The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Junkyard Run...1g TB mod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 51
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    how bout doing the coolant bypass mod? its warm here so no need for antifreeze in the tb? just a though...somebody answer my damn post im dying here plus talking to myself isnt very comforting anymore
    7g for life!

Kain
    Uhh... I got distracted when you said 4g61....mmm...if it's complete strip everything you can off of it. Those parts are like GOLD to the people who have that engine. If you pulled that TB off a turbo car with a Cyclone intake, someone had been messing with it. That's a N/T TB. And the Cyclone (to my knowledge) was a JDM only part. Your stock TB looks diffrent from mine. My stock TB has 3 vaccum taps, not two. I'm still waiting on my proper 1g TB to arrive (that's what I get buying cheap I guess) The closed throttle sensor can be removed if it bothers you, or just leave it, it dosen't really matter. As for the antifreze in the lines...well, if worse comes to worse, you can just re-route the lines so there's no antifreze in there, and cap off the lines. Actually, you might wanna do that and see if it stops or if your "steam" is coming from somewhere else.

i want to re-route them, you only need it in the winter right? i cant find a tutorial on how to do it anywhere! haha so where should it be re-routed to?

the tb seemed to be stock, looked just like JiPs, at least all the channels in the tb and iac...

and the steam i think was just from the antifreeze getting hot? maybe, maybe not, im going to go back out start it up and see if anything leaked. but re-routing it would make me much much more happy, i dont think my head would like antifreeze all mixed in it...

thanks for replying, and im going to snatch that Cyclone intake next weekend...
    7g for life!

Kain
    It's easy. Just take off the two cooling hoses, and either connect them together, or replace them with a single hose. Than cap off the inlet and outlet on the TB. I've actually never seen any reason for running coolant through the TB unless you live in Alaska or something. I live in GA, so I could definitely live without it. The diffrences in TBs might be that mine are both from '94s which, as I'm learning, is diffrent from the '95-'98s in a few inconsequential ways. And if you can, check if that Mirage is really a 4g61t (it'll look just like a 4g63 but with a silver vavle cover) if it is, I know some people who'd really like some of those parts if you're willing to work with them. (especially that nice, rare ecu. Assuming it's not dead) and, yeah that steam you saw is probably antifreze. But I'm wondering if it's still leaking or if some residue is still burning off.

so...which hoses do i connect? there are 2 hoses coming from the iac and they both go to a different place. one goes kinda up by the head and the other is real short and only goes a few inches...nm i think i get it, just BYPASS the tb haha brain fart ahhhh im ok now, seriously

im pretty sure its just a regular 4g61, i didnt look for a turbo on the mirage since i just figured it was NA...ill look though. same with the laser witht he cyclone intake mani, i looked to see if it was but i couldnt really tell cause it was stacked on top of another car and hard to see into the bay. on the mirage it has the same valve cover as the 4g63 except it is 1600 where the 4g63 is 2000? i looked at the engine code on the firewall and it said 4g61 too
    7g for life!

can i just connect the tb inlet and outlet together? i dont have any caps :oops: i always forget something or is there an easy way to cap em cause i have some extra hose :?
    7g for life!

runs good to me, bypassed the coolant and connected the inlet and outlet together with some hose, i hafta go to autozone tomorrow and get some plugs...

hope she will run strong
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    ahahah I come home and this is what is on my away msg:

seth98es: hey man

Auto response from Im JiP: went to kmart with a ruskie

seth98es: no antifreeze leak this time
    seth98es: but still 2k rpm idel
    seth98es: should i reset the ECU?
    seth98es: i think i am going to sheesh im going to blow something up LOL
    seth98es: whats the part # on teh tps
    seth98es: ummm when the car is off

seth98es: if i pull on the tb cable and open the butterfly valve to WOT should antifreeze come out?
    seth98es: cause it did not leak, untill i did that lol
    seth98es: shoot me now
    seth98es: come back come back lol
    seth98es: i havent started it since
    seth98es: ok, im goign back outy
    seth98es: going to clean it up
    seth98es: start it
    seth98es: and if it leaks
    seth98es: im going to push my galant off a cliff
    seth98es: bah
    seth98es: opened the butterfly valve w/o pulling on the cable and steam(i think) came out
    seth98es: then i heard a lil sizze sound
    seth98es: looks like its time to throw the 1g tb away and bolt back on the stock
    seth98es: :-(

seth98es: duuuuuude
    seth98es: what about the coolant bypass mod?

seth98es: does that cut off antifreeze to the tb?
    seth98es: JiP JiP JiP JiP where can i re-route the antifreeze too?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

:lauging:

had to tell you cause i woulda forgot everything by the time you got back

ahhhh i think its all better now though...
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok 2 things here, the steam could be the coolant you were previously leaking burning off. Or it could mean you still have a leak.

Coolant by pass will not work for us ny folk with our 15 degree winters, but if you live in constant warmth above 40 you shouldnt have a problem with it. Just pull the 2 coolant lines off the tb, pick one of the lines and pull it off the water pipe, the other line plug it into the water pipe. Now the water will just flow into itself. Dont even really have to cap the TB hoses you can just leave it.

As for 2k rev, you have an air leak somewhere, I'm assuming you have the hoses connected at the top this time? The first time I did this mod a year ago I had the same problem and gave up. But when I redid It I examined the TB closesly. There are a few small little holes that are used to bypass air for the hoses at the top etc...just make sure you plug all the holes your not using from hoses at the top. There are 2 little tiny hols inside near where the butterfly opens on the tb I had. Take the BISS screw it all the way down...and completely fill both holes on the inside part, your not gona use the biss anyway, but even with it screwd down it lets tiny bit of air pass by.

Im disapointed your having so much trouble, I did my swap literally in 20 minutes, installed and drove. Never a problem since it was installed.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

interesting, the coolant bypass obviously fixed the leak and i no longer have a 2k idle, i moved the slider bar back to the middle where it was stock(throttle cable is still tense) and i idle in neutral pretty normal.

did you notice a gain in performance? im not sure if i did or not...i need a gtech pro or something to measure with...
    7g for life!

i can get a 1g throttle body pretty easy and considering im turboing this 4g64 it sounds like it will be worth while...Jip i cant get your link to work..i need to see some good pics of what i need to do to make it fit the 7g
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g64terror
    i can get a 1g throttle body pretty easy and considering im turboing this 4g64 it sounds like it will be worth while...Jip i cant get your link to work..i need to see some good pics of what i need to do to make it fit the 7g
    Ye brinkster sometime does maintence crap or too many people logging in and site doesnt show..just keep trying it.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

got the link working...DAMn did u use a lot of silicone...that doesnt sound like it would last very long...arent u worried about it going into the motor? whats up with the coffee can?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    got the link working...DAMn did u use a lot of silicone...that doesnt sound like it would last very long...arent u worried about it going into the motor? whats up with the coffee can?
    nah jip dont worry till things explode, that stuff is pretty damn durable anyway.

And its a sauce can...I used a turbo TB so it didnt have a lip to conect the intake hose to, I had a 1g elbow, wich is way small, so I was like ok sauce can I had in the garbage was 60mm..and I just fabbed a lip lol. But the other day had absolutely nothing to do, so I took the 1g elbow and cut it close to the base where its wide, and bolts that onto the TB, and the air hose conects to that now. Opening is about 5mm smaler in fron then the base, but the buttmeter hasnt lost any feeling in response so I am satisfied.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the 1g elbow is too small??? its not 60mm like the tb? couldnt u have just bought a bigger elbow for a 1g?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    the 1g elbow is too small??? its not 60mm like the tb? couldnt u have just bought a bigger elbow for a 1g?
    The 1g tb starts at about 60mm and the tip goes down to like 1" Its made for a turbo. The 2g elbow is much larger, but I dont have a 2g elbow and I try to do as much as possible with the leastamount of money being spent. My 1g TB came with the 1g elbow, all for $20 bucks shipped, I work with what I have around me.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

i can get a 1g tb for free!!!!so the 2 g elbow is better?? i need to look into finding one sure it bolts up?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

on the subject of the coolant...it only gets really cold aorund tennessee for a month or two in winter...what would the symtoms be if i bypassed the coolant passages?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    Major idle problems. See the coolant heats a plug in the IAC, when it heats or cools it allows more or less air to flow. It basically is a temperature controlled system so that you maintain the same idle and start up conditions through all weather.

I have no leaks at all with the way I did my swap using rtv. This is the second time I've done this and so far none of them have ever leaked.

Also, all the TB bolt right up. You have to make sure that the TB you get doesnt have the IAC casted so that its part o the TB and you cant remove it, Kain knows which years/model that TB came on. If you can get the NA version get it, then you dont need an eblow. If your geting a turbo version like mine, get a 2g elbow its much larger.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast