The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Excessive engine vibration - Where to find prothane mounts?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Excessive engine vibration - Where to find prothane mounts?

Hey guys,

As stated in another thread, my balance shaft belt has been deleted. Unfortunately, with completely stock engine mounts, it feels like a magnitude 4.0 earthquake every time I hit the gas lol. (Interior panels are rattling like crazy, kind of annoying, and I feel that it takes away from the ride quality a lot. It went from feeling like a cadillac under acceleration to feeling like I'm driving a jackhammer). I was expecting more vibration, but not this much.

I've heard that prothane mounts could help solve this, I did some searching on the forum, but I couldn't find a link to where I could order some.

I replaced both the driver's side mount and the front roll-stop mount within the last 6 months with new OEM mounts. I suspect though, that my rear roll-stop mount and passenger side mount are shot.

I also saw this link:
    http://mirage-performance.com/appart...inemounts.html
    About applying window sealant to the engine mounts to "stiffen" them up a bit. Is this as effective as the prothane mounts?

One more thing: for the past few months, on highways at speeds of about 60mph and greater (especially noticeable at 75 mph), I've noticed a rhythmic shudder in the car while driving in a straight line. It will shudder once every 5 seconds or so for about 20-30 seconds. Then, there is a long pause of smooth driving (about 30 seconds) and it repeats itself. I think it's coming from the back end, but only justification for my suspicion is that I can hear my tools rattling around in the trunk whenever it happens. I rotated the tires and the same thing happens. It feels like I'm hitting patches of extremely rough pavement that are evenly spaced out while on the freeway. Is this an engine mount related issue?

Thanks in advance for your helpful input!
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-10-2011 at 12:54 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

how did you delete the balance shafts? Explain plz

The window weld is pretty good and lets say it stiffens in between the stock and prothane level. Its pretty good for DIY and stock motor
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    how did you delete the balance shafts? Explain plz

The window weld is pretty good and lets say it stiffens in between the stock and prothane level. Its pretty good for DIY and stock motor
    I didn't even delete the B shafts. All I did was remove the BS belt. Is this part of the reason for my shaking / vibration?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

yes indeed...lol

You see you removed the belt which eliminated the one of the shafts....what about the other one behind the oil pump sprocket? It spins with the oil pump and when the other one is disabled, theres nothing to counter balance it ...creating vibration due to the weights on that shaft being rotated

Build Thread

yes indeed...lol

You see you removed the belt which eliminated the one of the shafts....what about the other one behind the oil pump sprocket? It spins with the oil pump and when the other one is disabled, theres nothing to counter balance it ...creating vibration due to the weights on that shaft being rotated
    Sounds like another day project behind the timing cover, a hack saw, and / or a giant pair of bolt cutters
    EDIT: and of course the balance shaft delete kit, Do you know where I could find the "stubs" at that go in place of the BS shafts?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    extreme psi sells the kit and then the crank sprocket spacer for deleting the BS, like 60 bucks
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

here is the link to the kit.it comes out to be $75.32 shipped.
    http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...0&cat=0&page=1

the hardest part would be taking the bolts and screw on the back of the oil pump. these strip so easy. You'll need some like an impact screw driver to get that screw out

Build Thread

You'll need some like an impact screw driver to get that screw out
    Got one! Bought it a while ago to remove the phillips head screws on certain brake disc rotors

Hey guys thanks for all your help! When the time comes to do this project, I will photograph and document my work and post it on a separate thread.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-10-2011 at 02:47 PM