on pump gas.</div>

yep, my old '88 Bonneville could lay that down no problem. LOL

...U N D E A D...

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>As far as "lag" if you do nothing to an engine but bolt on a T/C or a S/C why would there be any lag? The engine would just run as it did prior to adding either of those.</div>

Turbo lag bro, ever heard of it? and you are exaclty right, if you just bolt it on then your car will run just as it did before while you are spooling up to approx. 3000rpm. then the turbo kicks it. the "lag" is time it takes the car to boost. thats why people get NOS, to fill the lower-end gap.

as far as lag with the S.C., well I dont think there really is. it is designed for off-the-line acceleration, or low end torque.

...U N D E A D...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12