The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front bumper replacement

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Front bumper replacement

I'm new here, introduced myself on the newbie form a few days ago. I have a 1996 Galant S with a 5 speed transmission, that I'm trying to mod/restore. I currently have a crack from a trailer hitch in my front bumper and am looking to replace it for a different look soon. I really like the look of some Galants I've seen with a bumper cover that gives you that exposed radiator look, almost like an Evo but maybe not as exposed. Someone posted a video of JDM Galants from youtube that gave me this idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXqw6dGatPU

The look I'm talking about is the car at :21 seconds and even the one after which is even more open but it looks like a custom job and I don't have any experience with fabricating or customizing body parts. So I guess my question is: Is there a bumper that will fit my Galant without a ton of fitting and still obtain that look or are all of those custom front ends?

I'm going down to the junkyard this weekend, they recieved 7 Galants within the past month, 4 of them are 7gs and the other 3 are 8gs. They also have 3 Lancers and 4 3G Eclipses. Any hard to find parts I should keep a lookout for while I'm down there? Any parts you guys can think of that fit a 7G without a ton of hassel, let me know. I'm going to see about getting ahold of a 3G Eclipse steering wheel while I'm down there as well.

I'm open to other front end suggestions if you know of a swap that looks good on a 7G, let me know what you guys think.

hey men, ask for a 8g wing :D how much please :P

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

1. I'm in the market for a set of OEM 7g fog lights. If you car does not have them get a set for yourself. Nothing after market fits as well. Make sure to take mounting bracket, relay and interior switch.
    2. Also, the plastic trim that goes around the trans shifter on a 5 speed.
    3. Lastly if they have a pair of 7g windshield visors in excellent condition I'd be interested in them.

I parted out a 1995 Galant S model a little while back and the only interest for parts was the shifter cables, the 5-speed trans, a few misc 5-speed swap parts and the plastic trunk floor (the one with the shelf, not the wooden one).

Based upon my limited experience, the parts you might want to stock pile; parts to do a 7g trans 5-speed swap are generally worth collecting as most folks who own an automatic will have to do a swap one day because the automatics just don't hold up in the long run. Grab the starter and the motor end plate (don't know the proper name, it is mounted to the engine and between the engine and flywheel) if you grab a 5-speed swap set up. The end plate is different between the auto and the 5-speed trans but the automatic one can be cut to work. I believe the starters are also different between the auto and 5-speed which is why I suggested grabing these.

An odd ball part that might be worth collectiong is the boot on the inner tie rod where it meets the rack and pinion. The after market replacements don't fit worth a damn (too small).

Another odd ball part that often goes bad it the air recirculaition motor (black box behind the glove box). Might be worth grabbing a few of these. These can be fixed by the user but there should be a market for them over time as once they they wear out the second time you pretty much have to replace them.

One last suggestion. If you go to the the "For Sale" section at bottom of the forum page you'll see where you can post what is available for sale. You'll need 50 posts to be able to post for sale items. Folks will ask you how much for whatever they are interested in. You'll have to decide how much your time is worth to pull and ship them. Good luck
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I completely forgot about DOHC swap parts and 7g GS parts. The DOHC head is desireable. The ECU and rear anti sway bar from 1994 Galant GS tend to be desirable. Regular 7g did not have a rear anti sway bar and the GS ECU is already set up to run a DOHC engine. Parts used for swapping the rear brakes from shoes to disc used to be very popular as it was a very common upgrade. Not sure how much of market there is for parts as our cars are getting older and there are fewer on the road. Take a look at the tutorials and you'll see what's been done by members to improve their cars' performance and handling.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Thanks for the suggestions, eksz some of that stuff I'm already looking for. The plastic trim that goes around my 5 speed shifter needs to be replaced, I took my dog to the vet and she decided she wanted to sit in the front, 90lbs of dog stepped on the plastic trim peice and shattered it. I also need visors but who knows what kind of condition they'll be in at an Arizona junkyard, I was planning on reupholstering the visors if I can't find anything. Oh and Raks, they have a price list and they have Spoilers - bolt on listed at $24.99 each and they have 3 2001 Galants and 1 2003. They don't list what type of Galants they are, just the years so I won't know EXACTLY what they have until I go down there, I'll take some pics.