The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alpine Power Pack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    Stavy6

Alpine Power Pack

Has anyone installed this? I feel as if it would be a good boost to my speakers on all 4 channels. I just wanna make sure its worth the 120 bucks..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WZavtS6...ower-Pack.html

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    I sell them here at work but haven't sold or installed one yet

Sent from my DROIDX

Experienced TGC Member
    I've been using it for a while now. I had it for about 2 years now. First year it was in my lex and noticed the difference compaired to the stock mark levinston system. Now it is in the galant paired with some 6.5 type s and 6x9 eclipses. Sounds is as sweet as it can get with no sub. Many people think my galant has a sub because of the good output it gives my interior speakers.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

They're legit. It's basically a mini-amp in theory. Smaller, compact and easy to hide in the dash and less expensive too and gives good power boost. Don't have to worry about it overheating or as many of the problems you would have with a regular amp. Just make sure you are using it with speakers that have comparable RMS. If the speakers you're using are much less RMS than 45 then you'll probably blow them. With the power pack you'd be better off getting speakers that are around 50-60.

Stavy6
    I got 6.5 fosgates and 6x9 kickers. They shoukd be fine..im pumped now i just ordered it. Its great cause instead of biying a no name amp for like 150 with 4 chann. I can get this alpine brand for cheaper with better output ratings.

Im thinking of getting the alpine imprint module to complete the system now!

Experienced TGC Member
    I only had it overheat once and that was on a 24 hour drive down to miami. I was blasting the radio the whole trip. Other than that I never had a problem with it. It fits nice in the dash under the radio bezzle. I shortened the wiring though lol.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Stavy6
    Sick idea about putting that in the bezel im def doing that..

Can this be used on any head unit or it is only for alpine?

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conjee View Post
    Yes

Sent from my DROIDX

To be more specific, it only works on 2005+ Alpines with certain wiring... which is about 95% of the Alpines. Just check their site or even crutchfield and it will tell if you if it's compatible with that particular head unit. I think only a couple of the specialized head units will it not work, like in the marine sections.

Thanks, I just bought one. I am pretty sure I am able to wire it onto my non-alpine head unit.
    Last edited by Conjee; 02-10-2011 at 08:42 PM

Thanks, I just bought one. I am pretty sure I am able to wire it onto my non-alpine head unit.
    Well, it's always possible. But you'll probably just not be able to use the plug thats on the end of the wires. Probably end up splicing wires, I would assume it would still work.

Stavy6
    Alpine ftw! there products are great and reliable!

Dunno if the OP got theirs hooked up yet but I got mine today and installed it. Took about 10 minutes start to finish. Fit nicely behind the Alpine head unit, and it's a huge improvement. Even with the stock Infinity speakers and especially with some high performance Boston Acoustics.

Note... underneath the power pack is a little switch with a rubber cover on it so you can set the gain to high or low. Mine came high so that's how I kept it.

Power Pack is awesome. Just finished splicing wires and hooked it up. I feel the beat! Now it is time to upgrade the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavy6 View Post
    Alpine ftw! there products are great and reliable!
    x2! I have alpine speakers and they crank for sure. Crystal clear sound quality.

Is the power pack like a mini 4 channel amp?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Is the power pack like a mini 4 channel amp?
    Pretty much. I mean you can get amps that put out the same power but they are usually crummy. But yeah it's a 45 RMS x 4 amp that is just in a nice small compact size and works with most Alpine head units. I love mine. Fits nicely behind the head unit. No having to run new wires. Plug and play. Took 10 minutes to install. Everything sounds better and you hear details that weren't there before.

Guess if your head unit doesnt put out enough it is worth it. But 45 x 4 RMS isnt that much power above some head units out there.

Might be good though ontop of the head unit just to make the head unit work less hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Guess if your head unit doesnt put out enough it is worth it. But 45 x 4 RMS isnt that much power above some head units out there.

Might be good though ontop of the head unit just to make the head unit work less hard.
    That's not true. What you're thinking about is the PEAK output which is usually what they put onthe face of the head unit. Usually it will say 45x4 or 50x4... that's all PEAK. That means that's the power it will give on sudden bursts during songs... that's not constant power. RMS is the constant power... head units only have about 15-18 RMS x 4. That's why people use amps to power better speakers. The only way to get 45 RMS x 4 is with an amp or this power pack. No head unit will do 45 RMS on it's own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast