The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8th gen Galant, just getting started

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Tihoff88

8th gen Galant, just getting started

Hey i recently picked up a 2000 galant ls with the 3.0L V6, and i was wondering where to go first performance wise. Ive got a cold air kit and have been looking at headers, but i figured id get some input form guys who know the car better what upgrades would enhance the performance best.

Depends on what you're looking to do man. You can go with after market intake/header/exhausts. You can also swap out the intake manifold and TB. If you're looking for big gains you can also look into FI and a 5-speed swap.

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

Tihoff88
    well forced induction is a bit out of my price range lol, i already have the after maket intake, and not to sound like a noob, what does TB stand for? Also as for the manifold, what would we be talking price and gain form it?

no worries dude, TB is the throttle body. With an intake, headers, and exhaust you could see maybe up to 10hp with the diamante manifold and TB. For pricing it can vary I got my manifold for $60 and the TB can go for about the same or a little more, you just have to wait for a good deal to pop up.

This should help you out.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...+manifold+swap
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...onversion.html
    Last edited by Stepsascend; 02-04-2011 at 02:57 AM

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

Yo grats on your new Galant.

Nonetheless as he stated above the real gains will only come after 5-speed, and considering that with the combined price of everything you want after market headers, exhaust etc. It's all up to you whether you really do need the sound before the actual power. If ye know what I mean.

You will notice gains in the 5 speed swap. Can't remember if the 2000s have an ECU issue, but check out GOSSEY2099's tutorial on the manual transmission swap if you're interested. Depending on the price of the tranny & misc parts, maybe cost around $1500-$3000.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Not to entirely change the subject her but, I had a 3G V6 auto and it topped out at 150, (actually drove it that fast). The 8G 2.4 auto, tops at 120, then governor kicks in, would an 8G V6 auto top at 120 or go up to 150? Also if it was swapped for 5spd? wold it push higher than the 120 the speedo marks? I'm just pondering that right now.

Tihoff88
    wow thanks a ton guys,
    @stepsascend, i took a look at the forums you posted, and was wondering how diffcult the manifold and TB swaps are, im new to the tuner community and have been trying to tackle things i can do in my apartment parking lot. also it mentioned that i would have to have parts fabricated?

@Davidline and run1206, i for sure want to do a 5 speed swap some time in my future, im just not sure where to start. Ive tried looking up a tutorial on here before and didnt come across one. Did you just grab one from an eclipse or diamante? and im sure id have to find a garage before tackling this project.

@oakrdrs ive gotten my 8g v6 up to 117 no problem before i ran out of road, and that's with 4 people in the car and the windows down, i know that doesnt answer your question but ive tried to look up if theirs a governor on the 8g v6 and havnt found any information on it, if their is though any one know how to remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tihoff88 View Post

@oakrdrs ive gotten my 8g v6 up to 117 no problem before i ran out of road, and that's with 4 people in the car and the windows down, i know that doesnt answer your question but ive tried to look up if theirs a governor on the 8g v6 and havnt found any information on it, if their is though any one know how to remove it?

Does 3G V6 and 8G V6 have the same auto tranny?

@Davidline and run1206, i for sure want to do a 5 speed swap some time in my future, im just not sure where to start. Ive tried looking up a tutorial on here before and didnt come across one. Did you just grab one from an eclipse or diamante? and im sure id have to find a garage before tackling this project.
    it's in the "Knowledge Base section for the 8Gs:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=16557

An eclipse transmission from years 2000-2005 works, i'm using a 2002 GS transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Not to entirely change the subject her but, I had a 3G V6 auto and it topped out at 150, (actually drove it that fast). The 8G 2.4 auto, tops at 120, then governor kicks in, would an 8G V6 auto top at 120 or go up to 150? Also if it was swapped for 5spd? wold it push higher than the 120 the speedo marks? I'm just pondering that right now.
    I've hit over 120 with the governor off, 150 i doubt unless you've done work to the motor directly. I'm sure the car could go past 120 on a 5 speed, just have to turn the governor off.
    Last edited by run1206; 02-07-2011 at 01:06 AM

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

The auto trans from the 2.4 let me hit just around 125ish

Tihoff88
    hey so I've been looking around online for exhaust and can't find any specific to the 3.0 L engine, and i have two questions,

A. Will headers made for the 2000 eclipse gt fit my engine without any major modification?

B. Will a cat back exhaust made for the 2.4L galant fit the same for a 3.0L or do i have to find a cat back exhaust made specifically for the 3.0L

hey so I've been looking around online for exhaust and can't find any specific to the 3.0 L engine, and i have two questions,

A. Will headers made for the 2000 eclipse gt fit my engine without any major modification?

B. Will a cat back exhaust made for the 2.4L galant fit the same for a 3.0L or do i have to find a cat back exhaust made specifically for the 3.0L
    A: Headers will fit from the GT. It's the same v6 engine as the 8G.

B: I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain you need to find one that is made for a v6. Eclipse exhausts will not fit a Galant as the Eclipse is shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by brad995 View Post
    B: I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain you need to find one that is made for a v6. Eclipse exhausts will not fit a Galant as the Eclipse is shorter.
    The ends of the 2.4 catbacks where it bolts to the hi-flow cat needs to be cut and then welded for us v6'ers. Other than that, it's the same configuration.

Tihoff88
    do you guys know where i can find cat backs for the v6? ive looked just about everywhere and i cant really find any, i really dont want one custom made because thats costly id like to get a prefab one i can put on my self

when ur searching for parts try seaching by the motor its alot easier i believe u got 6g72 correct me if im wrong on that guys idk i got the 4cyl

If he has the V6, then it is the 6G72.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

congrats on your recent purchase. There should be plenty of info here regarding performance enhancements to your V6. Your best bet would be searching through the project section in threads with members' V6 builds.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile