The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Junkyard Run...1g TB mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 51
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Junkyard Run...1g TB mod

Alright, I went to my local junkyard today to see what all they had(mainly looking for 1g tb) and found a 1g Laser RS with a 4g63. It is missing a valve cover and I spun both cam shafts, but only one of them spun freely. It has a hood so rust was minimal. Also it had a Cyclone Intake manifold. I thought Cyclone was JDM? So you guys think the head would be in re-buildable condition? I am going to get new cams and cam gears anyway, you guys want some pics or anything? I am going back tomorrow to pick up the throttlebody off of it.

I also found an older 4-door Mirage that resembles a 6g a lot, just smaller. it had a 4g61 in it i believe. pretty good body condition, no rust. Interior was in rather good condition too. Im thinking a new 4g63 transplant, sounds like a good project
    7g for life!

what are some good ways to tell if the head is in descent shape? im giong back tomorrow and would like to buy it if it will work...
    7g for life!

ok, got my tb...its rather dirty, what should i use to clean it? im going back next week for the intake mani and MAYBE the head. i forgot my camera so no pics hah o well...
    7g for life!

alright all the screws to that hold on the IAC are all STUCK i cant get any one of them out, i keep striping them! JiP were yoours stick on like mine? im going to spray some liquid wrench on them now before i totally strip them brb

(nobody reading this post?)
    7g for life!

ok this is pissing me off, all the screws are like stipped now...i have no patience

i sprayed some liquid wrench all over then filed down a flat head bit so it would fit on the phillips screw. then i applied pressure and turned, the screw didnt turn, but the metal inside it did so they are all stripped...im about to take a drill bit to the head of the screw and pop em off
    7g for life!

ok, i got em all out haha...kinda took a drill bit to em and popped off the heads now i need new screws...
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Talking to yourself is a sign of insanity

:laughing:
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

hey you stay out of this! i was having a perfectly good conversation...im about to jb weld in a few holes on my IAC brb AGAIN

:lauging: this is fun!
    7g for life!

heres a pic with some questions...what do those 2 hoses on the top of the 4g64 tb for anyway? theres only 2 holes on the bottum, one if antifreeze and not sure what the other is for...

heres a pic of the stock tb still installed, you can see the 2 hoses connected on top of the tb...i dont know what they are used for :?
    here are some misc pics of the 1g and stock tb comparisons...1g tb is quite a bit larger @ 60mm...
    7g for life!

seth u are funny as hell,, i was reading this post all the time,, but i have no idea wtf you talking about.......

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

Experienced TGC Member
    I have no hoses or even ability to connect hoses on my 4g64 tb like the one in your last pic. If you do, and you need to connect them they are there on the 1g tb. I have 4 pipes to connect hoses, if you have only 2 just use a T connector and add the third in, most likely emmisions crap that you dont need anyway.

And you already IM'd me and told me you reread my site and I'm assuming you got it all under control now

BTW: The bolts on the IAC are like a bitch, I use big pliers and grabbed the heads to crack them loose. One bolt I coulnt get to and I just dremmeled the head of, who cares, bolts can be replaced.

Good luck!
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

i figured out those hoses i think hah on top of my stock tb there are 3 holes(only 2 hose inlets) that have P, E, and A over the top...2 hoses go in the E and the A...on the 1g tb there is P, E, and A, but 3 hose inlets so E goes to E and A goes to A and P is plugged hopefully
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    If theres no metal pipe to slip a hose on..its plugged. If by some chance its not..thats why they invented RTV lol
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

yah, on the stock tb there is not metal pipe on the p so it is closed, but on the 1g there is a metal pipe so im going to plug it
    7g for life!

ok the 1g tb is on and all the hoses are connected except for those top 2, i hafta go to autozone and find some longer ones cause the hose inlets are on the oppossite side as the stock tb. you guys really thing these hoses are needed? the hoses are under the A and E...Air and Emissions maybe? i have no clue haha...
    this is the top of a 1g turbo tb(same thin, cept i dont have that diagonal hose)
    7g for life!

uh oh :oops: connected everything, started her up and she idled about 2.5-3k RPM, tightned the BISS all the way down and got it down to 2k...i shut her off to and took off the intake tube to see if the butterfly valve was straight up and down at 0 throttle and i see some antifreeze sitting in the tb!!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!! why is there anti freeze in my tb? this blows, i hafta go back to school today and dont want to drive my car untill i know its good JiP where are you!
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    I should just save our AIM convo;s and post them up here lol

A) He obviosuly didnt seal the center chanel too well, he used JBweld will be good for the insides...but you have to use gasketsealer over the top to make sure to seal any little hole. Unless you can totaly machine the jbweld to perfectly match the surface lol

Seth ran the car without the hoses connected cause they wouldnt reach, but he never bothered to cap the holes on the intake where the hose would go, so the intake is sucking in all the air it wants through the hose connectors. If you run the car and put ur finger over the holes, you should hear the idle drop down. You will still idle around 900rpm on somedays, but I havnt had any problems at all with anything.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

correct! fixing everything now...went to autozone, got some longer hose and gasket sealer all for about $3
    7g for life!

fixed it all, started it and gave it a few revs, turned it off and no leak...still had a 2k rpm so i slid the throttle cable slider down a bit cause i had it tightened from the old tb...

now if the car is off and i pull the throttle cable should antifreeze leak out?

cause none leaked out while the car was on...just when i checked the valve while it was off...
    7g for life!

anybody, kain, craig? i just went out and moved the butterfly valve to see if antifreeze was leaking on the otherside and some steam came out :?

didnt not smell or anything...was i just not supposed to pull on the tb cable while the car was off? if thats the deal i will be happy, if not then back on goes the stock tb...
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast