The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stereo / Speaker wiring help... simple?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Stereo / Speaker wiring help... simple?

Ok, let me give you some quick background so that we are on the same page. I don't know if it will matter but we will see.

It's a 2005 G, and it HAD the Infinity system in it. Last year I had the Alpine CDA-117 head unit installed. In order to do so, from what I understood the factory amp had to be bypassed and all new wiring to the speakers had to be run because the 6 disc changer and all that from Infinity ran a special kind of data cable type of wiring. Anyways, they ran all new speaker wire to the speakers and installed the Alpine.

My question is this:

I'm going to install Boston SC95 6x9's and Boston SC65 6 1/2's in the front doors. Along with the Alpine KTP-445 power pack which is pretty much plug and play.

The way they hooked the speakers up is the 6x9's are working, as well as the front door speakers and the tweeters up in the dash. From my research, I ASSUME they ran the front speakers "parallel" to get them to both work. Would this be true? Is that the only way they could have done it? If so, how does that work? Did they splice into the wire leading into the head unit for the front speakers and attach the 2 wires (1 from the tweeter and 1 from the woofer)... or what do you think?

I want to try and install the speakers myself and save some money, plus learn a little bit. But since it's too cold with all the ice and stuff from the storm, I'm just trying to plan ahead so I can make as quick of work of this as possible.

What are all the ways they could have wired the front speakers? And how would I go about wiring these new coaxial ones correctly?

Appreciate the info.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    he shouldn't of had to bypass the amp

2 different places I went to said they had to because the Infinity system in my particular model required it for an aftermarket head unit. Even Crutchfield on top of the 2 places I went said you have to.

But either way.... I'm not worried about that because they didn't charge me to do all that. I'm just wondering about the current wiring. It'd be one thing if the front speakers were coaxial and I could just swap one plug but I'm thinking it may be parallel or something because the tweeters are up on the dash.

well in parallel, if they are all 4ohm speakers. That would put a 2 ohm load on ur alpine headunit which would eventually smoke it. So unless u hook ur door speakers an 6x9s to the power pack an the tweeters to ur head unit, u will prolly burn that power pack up. Because its probably made same as headunit. 4 ohm minumun load. And a tweeter on a headunit + amplified speaker = Not much sound from tweeter.
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

no no no no... i don't plan on using the tweeters in the dash at all...

once i put the coaxials in the front doors and in the rear those will be the only ones running

If your not planning on using the tweeters then I can't see what the problem is? Surely that males it a straightforward speaker swap... Also I can't understand why they would have to bypass the amp and run new wiring, unless your running something a bit different like DVD/tv headunits everything should be pretty much plug and play.

Are they the stock infinity tweeters that are o the dash?
    If so they did parallel them, in time either your deck's channels will go out or the tweeters themselves will go out. Best thing to have done for fronts is to get a set Boston components, and put the tweeter it came with in the stock location. Along with the powerpack it would make for some decent mids and highs, BTW I TOO AM ROCKIN THAT HEADUNIT IN THE G!! (Love the USB and iPod connectivity) With a 5ch amp kenwood interior and a 12" kicker CVR

Quote Originally Posted by Studly View Post
    If your not planning on using the tweeters then I can't see what the problem is? Surely that males it a straightforward speaker swap... Also I can't understand why they would have to bypass the amp and run new wiring, unless your running something a bit different like DVD/tv headunits everything should be pretty much plug and play.
    Because Mitsubishi, they used the 6 disc cd player Infinity package with a special built in amp for the 04-05 models that ran a kind of data wire to the speakers, not normal speaker wire. Either way you have to bypass the factory amp, which was expected, but the wiring was not.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Because Mitsubishi, they used the 6 disc cd player Infinity package with a special built in amp for the 04-05 models that ran a kind of data wire to the speakers, not normal speaker wire. Either way you have to bypass the factory amp, which was expected, but the wiring was not.
    It sounds just like ford's Mach audio system. they make special plug kits to keep the everything connected. The speaker amps are ran off the headunits RCA's.

Yep, it's a pain. I believe they stopped doing that with the rockford fosgate systems in the G's. But from what I heard the RF's don't sound as nice. I'm just glad the shop that was installing the head unit didn't charge me extra to run all the new wires.

i Mean tho. if they hadnt bypassed the amps. The amps could run all ur other new speakers with out haven sound problems. but its prolly too late now.