The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TCU Code 21: Open-Circuited Kickdown Servo

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

TCU Code 21: Open-Circuited Kickdown Servo

So I just found out today that my OBD-II scanner doesn't actually read transmission codes. I followed the instructions given at this webpage to pull my TCU code:
    http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm

(I have a piece of crap auto trans that was rebuilt at 100k just FYI)

I got two "long" pulses and one "short" pulse, which I think means
    code 21: Open-Circuited Kickdown Servo.
    I have been driving this car 20k miles with this error code in the transmission and I didn't even know it.
    Does anyone know any specifics about what this servo does?

The wire leading to the kickdown servo switch was shredded and frayed at the plastic connector. I don't think it's been connected since I got the car. I pulled out the servo switch and soldered a wire onto it. I'll splice this into the harness where the connector used to be.
    I am very optimistic about this code. I'm hoping it will cure my harsh 1-2 upshifts. I'm also hoping that it will allow the transmission to move into a higher gear after cresting long hills. As of now, the tranny "hangs" in a lower gear with the engine racing when I crest a hill. It's like the transmission forgets that it needs to upshift. I can fix this issue while driving by bumping into neutral and then back into drive again.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 02-21-2011 at 10:52 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Update: I repaired the broken wire connector by the servo. I now have the sensor working again, but unfortunately I did not detect any discernible difference in shifting behavior.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear