The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lifter Cleaning or Replacement HELP!!!!!

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Lifter Cleaning or Replacement HELP!!!!!

I need someone to give me a step by step guide of how to take out my lifters in my car because I have a ticking sound and from most of the forms ive read that seems to be the problem so could some one help me out PLEASE!!!!!!

I'd say wait til the lifter actually fails to replace it. I've put 20k on my car with a lifter tick
    -Andrew

Is it SOHC or DOHC?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I had the very annoying tick until I was suggested putting an engine restore in it. It went away completely, I was amazed. Just added it to the oil and it was then as good as it could be.
    Click the link below, depending on what type of engine you have, you also choose the size. 4CL or V6.

http://www.amazon.com/ENGINE-RESTORE.../dp/B000AMBOE4

Anyone else backup the engine restore solution? My tick isnow a TICK. Not about to swap lifters or any valvetrain parts for that matter, also approaching oil change in about 350 miles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    order of disassembly

cleaning is in clean deisel fuel

2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Restore is an excellent product for the right area like low compression via cylinder wear and worn rings, it can buy you a lot of time. I had used it in a bad oil burning truck and it stopped visibly burning oil within 30 minutes. For a lifter tick I have had success with marvel mystery oil first.

^^^or Seaform
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

When I had my first lifter tick, I replaced all of them with new ones from the dealer, $480 the lifters(parts). But then I got the tick again around 4 months later. After that, I used the engine restore, and it went away.

I use seafoam. But it comes back very soon.

i used restore i'll back it up but its just a band aid...

Is your G a DOHC or a SOHC? If it's a DOHC, you have to remove both the timing belt and both camshafts (according to haynes), which is risky if you've never done it before and a major PITA.

If it's a SOHC, remove the valve cover, and start loosening the rocker bolts 1/8-1/4 turn at a time. Start with the outside bolts and work your way in. The loosening sequence isn't all that important, provided that you loosen each bolt a little at a time. Be very careful when lifting the assembly out because the lifters can easily fall out of the rockers into the engine. Mark each lifter and rocker so that you put them back in their original locations. ^The importance of this is debatable, but the argument for doing so is that the lifters are broken in and "set" to a certain spring and rocker, and failing to put the lifters exactly where you found them can cause them to wear faster. I've heard of people not doing this, and their engines are just fine, so take it as you will.

Soak your lifters (and rockers, if you want) in PB blaster, or diesel fuel like Galanttuner said earlier. Leave them there overnight. After that, soak them in a bucket of 5w-30 motor oil to re-coat them.

Reinstall the rocker assemblies opposite of the removal process. This will be very tricky because you'll find that the hydraulic lifters will keep falling out of the rockers as you reinstall it, so you'll need some patience. It might not be necessary, but I poured about half a bottle of oil over the camshaft and rocker assemblies when everything was reinstalled, just to be safe. Good luck!
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-07-2011 at 01:45 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear