The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cheap and easy horsepower!

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    SOHC Rocket 30

cheap and easy horsepower!

this is just something i wanted to share if you wanted to take off any unecessary weight and add an easy .5 - 1 HP to your galant without buying a cold air intake. it makes it sound nice too.

my friend did a simillar thing to his grand prix and it made a big difference to the sound of his engine, it is a v6 though.

take a look at your air box and intake. now you see this big goofy like box thing that is bolted on to you air box. this one of the snorkels. unscrew it and remove it and now you just see your cylindrical air-box and it has a small hole exposing your filter. next you will also notice another snorkel coming from the bottom of the air box. it looks like a long tube that has the end closed. unscew the bolt that is attatched to the mount over your radiator. next unscrew the bolt that is used to hold the air box and the snorkel together and pull it off. now you see another hole to your airbox.

now you see this takes off some unecessary weight, ands feed more air into your stock intake. you also get a nice louder sound without having to spend any money.

questions, comments, rants...?

TGC Regular
    i might try it later

Galant GK1
    I just did that to my car today. It only took me 10 mins to do. It's not really much of a weight reduction since the parts removed were just plastic anyway, but it does sound a lot nicer and i didnt wanna spend the money to get an intake right now so it does the trick. Good job on finding out about that and thanks for sharing it.

Rasko Da Gama
    Have any pic of the work done GK1?

ConceptSleeper
    removing all those intake resonators was the first thing i did when i got my car!!(actually with all of my cars, the integra, the GTP, the Galant!) its not much to look at but sounds deeper when you rev or get on the accelerator!!

Galant GK1
    i'll get u a pic as soon as i can.

Galant GK1
    i'll get u a pic as soon as i can.

ewgiii
    hhmmm.... good find...

dhk
    hrm... would it work on a '76 galant?

i dunno too much about engines and stuff (that is quickly changing) and i dont wanna break anything...

a pic would be great...

thanks anyway... i never thought of anything like that. are there any other cheap/free mods that could be done??

I did this on my ride. Took the air intake manifold thingy, plastic, off the front engine area. Next removed the bottom of the box where the air filter sits, this is the part with the clamps on it.

Got a K&N, disconnected the bottom box from the metal area around the battery, sawwed the clamp box with a hack saw, sanded, turned the ecu 180?, now it sounds like a v12.

L

I'll post pics later

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liszt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I did this on my ride. Took the air intake manifold thingy, plastic, off the front engine area. Next removed the bottom of the box where the air filter sits, this is the part with the clamps on it.

Got a K&N, disconnected the bottom box from the metal area around the battery, sawwed the clamp box with a hack saw, sanded, turned the ecu 180?, now it sounds like a v12.

L

I'll post pics later</div>

Cammon Liszt - show us some pictures - I'd really like to see your work.

dhk
    ok... the whole idea of this is to make it easier to get more air for the engine? is that right?

well... what if i was to drill holes around the air intake cylinder?? would that change anything?

i did try some things that i thought might be related to what was said above, but it didnt seem to make any difference, so i wasnt doing it right or its not worth it at all...... hrrmmm...

ConceptSleeper
    yeah that is the general idea "more air," but you want to try to create a better flow design into the throttle body, you want the air to gain velocity! and just as a side note this mod or minor 'tweak' isnt going to show big horsepower increases, it will help with throttle response and will make the intake sound deeper, but MINIMAL power gains.

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConceptSleeper)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah that is the general idea "more air," but you want to try to create a better flow design into the throttle body, you want the air to gain velocity! and just as Â*a side note this mod or minor 'tweak' isnt going to show big horsepower increases, it will help with throttle response and will make the intake sound deeper, but MINIMAL power gains.</div>

So what do you recomend?

ConceptSleeper
    an intake from a 1g eclipse non turbo(check out Injen's intake for the 1g eclipse), you know the shiny tube with the air filter at the end??(will prob need to move the battery), there is a post about this somewhere on this board

ConceptSleeper

dhk
    a'righty.

all the photos i'm seeing are much more modern engines. i only have the original straight 1600 in me 76 galant and it looks a lot less complicated than the pics!

forget the drilling....
    what if i was to saw off the air intake silencer (that funny nozzel thing on the air filter) and run a fairly large tube/pipe round the radiator to behind the grill or to under the front bumper?

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dhk)</div><div class='quotemain'>a'righty.

all the photos i'm seeing are much more modern engines. i only have the original straight 1600 in me 76 galant and it looks a lot less complicated than the pics!

forget the drilling....
    what if i was to saw off the air intake silencer (that funny nozzel thing on the air filter) and run a fairly large tube/pipe round the radiator to behind the grill or to under the front bumper?</div>

that would work even better.
    -Pedro

sorry,

knew you were talking about older cars. This worked on my 8g.

L