The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: crank sensor help needed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    hrdfrntr95

Icon4 crank sensor help needed...

hey guys i just bought a 95 galant 2.4 16v that needs a crank sensor..or so i was told..BUT WHERE IS IT......haynes says its on the dist...that doesnt sound right...

the car runs GREAT while driving. misses from time to time the guy said. but from a dead stop like at a red light when you go to leave it sputters and dies and has to be restarted. and sometimes upon restarting it kinda acts like its outa time when trying to start.

i tried looking down around the crank pulley for wires but didnt see anything. but i also havent jacked it up yet either.

ANY HELP OR A DIAGRAM to this would be AWESOME, ive never messed with these sensors nor i have ever owned a mitsu....

thanks
    dj

the crank sensor is behind the timing cover.

hrdfrntr95
    thats what i thought....when the book said on the distributor i was like WTH....and i take it its a real pain to replace aint it?

i have honestly never replaced one but it seems like it is a pain.is your engine a sohc or dohc?

hrdfrntr95
    its a 16v sohc 2.4

94-95 sohc simulated crank and cam triggers are in distributor, 96 and up use an actual crank trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    94-95 sohc simulated crank and cam triggers are in distributor, 96 and up use an actual crank trigger.
    oh so he has to replace the distributor then?

TGC Regular
    yes he has to replace the distributer if its a crank sensor issue.. Who told you that it was a crank sensor issue? Was it a mechanic? Did he read any codes? or was he just guessing???

If the crank signal is the problem then yes. If it is a guess or a questionable diagnosis try a used one. The distributor is also much larger on the 94-95 models.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    If the crank signal is the problem then yes. If it is a guess or a questionable diagnosis try a used one. The distributor is also much larger on the 94-95 models.
    ok yeah he would get a check engine light on to if that is the problem right?the crank sensor can just make a car stall out though like he said it does.

Electrical issues can be difficult to diagnose sometimes because it can fail intermittently, under load, cold, hot, wet or simply flat out fail. A common no start, miss or die issue in Nissans is an oil seal fails in the distributor and the symptoms are very similar to what is described above.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    either way if you need the sensor or the distributor, i have it!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    i have honestly never replaced one but it seems like it is a pain.is your engine a sohc or dohc?
    the 94 GS DOHC uses the same crank angle sensor on the drivers side as the 2g turbo cars.

the 96-98 have the sensor in the same spot but different part number

94-95 SOHC is in the distributor
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

hrdfrntr95
    ok so the crank sensor that the parts house sold me i dont need??

on my distributor there are 2 plugs on the top of it that tie into the wiring harness. one of them is the sensor and it doesnt have a normal one down on the crank??

whats a dist cost?

hey bronxbombr what ya want for it?

hrdfrntr95
    the guy i bought it from said he was told that it was the crank sensor by his mechanic friend.....there isnt a check engine light on on the dash unless it doesnt work.

do these cars have a post for a scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by hrdfrntr95 View Post
    ok so the crank sensor that the parts house sold me i dont need??

on my distributor there are 2 plugs on the top of it that tie into the wiring harness. one of them is the sensor and it doesnt have a normal one down on the crank??

whats a dist cost?

hey bronxbombr what ya want for it?
    the sensor is in the distrubutor.a distributor at autozone is around $214.bronxbomber works at a parts place so he can probably get it a little cheaper.

hrdfrntr95
    found a NEW one on ebay for 170...free ship...lifetime warranty....

if yall are saying i need it then i guess i better take the 80 sensor back and order the distributor...

so NEW PROBLEM.....how hard is the distributor to replace????

hrdfrntr95
    oreilly wants 249-275 for one....depending on OEM or 2 different rotor cams....WTH.....IM LOST

Your brothers already gave you the info you need reread it if it needs to sink in. I wouldn't spend $200 on a guess though. Do you know the mechanic? It is an easy swap only two 12mm nuts and it slides out maybe 5-10 minutes total.

its a common thing for the distributor to go. mine went bad 3 months after i bought the car
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast