The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: crank shaft position senser problem please help

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    Mongolhuu

crank shaft position senser problem please help

hi guys,

two days ago, i was driving my 02 galant and it turned off in the middle of the road. I checked my battery and gas and fuses. everything was fine.

It wont fully start even though it feels like starting... not quite there...

so i had to tow it to shop. The mechanic just called me and said its crank shaft positions sensor problem and i need to replace it. he is asking 480$. is this fair price? is this right diagnose? please helpme

thanks in advance,

mongol_huu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongolhuu View Post
    hi guys,

two days ago, i was driving my 02 galant and it turned off in the middle of the road. I checked my battery and gas and fuses. everything was fine.

It wont fully start even though it feels like starting... not quite there...

so i had to tow it to shop. The mechanic just called me and said its crank shaft positions sensor problem and i need to replace it. he is asking 480$. is this fair price? is this right diagnose? please helpme

thanks in advance,

mongol_huu
    You can always ask your mechanic to see the diagnostic code on the scanner if you aren't 100% sure you should trust him.

The sensor itself is ~$100. When mine went out because the balance shaft belt broke, I simply epoxied it back into place. If he is going to charge you $480 for it, I would go ahead and ask him to change your timing belt and balance shaft belt while he's in there. That shouldn't cost too much more, since it's all in the same place.

If you want to find out how reasonable his quote is, You can use the link below. I use it quite often to give my customers a ballpark figure:
    http://www.repairpal.com
    Although the site can't quote you a price for a crank sensor replacement, it can quote you for a timing belt changeout, which requires about the same amount of labor. They quoted me $278-$371 for that, but it varies by location. Therefore, your $480 quote seems a bit expensive. Did you take it to the stealership (dealer) or an independently-run shop?

EDIT: Whoops! I somehow didn't see until just now that you own an 8G. I could be wrong, but I believe the crank sensor is easier to get to in your car than mine. Therefore, the $480 price tag is even more ridiculous.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-14-2011 at 02:47 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    if you really need the sensor hit me wit a PM and we go from there.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    its a but much but it does involve a bit of labor to replace. the sensor is only actually $60 or so from a wholesale parts store... the diagnosis would be on par if the sensor is malunctioning it could effect the car starting

thats a fair price since the timing belt has to be remove.

If the CKP is dead it will throw a P0335 or P0355 I dont quite remember. Crank position Sensor circuit malfunction.

The price is fair considering he's gotta remove all of the timing covers and most of the belts to get to it. Have him replace the T-belt and Balance shaft belt along with the hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner pulleys while he is in there.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

480!!!! So we are talking 300+ bucks in labor the change the sensor? It can be done in about 1.5hrs with the right tools.

Pay a lil extra and do as stated above. Call and ask around to see if you are being jacked around on pricing.
    Last edited by shortdogg2k05; 02-14-2011 at 09:51 PM

Back from the dead!!!

Mongolhuu
    thanks for you all for response. i did called various places and it was ranging 400-500. so instead of hassling with towing my car again i got my car fixed there.
    well now it runs !!! so its all good.

@4g64lover. the code was po335.
    thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by shortdogg2k05 View Post
    480!!!! So we are talking 300+ bucks in labor the change the sensor? It can be done in about 1.5hrs with the right tools.

Pay a lil extra and do as stated above. Call and ask around to see if you are being jacked around on pricing.
    Yeah i know with the right tools it can be done fast. But the price is fair. The book time for a timing belt replacement is 4 hours labor time. So thats what every one is going to charge or price out. Labor prices can vary from $65 bucks up to $120 depending on where you go.

Dont want to start another thread.....

I have had a CEL for new cat forever so I pulled the light from the cluster so I dont have to look at it. Today for shits and gigglea (not giggling now) I scanned for codes and pulled p335 crank code. Car runs fine, idles fine, doesn't stall. No hesitation. Everything is good. So I ask WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Dont want to start another thread.....

I have had a CEL for new cat forever so I pulled the light from the cluster so I dont have to look at it. Today for shits and gigglea (not giggling now) I scanned for codes and pulled p335 crank code. Car runs fine, idles fine, doesn't stall. No hesitation. Everything is good. So I ask WTF?
    i would say clear the code and if doesnt come back on you should be good,if it comes back on then it needs to be replaced.

Do you think the car would run and idle fine with a shot crank sensor?

I ask because when I had my 3g V6 one of the cam sensors went and the car would stall at every stop.

I did clear it. Since its my girls daily I asked if it was doing anything, she said everything is fine. She usually is good about noticing things on it. Anyway shes working late, her job is a 45 mile round trip so the ECU should clock something by tonite.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 06-08-2011 at 11:39 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Do you think the car would run and idle fine with a shot crank sensor?

I ask because when I had my 3g V6 one of the cam sensors went and the car would stall at every stop.

I did clear it. Since its my girls daily I asked if it was doing anything, she said everything is fine. She usually is good about noticing things on it. Anyway shes working late, her job is a 45 mile round trip so the ECU should clock something by tonite.
    It is hard to tell because it is an electrical part so it can go at any time,the only thing to do is drive it and see if it comes back on,it might not be getting a complete signal or something.

When mine went the car ran it just miss fired when under a load.

^^^ Mine don't do any of that. Well it's due for timing so it'll get looked at.