The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mitsu is bringing back the Diamante....but with a catch

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Mitsu is bringing back the Diamante....but with a catch

This isn't what I had in mind but whatever works for them. So who want to join the Infiniti M forums in the near future?

Beleaguered Mitsubishi to rebadge Infiniti M as range-topping Diamante?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishi-diamante.html

By Andrew Ganz
    Friday, Feb 4th, 2011 @ 12:32 p.m.

Mitsubishi and Nissan aren’t exactly known for global cooperations, but the two automakers are said to be in talks about a trade that could see the three diamond brand wind up with a version of the Infiniti M as its new flagship sedan in North America.

Mitsubishi has already announced that it plans to pare back its lineup by dropping all of its U.S.-built offerings in just a handful of model years and it has indicated that it plans to form new partnerships with other brands in order to keep competing in this market. Now, reports from Japan suggest that it is interested in acquiring a version of the Infiniti M – and it could rebadge the new flagship with a now-vintage name, Diamante.
    The Diamante was last offered in North America about seven years ago as an Australian-built flagship sedan. Although its predecessor helped Mitsubishi achieve some of its best-ever sales years, the second-generation model failed to be competitive against rivals like the Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon.
    Japan’s Nikkei says that the Infiniti M, sold in Japan as the Nissan Fuga, could be rebadged as a Mitsubishi for Japan as early as the end of 2011.
    It’s not clear just what powertrains would be offered in a North American Mitsubishi Diamante, let alone what options and features. Given that the cheapest Infiniti M lists for over $40,000, it could be tough for North American Mitsubishi dealers to lure buyers into showrooms

Naturally, both Nissan and Mitsubishi have remained mum on the subject, but there’s no question that Mitsubishi dealers are hankering for something new to offer in their showrooms. Mitsubishi’s freshed North American sedan is its entry-level Lancer, which was last refreshed for the 2008 model year and its current “flagship” – if it can be called that – is the circa-2004 Galant.

wow

"Triangle Circle Triangle Square"

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBlur23 View Post
    wow
    x2
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    interesting

I personally don't like the body of the M

ya, but this is for Mitsu Japan. Japan always gets the nice things

^ very true.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    ya, but this is for Mitsu Japan. Japan always gets the nice things
    "Mitsubishi and Nissan aren’t exactly known for global cooperations, but the two automakers are said to be in talks about a trade that could see the three diamond brand wind up with a version of the Infiniti M as its new flagship sedan in North America"

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    "Mitsubishi and Nissan aren’t exactly known for global cooperations, but the two automakers are said to be in talks about a trade that could see the three diamond brand wind up with a version of the Infiniti M as its new flagship sedan in North America"
    Yea I wonder what they will have to give up in return.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer03 View Post
    Yea I wonder what they will have to give up in return.
    Give up...they already are getting rid of 3 models what more do you want them to stop making?

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    As of what I have seen so far Mitsubishi has just stoped with everything except for their new 2011 Outlander GT. They got rid of the v6 models of the 9g, annnnnd as of everything else....same old stuff and nothing new. I dont know whats up with them but what ever it is...to me it just dosnt look good.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Not Bad, Those Nissan VQ motors are pretty solid

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Not Bad, Those Nissan VQ motors are pretty solid
    I'd rather a Mitsubishi engine.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Give up...they already are getting rid of 3 models what more do you want them to stop making?
    referring to if this will go the other way as well and if you will see a mitsu/nissan car that's nissan badged. Like toyota/subaru with the ft-86. I doubt it tho I think nissan can do fine on their own.

Shit, I'd take a RWD luxury sedan, even if it's a rebadged infinity. Put it on Air with some 20 SSR Viennas... nuff said :)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    As of what I have seen so far Mitsubishi has just stoped with everything except for their new 2011 Outlander GT. They got rid of the v6 models of the 9g, annnnnd as of everything else....same old stuff and nothing new. I dont know whats up with them but what ever it is...to me it just dosnt look good.
    They are refreshening their vehicle lineup. They have been kinda playing the "follow the leader" approach on their vehicles the past several years. I am sure they are working on a fresh offering for the next generation vehicle lineup. Kinda surprised about this move..but curious how it evolves.

Expect Mitsubishi to really invest into electric vehicles in the up coming years though as the price of gasoline doesn't look like its going to get cheaper.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    They are refreshening their vehicle lineup. They have been kinda playing the "follow the leader" approach on their vehicles the past several years. I am sure they are working on a fresh offering for the next generation vehicle lineup. Kinda surprised about this move..but curious how it evolves.

Expect Mitsubishi to really invest into electric vehicles in the up coming years though as the price of gasoline doesn't look like its going to get cheaper.
    X2

If Mitsubishi can pull it off, they will be a bargain buy of the century stock wise. They are only trading at a few dollars on the Nikkei Stock Exchange.

6g74+CVT=huh?

couldn't stop thinking about this in the shower, this morning.