The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New rotors - again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

New rotors - again.

So I've replaced the rotors and pads on front of my '03 3 times in 45k miles. Pads last, but the rotors warp. Is there a preferred non-warping rotor out there, or are they all crap? I don't need anything hi-perf. If it matters, car is driven 25% city/75% highway...

IDK but i have had great luck tihe the r1concepts rotors so far and they have by far the best braking i have found. they arent to expensive for them

Cryogen treated rotors are supposed stand up to warping better, you can try that.
    Dont wet or wash your car after driving it either, let the brakes cool...

Tensta
    I had rotor issues before. I broke an aluminum Louisville Slugger trying to get those bastards off.

what brand are you using for the rotors now?

Most folks here ride on R1Concept but nowadays the price on "high performance" rotors are just as priced as the oem rotors.

Tensta
    It's just got OEM replacements on it now. Bendix or whatever brand Advance Auto carried when I was a store manager. They have been fine.

I used Duralasts from Autozone on both my 3G and 8G, they sucked, had to replace every 6 months. Luckily a good friend of mine is a "grey shirt" manager, he swap all 4 rotors and pads for me under the warranty that comes with them. So every 6 months I was doing New pads and rotors all around at no cost except brake cleaner, I got pretty good at doing brakes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tensta View Post
    It's just got OEM replacements on it now. Bendix or whatever brand Advance Auto carried when I was a store manager. They have been fine.
    the wagner rotors are pretty good and they have a lifetime warranty on them.you can get them from advance auto parts.

Tensta
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I used Duralasts from Autozone on both my 3G and 8G, they sucked, had to replace every 6 months. Luckily a good friend of mine is a "grey shirt" manager, he swap all 4 rotors and pads for me under the warranty that comes with them. So every 6 months I was doing New pads and rotors all around at no cost except brake cleaner, I got pretty good at doing brakes.....
    Always good to have friends in management lol. I still get my employee discount at Advance even though I don't work there anymore lol. Also get stuff exchanged all the time, even if there is no warranty. Crooked bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensta View Post
    Always good to have friends in management lol. I still get my employee discount at Advance even though I don't work there anymore lol. Also get stuff exchanged all the time, even if there is no warranty. Crooked bastards.
    I Hear that Employee Discount in the Zone is 20%

Powerslot.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Tensta
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I Hear that Employee Discount in the Zone is 20%
    Yep, same for Advance. Military/firemen/police/senior citizen discounts were all 10% last I knew.

With all that talk about rotors (my preference would be anything that wasn't made in China) I'd also make sure the calipers are in good condition. Even if you have to rebuild them, it's cheaper then buying rotors on the regular basis. But i know the feeling, I've been in the same boat till I put the Baer BBK on. To give you an idea, I still have meet left on the original pads, the rotors are still great, the calipers work great, there's no rust, I just change the fluid once in a while. This is after like 4 years of usage.
    Last edited by gtx; 02-17-2011 at 04:10 PM

I was having the same problem with warping. Now it is not to bad.
    My fix was new calipers, new hardware, new pins, new rotors and now all seems to be good.

All auto zone parts with life time warrenty.

You all need to make sure the hub is clean when you install new rotors. An uneven rotor or hub surface will cause excessive runout (warping).

My R1Concepts e-lines lasted only about 45K miles, without warping. Changed them to the Premium, hoping it will last about 50K. The e-lines are cheap enough to replace every 50K though. Also I was told, that ceramic pads have a higher wear on the rotors than metallic ones, not too sure about that though.

All great response, appreciate it. I'll give the R1Concept e-lines a try and I agree re: ceramics - I'll stick with organic. Thanks much, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    My R1Concepts e-lines lasted only about 45K miles, without warping. Changed them to the Premium, hoping it will last about 50K. The e-lines are cheap enough to replace every 50K though. Also I was told, that ceramic pads have a higher wear on the rotors than metallic ones, not too sure about that though.
    Yes ceramic will wear into the rotors more then metallic, cause they are harder then metellic.

go with OEM rotors and premium pads and remember there is a brake in routen no hard braking until they warm up. i learned that the hard way, the brakes on my evo yes brimbo rotors would tweak if i didn't let them warm. and i just went back to oem rotors on my 9g just last week because of warped aftermarket rotors.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast