The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is my timing belt hydraulic tensioner faulty?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 25 of 25
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    those are the only pages on the rocker arms. it is really weird. it does say to clean the lashers in clean diesel fuel and all that stuff but nothing on the order. i figure since its on a rod it may not but IDK
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Can't say why one manual would list a sequence for removing the rocker arms and another does not but I recall on my mercedes 190sl it was important not to release one set of the camshaft fastners completely while others were still torqued down. I recall it had to do with the risk of bending something out of spec or damaging the bearing it floated on. Sort like when torquing down a cylinder head , you want to do it gradually and evenly across all head bolts.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

When you press the hydraulic tensioner in you need to put it in a vise or C clamp and press it slowly or you can damage the seal and it will start to leak.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    eksz, it does say what parts have to be removed at what point and it seems like a specific order of process but not of unbolting the rockers as they sit on a shaft and arent individual. the Haynes manual doesnt work orderwise as the 8g head is different and we have more bolts. if the tech book doesnt list a certain order and i looked through my 94 book and 96 and searcked for like an hr and thats all there was.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I finally got the whole thing done.
    Maintenance done on the valve train: I removed the rocker bolts 1/4 of a turn at a time, working my way from the outside to the inside. I got the lifters out, soaked them in PB blaster all night, then soaked them in oil again and reinstalled them. No more lifter tick!!!

Maintenance done on the timing system: I compressed the tensioner slowly using a 6" C-clamp. When the tensioner was depressed all the way, I put a cotter pin through the holes to keep it there. Then I reinstalled it, put the belt on, and removed the pin.
    I also inspected all bearings, and I found that the idler pulley bearing (not the tensioner pulley, the other one) was completely shot! I replaced it. The old timing belt looked great - only had ~20k on it and it was only 2 years old so I didn't replace it.
    Had I not inspected the timing system, that pulley would've most certainly failed within a few months and the motor would've been toast.

All is well and the car's back and running again
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-07-2011 at 01:43 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12