The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galantman03's 8G Build

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 1392
    i know the 8gb here in my area his doesnt have the holes. i belive he is a 02

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    No you shouldnt have to re-base coat it. Just remember how thin the base coat is, you shouldnt be doing much sanding. A foam sanding block is fine, any type of block will do
    Sweet, I'm just going to do enough sanding to knock the nibbs down.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Nice work! You realize that the USDM rear bumpers came with the holes in the bumper also like the JDM's? Its the replacement bumpers that didnt come with the holes...
    Thanks! I didn't realize that, all the 03's that I looked at around here all have the same bumper, infact a buddy of mine just bought a 2000 g and his has holes too, I was like, WTF? never noticed it before, and now I notice it on all the rear ass pics lol
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    I don't know what years but I think some of the USDM rear bumpers didn't come with the holes? dunno. Anyway, mine has the holes and I think they're cool :)
    lol mine doesn't have holes :( its looks better!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    i know the 8gb here in my area his doesnt have the holes. i belive he is a 02
    That would makes sense, facelift up front, ass lift in the rear lol

So I just got done painting these... and I only got 1 coat on everything because I ran out of base... I'm a little pissed cuz I know its hard to match, but whatever...

And my custom one-off license plate garnish..

Once bolted on it will sit nice, flush, and tight
    Last edited by Galantman03; 04-17-2011 at 07:01 PM

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    wow that looks great. Did you use the OEM license plate holder for the letters?

Thanks man. Nope... I um.. hmm. turns out I had 2 complete sets of GTZ cladding... and yep I did the unthinkable... I cut the right rear one up and use that lettering, and just fiberglassed it and bondo'd it in

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Thats looks really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Clearing it up...

The cloud in the garage haha...
    Last edited by Galantman03; 09-24-2011 at 09:13 AM

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    every time I see a dolphin bumper it makes me wish I never sold mine :(

Looks good man!

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    every time I see a dolphin bumper it makes me wish I never sold mine :(

Looks good man!
    Idk, maybe you should have kept it! The bumper looks good in certain angles, and in other angles i'm like... um mhmm

Last edited by Galantman03; 09-24-2011 at 09:13 AM Reason: brain fart :)

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Dude this is some awesome paint work, good job. Im also re-painting my grill and front bumper.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

^its not bad for a first timer eh? lol I was kinda nervous on spraying clear cuz of runs... but I only had one case... bummer part? Its on the grill.... oh well I'll take one run over a lot..
    So I'm been reading up on sanding, and Idk if I want to do it on all of the paint... I might just do it on the body parts that really need it, the back bumper has some orange peel, as does the dolphin bumper, grill has a run... but the skirts, underspoilers, new style bumper and plate cover doesn't. So I need some inputs... should I just wet sand all of it? 1500 to 2000 and then polish it?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Yeah I total understand bro...when it comes down to clear-coat, you never know whats going to happen since it the last step. Well I do say for a first time...nicely done. Its all up to you on how perfect you want the paint job to be. Is it completely noticeable? Wet sanding and polishing...does it really need it? To me im not sure since your dealing with plastic parts now. Lets see what other people say bc this will also be my first time painting.lol

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Thank you. Its not too bad... its not as smooth as oem paint, but pretty dang close. The reason I kinda want to leave the front bumper alone is because orange peel is a lot stronger than sanded clear against rock chips. The side skirts and rear underspoilers are going to get covered in 3m rock chip vinyl. I'm pretty sure dealing with the paint is the same whether it be metal or plastic or fiberglass, only difference is metal is not as flexable as the plastic, which I noticed when I was rubbing everything down with wax and grease remover. Pretty sure I'm going to have to sand everything, I just don't want to re-clear it, its more of a pain setting everything up for a second time lol. Good luck on painting yours, its not that hard... just make sure everything is smooth with the primer.. oh and no pinholes either, I really hate those now

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Damn Jared!!!!!! Looking good for sure.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Looks good!
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Thank you. Its not too bad... its not as smooth as oem paint, but pretty dang close. The reason I kinda want to leave the front bumper alone is because orange peel is a lot stronger than sanded clear against rock chips. The side skirts and rear underspoilers are going to get covered in 3m rock chip vinyl. I'm pretty sure dealing with the paint is the same whether it be metal or plastic or fiberglass, only difference is metal is not as flexable as the plastic, which I noticed when I was rubbing everything down with wax and grease remover. Pretty sure I'm going to have to sand everything, I just don't want to re-clear it, its more of a pain setting everything up for a second time lol. Good luck on painting yours, its not that hard... just make sure everything is smooth with the primer.. oh and no pinholes either, I really hate those now
    How many coats of clear did you apply? Typically you should apply between 2 and 4 coats of clear. If you only applied 2 coats, I would very lightly wetsand in steps with 1500 and 2000. If you have 3 or more coats of clear ,I would start at 1000-1200-1500-2000. When your done with the wetsanding its time for a LIGHT polish. Make sure its a compound that has a fine cut. You could save the polishing for later and do the whole car in one shot, and do a full proper detail. The clear coat you used, is it designed to by air dried or is it supposed to be baked, but you just let it air dry for a while? If its not designed to air dry, dont do anything to the clear for a few weeks as it wont "fully" cure for about 15-20 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

nice build loving it!!!!
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    awww mannn i want one of those front bumper galant garnish's

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    Damn Jared!!!!!! Looking good for sure.
    Thanks Corey lol

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    Looks good!
    Thanks Galante, oh and thanks for answering my question

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    How many coats of clear did you apply? Typically you should apply between 2 and 4 coats of clear. If you only applied 2 coats, I would very lightly wetsand in steps with 1500 and 2000. If you have 3 or more coats of clear ,I would start at 1000-1200-1500-2000. When your done with the wetsanding its time for a LIGHT polish. Make sure its a compound that has a fine cut. You could save the polishing for later and do the whole car in one shot, and do a full proper detail. The clear coat you used, is it designed to by air dried or is it supposed to be baked, but you just let it air dry for a while? If its not designed to air dry, dont do anything to the clear for a few weeks as it wont "fully" cure for about 15-20 days.
    Its high speed clear, takes about 16 hrs to fully cure, so right now its completely hardened, but it did dip into the 30's last night, so I'll probably drag everything out into the sun today just to make sure. I put 3 coats of clear on. So you're saying anything thats called fine cut is what I want?
    Quote Originally Posted by dGALANTc View Post
    nice build loving it!!!!
    Thanks man, glad you got your eninge running last night
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    awww mannn i want one of those front bumper galant garnish's
    If there is enough interest, Maybe Cali can snag mine, and make a mold out of it? Its not perfect, but is looks good enough for me.

So if you get a carbon fiber hood, it comes with gel coat, but do you have to clear it to keep it from fading? just curious thats all

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    If you fart on the parts it will clear for sure!!!!! lol :p

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast