The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Install a Mini H1 HID Projectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

How to Install a Mini H1 HID Projectors

How to retrofit a MINI H1 Projector into your stock Headlight

This guide was created by myself and was first posted in www.ozvr4.com the guide below was cut and pasted, but was also slightly modified to suit LHD drive cars..

with the USDM headlights (single reflector) same procedure still applies, but with the addition of the bi-xenon wires hooked up to your hi beam wire.. also you will need to purchase a relay kit for your car.. like the kit in the link shown below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-H...ht_3540wt_1165

Pre-Installation Check

Check if your Oven is big enough to fit 1 headlight assembly

Check if your headlight is suitable enough for the install - eg.. cracks, scratches & etc..

Check if your projector modules are both LHD or specifically configured for your road use (guide was originally created for RHD setup)

Check if you have all the necessary tools and accessories to complete the project.

Tools needed..
    1x long nose pliers
    1x + screw driver
    1x - screw driver (preferably one with a wide head - for prying)
    2x Big 'C' Clamps
    1x egg timer or timer app from your mobile phone :)
    Pair of Leather Gloves - TIG Welding Gloves are preferred as its thick but soft enough so you can move your fingers easily..

Accessories included with the Projector Modules
    2x H7 Adaptor (not needed)
    2x H4 Adaptors
    2x Big Silicon Washer
    2x Thin Silicon Washer
    2x Aluminum Nut
    2x Bulb Holder Clip (Installed in the Module)
    2x Bulb Holder (Installed in the Module)
    6x Bulb Holder's Screws (Installed in the Module)

Extra Accessories needed for the USDM Single Reflector Headlights
    1x bi-xenon Relay kit -assuming that this also comes with a guide for your ease of installation..

If you have all the stuff listed above, then you ready to proceed with this project

1. remove your headlights from your car..

2. remove all the bulbs and connectors currently installed (dont worry about the park bulb wire as its there permanently)

3. put the headlight assembly in the oven.. BUT BEFORE YOU DO.. Do these following check ups..

4. after pre-heat, put your headlight in the oven for approximately 3-5 minutes @ approximately 140* Celcius - this way the headlight assembly wont melt or lose its shape..

5. Keeping in mind the tabs on the lens cover and assembly.. lift this up slightly, enough so that it wont be in any way damage while you're performing step 6.

6. after heating the headlight, remove it and put it on your work bench and start to pull the lens cover way from the assembly..

*NOTE* try to make sure that the sealant don't touch the good part of the lens cover as well as the reflectors otherwise it'll be a PITA to remove..

7. Once you have removed the lens cover, start to pull out the rear facing reflector, so you can insert the projector module in place.. you can do this by removing the screws holding the park light's bulb holder, then once you've removed it you can secure the park light's bulb holder back

these are what you need to remove so you can install the module into the housing..

At this stage you are now ready to install the projector module into your headlight's factory housing..

8. Insert the silicon washer (included in the kit) onto the back of the projector module, then insert the module into the factory housing.. keep in mind of the bi-xenon's solenoid cable, insert that first if you wish to use it or otherwise cut it off..

9. Secure the projector module by using the adaptor washer and the ring nut provided.. use whichever adaptor that you need - either H4 or H7

10. Before fully locking the nut, make sure that your projector is aligned properly, rotate to either direction if needed.. then fully lock it - you need a bit of force but not too much otherwise you will break the reflector..

11. Mount the bulb holder by using 3 screws provided, then insert the H1 hid bulb that you have selected or included in the kit. After this you can secure the bulb by using the clip provided.. should be installed like in the picture below

12. plug in the hid bulb with your hid ballast and test..

13. Insert the Shroud that came with the Projector Modules - as pictured below

14. Once happy put the lens cover back on (clean it first if you need to) and put it back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes @ 140*C

15. After heating it, remove the headlight from the oven and further push in the lens on to the assembly and secure it by using couple of 'C' Clamps and let it cool down for about 10-30 minutes.. again keep in mind of the tabs so they don't break/snap *note* I used rags to dampen the clamps as well as to not scratch the lens..

16. Re-check your work in case you have missed something.. then install it back..

17. Enjoy!

Any Questions?! feel free to pm me or add to this thread..

Awesome write up! Moved to the Knowledge Base... thank you for sharing...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Bump for anyone looking to do a Mini retrofit. For the USDM its the same thing except only one projector and you will be using the H4 adapter not the H7.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    A note should be made as well

-So you don't have to heat the units up again, aim the headlights on your car without the lens on.

The mini's have a notch on them when used with their H4 or H7 adapters you get them spot on for horizontal alignment. But it wouldn't hurt to do a quick check before they are sealed up.

For some reason I did not get the silicon washer. Guess i gotta contact TRS.

^ it's not absolutely needed, but not bad to have in there, I put mine in.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^ it's not absolutely needed, but not bad to have in there, I put mine in.
    Yeah but mine still wiggles around even when I still have the nut tightened as far as it can go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

^ you didn't dremel the stock reflectors did you?

No sir. The reason I got these projectors was the ease of installation. I certainly was not about to mess up my only set of heads I contacted trs. Hopefully they have an answer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hey how'd you get your h4 adapter on, I'm having a hard time putting it on the projector
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"

Quote Originally Posted by JDyal View Post
    Hey how'd you get your h4 adapter on, I'm having a hard time putting it on the projector
    At the end of the projector theres a notch so the adaptor has a little thing stick out of it so you have to line that up to the notch and it should slide right in.

Also I talked to Andrew @ TRS and he said that since I got the discounted projectors, the silicon washer were not included and Ill have to find something at a hardware store. Any suggestions?

I bought mine 50% off because they were "value mini's". Bought to pairs and all 4 came with them.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

Interesting. Well I dont want to go through the hassle of shipping anything that small. Ill rather just find something to substitute them

It would have to be something that can withstand heat.

Also fyi, TRS can sell miscellaneous parts and still ship free. Last week I bought a mini reflector bowl with nut cuz I hacked mine up. Cost me $15 shipped.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

Alright. Ill look into it. Thanks!

Go to the retrofitsource.com they have a premad eiwirn harness also for not too much, and they have clear lenses and bi-xenon so you can still have hi low function. I got myballasts and bulb off a junked rx8 for 50 bucks but unless u have the same I doubt a set of ballasts is that cheap. Trust me the site is great. They also I think have video of the how to on heating the light in your oven. I made a video also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

I totally forgot that I had this here...

... and glad to know its still here :)

Experienced TGC Member
    Saving up my pennies to do this retro. Been thinking about doing this for the past couple of months.

Here is mine with a lil extra. Installed halos and demon eyes.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast