The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exhaust... catback and axle back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

Exhaust... catback and axle back?

I have a 2005 with the 2.4L. I'm looking for sound more so than performance since the gains would be minimal. I'm having a little problem finding an exhaust by anybody except Magnaflow. From what I've read, if it will fit the 4g Eclipse with the 2.4L then it will fit the galant as long as I have a portion extended.

My questions are...

Does anyone have an exhaust system on their 4cyl 9g and if so what brand?

If I got a Magnaflow, how much would a shop charge on average to extend it the length it needs to fit?

How much on average to have the shop install it? Or how hard will it be to install?

I think an axle back would be better especially since I'll have an easier time installing it myself but I just can't find any. A couple threads mentioned Greddy and HKS but when I go to their sites it's only for the V6

Any help?

If nothing else after I put the intake on I'll just buy a Magnaflow muffler to get a sound.

i do have custom catback exhaust,,i have megan muffler and shop charge me 150 for everything piping and stuff,,thats the best way to go and you can pick ur own muffler type like hks gready and other muffler....for axle back i know infliction have xlusive xhaust from the guy in canada but i dont know if they are still making it

8th and 9th gen galants

Quote Originally Posted by madkilla View Post
    i do have custom catback exhaust,,i have megan muffler and shop charge me 150 for everything piping and stuff,,thats the best way to go and you can pick ur own muffler type like hks gready and other muffler....for axle back i know infliction have xlusive xhaust from the guy in canada but i dont know if they are still making it
    What kind of place did you go to for them to make the piping and put it on? Meineke? Car-X? What?

I figure a 2.5 inch pipe and a nice magnaflow muffler would be nice.

i have a 4g eclpse hks axle back on my 9 but i had to have the pipe cut and flanged before it would fit. 279$ for the axle back and 55$ for the shop. Sound is deep almost the same as the hks on my evo may she rest in piece. but just buy the muffler dont do the axle back save the cash.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by rr2swift View Post
    i have a 4g eclpse hks axle back on my 9 but i had to have the pipe cut and flanged before it would fit. 279$ for the axle back and 55$ for the shop. Sound is deep almost the same as the hks on my evo may she rest in piece. but just buy the muffler dont do the axle back save the cash.
    Just buy a muffler and not even bother getting an exhaust made?

I'm scared just a muffler will make it sound like a fart can even though I'll have the intake put on too.

a axle back wont make sound any deeper, and it will be cut up anyway just go with the muffler and find a shop that does mandrel bending, no matter what you do if you go with a straight Thur design muffler your gonna a bit louder than a v6 or a turbo 4 cyl. and if you go with larger piping front to rear your killing your hp. its a tough call on a natural asp 4 cyl. but i say your best bet is hks or injn.

I can't find any Injen universal mufflers. And the HKS mufflers are pricey. Magnaflow is cheaper and might sound better.

I wish I could find some good videos on youtube of just mufflers and then tell the part numbers. I found a video of a 9g with a Magnaflow muffler but it doesnt say which one.

I'm thinking one with a core size of 2.5 inches would be good. Anything more and it would be more quiet.

But you think stay away from a full exhaust system cuz it will take away from the sound? I thought having a cat-back with larger piping all the way through will be louder and make it growl?

So what size pipe should I get going through it you think?

Also, check out this video. Any thoughts on what brand muffler this could be? I don't think it's Magnaflow cuz the tip doesn't match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvV3zon9d4
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 02-16-2011 at 11:53 PM

magnaflow is ok your stock pipe is 2.5 again if you go larger you loosing power i would stay with 2.5 and go with a muffler that has a removable baffle in it my hks does if i want it quiet i just put the baffle in. but any u pick will be louder. because its a 4cyl

magnaflow is ok your stock pipe is 2.5 again if you go larger you loosing power i would stay with 2.5 and go with a muffler that has a removable baffle in it my hks does if i want it quiet i just put the baffle in. but any u pick will be louder. because its a 4cyl
    You think I should go with a wider muffler, the oval ones? Or one of the circular ones. I would assume the oval ones, being bigger, would be a little softer but might have a lower growl?

And you recommend an HKS muffler huh? Wonder how those would sound compared to the Magnaflow, or the Injen? I'm not digging the Megan ones, something about them just screams "cheap".

no comments on Megen I've never heard one, oval will be smaller thus louder if you want something with a deep tone go with a dual chamber and pull off the resonator, any straight thru will be fart sounding but only because of the 4 cyl engine . magnaflow is more commercial so should be more ordnance compliant.

WyteFang
    what is the diameter for a stock tailpipe anyway?

tail pipe? or inlet to your muffler pipe? that sould be 2.5 inches

oval will be smaller thus louder if you want something with a deep tone go with a dual chamber and pull off the resonator, any straight thru will be fart sounding but only because of the 4 cyl engine . magnaflow is more commercial so should be more ordnance compliant.
    Hmmm... Ok I must have missed something or I've been reading things that are wrong. I thought the resonator was sort of like another muffler that is part of the tubing of a cat back. The part that comes between the catalytic converter and the muffler. All I know of are ones that are straight thru.

If possible... can you show a link to one of the mufflers your'e referring to that I should get? HKS, Injen, whatever you think so I can take a look. Appreciate it.

WyteFang
    the outlet on the tail pipe is what i mean u know, for a muffler tip

your right about the rez. but if your looking for a more rumble and less fart i said to cut out the rez and put in a sraght pipe in it's place and remove your stock muffler and put in a dual camber one in its place. because no matter what you do, if you put a sraight thru type muffler , axle back or just the muffler it will sound fartty.

WyteFang
    thats cool, i wish i knew alot about my car lol like were to find my factory pain code lol

lol, you can only learn by asking questions, no matter how dumb you feel every answer makes you that much more smarter, I've been turning wrenches for over 20 years and there is still more to learn.

your right about the rez. but if your looking for a more rumble and less fart i said to cut out the rez and put in a sraght pipe in it's place and remove your stock muffler and put in a dual camber one in its place. because no matter what you do, if you put a sraight thru type muffler , axle back or just the muffler it will sound fartty.
    Oooook... I think I get what you're saying. You're saying that since the exhaust pipes are already 2.5, I should just cut out the resonator in the middle of all the exhaust piping and put a straight pipe, then get a nice muffler?

That makes sense now, guess I was just reading you wrong. You're right, that would be alot cheaper than having a shop custom bend some piping. They can just cut out the resonator and weld a pipe on there and then install the muffler. Good idea.

Now... just gotta pick a muffler.

WyteFang
    dualy noted swift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast