The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to remove crank position sensor?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

How to remove crank position sensor?

My crank position sensor needs to be replaced. I've got it disconnected at the top and the bottom (by the crank) but I can't figure out how to remove it altogether. Do I need to unbolt the power steering pump from the block? It looks like the wire goes behind the mount for this pump but I can't tell where it goes from there.

undo the bolts of the t-belt cover, pry it open a bit an pull it out.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I've already got both the top and bottom timing belt covers off. The sensor is disconnected up top and unbolted down below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's what I'm dealing with. Kind of hard to see what it is, but the first pic is kind of showing where the wire is going from the top, behind the power steering pump bracket. The second is another view from the top from another angle. The arrow in both pics is pointing to the wire.

Is it not supposed to be like this? My Haynes book says the same as you did, just unbolt it and remove it.

you can just cut the wires and pull it from the bottom and then install the new one and run the wire thru somewhere easier to remove if necessary

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    you can just cut the wires and pull it from the bottom and then install the new one and run the wire thru somewhere easier to remove if necessary
    That's what I was thinking... but wasn't sure where to run it so it wouldn't interfere with the timing belt or pulleys. I've been looking at some of the pics on this site (in the timing belt replacement threads) and what I see there doesn't jive with what I've got.

Where is it supposed to go?

The wire goes thru a metal plate that acts like a dustshield. That plate is held by the motor mount that is bolted to the block. remove the mount and the plate should come out with the sensor

Build Thread

The wire goes thru a metal plate that acts like a dustshield. That plate is held by the motor mount that is bolted to the block. remove the mount and the plate should come out with the sensor
    Would you happen to have a picture of this?

I've got the motor mount out already, I'm not seeing any plates...

the last pic you posted, one of the fingers is on the bolt of the motor mount bracket and where the CPS wires pop out from behind the PS pump thats the plate i was talkin about. The plate also has that rubber plug for the Mitsu tool

Build Thread

the last pic you posted, one of the fingers is on the bolt of the motor mount bracket and where the CPS wires pop out from behind the PS pump thats the plate i was talkin about. The plate also has that rubber plug for the Mitsu tool
    Ok, now I understand which plate you're talking about, I was just out there messing with it but couldn't figure out how it came out.

The motor mount bracket that's attached to the block has to be removed for this plate to come off? It looks like there's two bolts under the mount bracket, I assume that's it?

i think there are 3 bolts but not sure

Build Thread

Ok thanks, I'll have a look at it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
    Ok thanks, I'll have a look at it tonight.

Do a timing belt & balance shaft belt change while you are in there. Best thing to do since you have to take just about everything apart to get to the crankshaft sensor. Also If im not mistaken to put it all back together correctly with out wires getting damaged later on, you have to pull the timing belt.

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude just remove the bracket and put it on the right way. If I'm not mistaken the wires length is cut to fit exactly how it sits.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

i agree dont cut it it will be short . i replaced it before all i did was take the power steering bracket off and the rest youll find out.