The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High Flow Catalytic Converter

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

High Flow Catalytic Converter

Since I'm going to be putting on an intake, getting a nice muffler and more than likely cutting out the resonator and putting in straight piping... would it be a good idea to get a high flow catalytic converter put on? And if so, what brands/styles would be recommended?

Do you have the 2.4?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome
    -Andrew

Catco high flow
    vibrant metal core cat
    both requires welding

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Catco high flow
    vibrant metal core cat
    both requires welding
    I don't think a high flow cat is all that necessary with a 2.4L do you? If I had the V6, probably.

If you straight pipe it its gonna sound like junk. Get a magnaflow high flow cat thats what i have plus i have a oem high flow muffler,a resonator, all three inch and im turboed. magnaflow cats sound real good.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    If you straight pipe it its gonna sound like junk. Get a magnaflow high flow cat thats what i have plus i have a oem high flow muffler,a resonator, all three inch and im turboed. magnaflow cats sound real good.
    When I look at Magnaflow's site, none say they are "High Flow", so what makes a catalytic converter high flow exactly? What is the difference between the ceramic ones and the metallic and the spun... etc? I can figure out which size I need based on their charts... but the difference in the catalysts I have no idea which is better or needed or... what the diff is...

Got anything for me?

Plus, since the inlet and outlet of a cat are the same, and I go from what my system is now.. 2.25" to a 2.5" cat, how are they gonna weld the in side to the header or whatever?
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 02-20-2011 at 01:03 AM

best thing to do would be to scrap the idea...the car wont be faster wont sound faster and wont feel faster plus you will throw a CEL just get your exhaust done and leave the cats alone.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Quote Originally Posted by g-ridda View Post
    best thing to do would be to scrap the idea...the car wont be faster wont sound faster and wont feel faster plus you will throw a CEL just get your exhaust done and leave the cats alone.
    Not trying to be faster, just want a nicer sound. A lower deep growl.

But I suppose 2.5" without a resonator and a nice muffler would do the job without messing with the cat.

Alittle off topic, but i thought the resonator helped with the deepness of the exhsust. I could be wrong.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    Alittle off topic, but i thought the resonator helped with the deepness of the exhsust. I could be wrong.
    I spose it would depending on the resonator, but the resonator is pretty much another muffler. Maybe if I got an aftermarket resonator?

You bring up a good point.
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 02-20-2011 at 12:15 PM

Resonators are used as sound dampeners, replacing a resonator with another wont do anything... just replace your muffler to any of your liking and you will get the growl ur looking for. Try not to go to cheap with the muffler or you'll get what u pay for
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10 View Post
    Resonators are used as sound dampeners, replacing a resonator with another wont do anything... just replace your muffler to any of your liking and you will get the growl ur looking for. Try not to go to cheap with the muffler or you'll get what u pay for
    Well I was thinking of the Dynomax VT muffler, and then have the Meineke shop mandrel bend some 2.5" pipe to make a catback.

I've read good things about the Dynomax VT muffler and saw some good stuff on YouTube also. Nice and quiet when just cruising until you open her up to WOT. Best part is, it has a 90 day trial period. If I don't like the sound/performance of it I can send it back and they'll even pay up to $50 at the shop to have them take it off and put a different one on.

And I'll just not mess with the catalytic converter. I'll get the custom catback made and the muffler and leave it at that with the short ram I'm gonna put on.

masterjohnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    Catco high flow
    vibrant metal core cat
    both requires welding
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Since I'm going to be putting on an intake, getting a nice muffler and more than likely cutting out the resonator and putting in straight piping... would it be a good idea to get a high flow catalytic converter put on? And if so, what brands/styles would be recommended?
    check out this thread mate https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=42764
    i think all of the things that you should now before buying a high flow cat are in there.
    Last edited by masterjohnson; 04-07-2011 at 08:22 PM

im also about to do my entire exhaust over my greddy rotted and i took it off.

since i already took out my resonator i was planning on putting a cherry bomb in its place. Also i want to get a Universal HKS Hi power, i was wondering if we can weld hangers onto the actual canester of the exhaust. Any help would be appreciated, i really wana get my exhaust set up so i can move on to my headers
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by masterjohnson View Post
    check out this thread mate https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=42764
    i think all of the things that you should now before buying a high flow cat are in there.
    I'll read that link here in a minute. I ended up deciding against the high flow cat unless I went and got those RRE headers, but when I saw the price and took into consideration what a shop would charge to install them I said heck with it. I dunno if I would be able to do those myself.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Its Reu View Post
    im also about to do my entire exhaust over my greddy rotted and i took it off.

since i already took out my resonator i was planning on putting a cherry bomb in its place. Also i want to get a Universal HKS Hi power, i was wondering if we can weld hangers onto the actual canester of the exhaust. Any help would be appreciated, i really wana get my exhaust set up so i can move on to my headers
    The Meineke shop that did my custom exhaust welded hangers on the canister. My guess is that since the tips or piping coming out is usually welded on you should be able to weld hangers on the muffler but around the weld it will take away from the shiney finish of the muffler.

From what I've heard of the cherry bomb glass packs put in place of the resonators, they tend to give the car a higher pitched sound.

If I were you I'd buy one of the smaller "mufflers" from like magnaflow and use it as a resonator, that's what I did, and they are inexpensive. I used it like a resonator and my car still has a nice deep low sound without being OVERLY loud. It's very classy when just cruising and very nice at WOT. Not like those obnoxious honda civics you see alot.

Here's the link to muffler I had them put on for a resonator: http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1041.../dp/B000COTCI0

Lowest price from certain sellers is $52, but I'd order it from amazon and then it's $62 with free shipping. I think it will give you a much better sound than a cherry bomb. But that's my opinion.

If you wanna hear how mine sounds with the Magnaflow mufflers I used as a resonator and tail end muffler let me know and I can probably make a clip for you.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

I gutted my cats and have only main cat and all do way straight piped no res no muffler

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk