The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Who has tinted their tails? And what method did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

Who has tinted their tails? And what method did you use?

I'm curious as to who all has tinted their tail lights and what method they used to do so. If possible, please provide a picture of the finished product and list a link to the instructions you used if applicable.

Thanks.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=26418

mine is done with nightshades from vht. pics are here somewhere if i find em ill post.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

I used VHT nightshades. Easy to use. I put 3 coats on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by PnoyGalant View Post
    I used VHT nightshades. Easy to use. I put 3 coats on mine.
    Yours look nice. Did you tint the portion for the reverse light as well? Looks like you did. And when you say you put on 3 coats, you mean 3 light coats? Or... ? It seems the amount of coats and how much of a coat people used vary. I would assume several light misting coats would be best.

I used niteshades... Several misting coats is the best way IMO.

-Andrew

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar

With the lights on two light coats of vht

Lights off

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Looks good Corey. Could go darker, but i dunno your laws and shit. By the way, i just realized i had 2 different sets of tails, but you get the idea
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by dGALANTc View Post
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=26418

mine is done with nightshades from vht. pics are here somewhere if i find em ill post.
    x2^^ check out my sig below

-RON

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Yours look nice. Did you tint the portion for the reverse light as well? Looks like you did. And when you say you put on 3 coats, you mean 3 light coats? Or... ? It seems the amount of coats and how much of a coat people used vary. I would assume several light misting coats would be best.
    yep I tinted the reverse light as well but not as much. Cover the reverse light area with tape. Then put your first and second "light misting coats". take off the tape on the reverse light, then put your last coat of vht. Its up to you how dark you wanna go but only put 1 very light coat on the reverse light. It'll get darker than it looks when It dries. So be careful not to over spray it. Use clear coat to make it shiny. Good Luck. Put some pics when you get it done=)

How many of you did "wet sanding" to prep the tail lights before you tinted them? And is it really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    How many of you did "wet sanding" to prep the tail lights before you tinted them? And is it really necessary?
    I did not do any wet sanding on mine.

Here's something to ask about, I have a friend with a 03 cobra that s blacked out, I may have a picture of the car in a hard drive somewhere. But anyway, he got his tails tinted at a collision center, they were dipped in black plastic and set to dry. He said this method is makes for a very clean look. And durable, he also fooled a CHP officer into thinking they were stock tails. He said told him that his particular cobra was one of few that were made that way, the officer of course didn't believe him, then my friend told the cop to take a key to a hidden part of the finish, that if it chips off its fake. The officer let him go, but his 5% side windows got ticketed.

Maybe something to ask about.

theres a cheaper and easier way to do this...just remove the taillight and stretch black panty hose over it...you would need to replace em every once in a while but its cheap and if a cop tell u something you can just rip em off....seen it done alot and u cant tell unless you physically touch the taillight

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    theres a cheaper and easier way to do this...just remove the taillight and stretch black panty hose over it...you would need to replace em every once in a while but its cheap and if a cop tell u something you can just rip em off....seen it done alot and u cant tell unless you physically touch the taillight
    Better off doing it right and NiteShading them.

Or there's another way to do it by getting a body shop to spray them with some clear coat that's had a little bit of black added to it
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post

Or there's another way to do it by getting a body shop to spray them with some clear coat that's had a little bit of black added to it
    only problem is you can just peel the paint off if you keep getting ticketed for doing it,,because it is 100% illegal to shade taillights or headlights any shade

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    only problem is you can just peel the paint off if you keep getting ticketed for doing it,,because it is 100% illegal to shade taillights or headlights any shade
    Unless they are tinted to where you can hardly see the brake lights at day/night time, the cops really don't care. The clear does NOT come off easy, i promise you that.
    -Andrew

Im tinting my tail lights tomorrow, using VHT night shades.Maybe 3 coats not to dark but a little darker than Corey's.
    Last edited by tony2face; 03-25-2011 at 12:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post

Thats what i recomend aswell. My foglights are painted with clearcoating with some black innit. Looks better and its stay shiny longer

ok so i went and bougth some lens tint pain from autozone the rustolium brand. looking good

The issue with the VHT and other rattle can tint, it always fades. Even if cleared. I've had quite a few different sets of tails on different cars...the best method hands down is a mixture of clearcoat paint and gloss black paint. I'm talking using about automotive grade paint, using an HVLP gun, then bake dry in a paint booth. The result is a shine like no other:

The old LED tails on my Pontiac:

Keep in mind, I'd use some sort of bright LED bulbs, or on a set with an LED conversion. LEDs have no issue shining through tint, unlike incandescent bulbs, even in bright sunlight.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast