The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Spacers

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Spacers

I searched but came up with nothing. What is the highest Spacer i can run on my G before having to extend my Studs would it be 5mm or 3mm.. for safety issure i also well prolly invest in some ET Lug nuts. I got a little rub on my front strut tower

you can get spacers that have another set of studs on them.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by rr2swift View Post
    you can get spacers that have another set of studs on them.
    Those are to big only come in 10mm and higher dont my fronts sticking out that much just need a little clearance

they sell thiner ones at pepboys or auto zone. they r alot thinner if thats all u need.

I know this lol im just asking how thick can i go until i have to get extended Studs i dont wanna be driving and watch my rim go rolling past me

i think if you go any wider than the spacrs they sale at pepbys then you have to step up to the other type, you really want as many threads as you can to be on the safe side.

stock is i think 1 inch of thread and you should be OK with at the least half inch but again u really need as much lug stud contact as possible.

Blah this is tiring i looked up other model cars running spacers with no problem 5x114.3 and there studs are alot shorter then our galants which are 45mm i believe most other cares i saw where like 42/41mm long and... alot of kits ive asked around about come with extended studs 45mm. if anyone is running a 5mm spacer please help me out thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    My opinion is that anything over 5mm you want extended studs. When you buy the spacers, spend the extra cash and buy the hub-centric spacers made from Ichiba, they sell them on ebay, its the same size as the ones for EVO's.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    When you buy the spacers, spend the extra cash and buy the hub-centric spacers made from Ichiba, they sell them on ebay, its the same size as the ones for EVO's.
    Hub-Centric FTW. Otherwise your shit's gonna shake like a motha..

So the highest i should go on stock studs is 5mm hub centric. and ill probably invest in some ET lugs as well. Am i correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhaze View Post
    So the highest i should go on stock studs is 5mm hub centric. and ill probably invest in some ET lugs as well. Am i correct?
    The highest I would recommend is 5mm. Any spacer you get should be hubcentric. Typically if you go to like a 20mm spacer or so, they will have studs built in and special lug nuts to hold the spacer to the stock studs, or you can install extended studs and use slide-on hub centric spacers. Im not sure what ET lugs mean?
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

extended studs wheel be on my list of things to do i would do it my self but im not sure if ill be able to compress the new stud back into the hub.

ET lug nuts are like this
    http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/hubconv/hub-6.htm

The threads extend threw the rim for extra contact on the stud you have to have Rims that are able to use ET lug nuts tho
    Last edited by Redhaze; 02-17-2011 at 08:29 PM

Sorry for the double post just doing my Homework. and future notes for anyone who searches for this topic

Our cars have 12mmx 1.5 lug nuts. so to 1.5 inches mm that means 38.1 mm of the lug nut needs to be on contact to the stud so with a 5mm spacer and a stock stud 45mm that would give me 40mm so i should be in good shape with a 5mm spacer.

And a added bonus ill be using ET lug nuts which extend 8.3mm from the acorn seat of the rim

Ok hear is an answer / help to your question.

As for thread requirement - The max thread needed to get the max holding strength is 1 1/2 times the diameter of the studs. That is how far down you would need to screw the lugs. But that is only based on a straight pull of the wheel off of the hub.

As for placing spacers onto the stock lugs. I would not do it because the lugs steel type is designed for a certian shear strength and the further the rim goes away from the hub the higher the actual shear being applied to the lugs goes up.

Best things to do is get a set of rims that already has the offset to them. That way you dont need spacers and it will be the strongest the connection will get with going non stock size rims.

Check with RedGalant2k1
    He knows alot about rims and such.

I'll also add to that, in your post above you were mentioning the studs being 12mm x 1.5, that doesnt mean what you think it means.

12mm is the diameter of the stud and 1.5 is the thread pitch, not the stud length. Use your noggin' why would they give the first measurement in millimeters and the second in inches? : )
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Alright so how hard is it to install new extended studs. Or how much do mechanics usually charge to install them

im only scared that i wont be able to compress them back into the hub

http://www.ehow.com/video_2328000_re...eel-studs.html

Watch this video, that really all thats to it

like stewi said you can run 5mm no problem on stock studs... with that said i just moved up to 10mm all around so i have my old set of ichiba 5mm spacers and 45mm extended studs if your interested pm me
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

dang lil late i just bought spacers like a week ago