The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing aftermarket stereo in '04 Galant ES

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 63
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Just because best buy may have upset you in the past does not mean they are all the same, when I was there we also did custom work like custom boxes, amp racks and fiberglass. I still keep in touch with installers there and have seen their work much better than the private shops around here.

Remember thats just around here...

BTW im not MECP Certified
    The thing with best buy is simple. Not all the techs are MECP certified, for one. 2, Best Buy is going to be getting out of the mobile auto install business which means if there is a problem who are you going to complain to later? 3, whether the techs at BB mess up or not, the BB will still be there regardless because its a large company and will survive. A local shop in business awhile wouldn't survive unless it was good. 4, BB is overpriced. 5, It needs to be said again, BB techs aren't required to be MECP certified. Why would you want to pay up to 2-3 times as much to a guy who probably doesn't know that much about what he was doing?

Last... your complaints are a bit off topic. If you want to get personal or discuss this further use the private message option. Try to keep stuff on topic.

Pretty much on topic, letting the guy know he's OK to take it to a Best Buy

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    How is best buy over priced? Early you just said a shop could do it in 30 min for $50 correct? Guess what best buy charges? That's right $50.

As far as the MECP thing goes, all bb installers are supposed to be certified within a certain time frame of being hired into the company.

Also, I really doubt they will be leaving the car audio business since there is such a large amount of margin to be made on product and labor.

Sent from my DROIDX

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    How is best buy over priced? Early you just said a shop could do it in 30 min for $50 correct? Guess what best buy charges? That's right $50.

As far as the MECP thing goes, all bb installers are supposed to be certified within a certain time frame of being hired into the company.

Also, I really doubt they will be leaving the car audio business since there is such a large amount of margin to be made on product and labor.

Sent from my DROIDX
    +1

Ever since the CircuitCity fallout, BestBuy's around here have been swamped day in and day out.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-23-2011 at 12:49 PM

Not all cars need a dash kit or antenna adaptor. Look at the 1999-2003 Galants, only a wiring harness is needed. But on the 9g galants and MOST vehicles a dash kit is needed.

Using a wiring harness makes installation 200x easier. You don't have to pull the wiring diagram for the radio and splice into wires. Not to mention it is much safer so you don't fuck something up.

BTW, if you have the infinity system in your car, you have the wrong harness.
    Ok, well I went ahead and ordered the dash kit last night. So now I have the dash kit and wiring harness, I guess I just need to decide on a head unit. Was really set on that JVC until the poster on page 1 said that JVC's are no good. I'm thinking it might have just been a bad egg that he got because I've read quite a few reviews on it, and it's gotten good reviews minus a few people who complain about the ipod controls, which don't matter to me since I don't have an ipod.

Thanks for all the help and speedy answers guys! This seemed like the only galant forums I could find anywhere that actually had active members.

Oh, and does anyone know about my question on page 1 about running wires for subs and that bracket in the trunk?

Jvc is ok. Just more of an entry level unit. I have had more alpine and sony units fail than jvc. It is all a matter of opinion and preference. I prefer eclipse, kenwood, and pioneer

Sent from my DROIDX

JVC will do your zune just fine. In fact I find them to be more user friendly than the brands mentioned above, The decks Scott mentioned have a lot of settings to adjust for cleaning up sound when running multiple amps, settings that can be a little complicated to the lay person...no offense.

JVC will do your zune just fine. In fact I find them to be more user friendly than the brands mentioned above, The decks Scott mentioned have a lot of settings to adjust for cleaning up sound when running multiple amps, settings that can be a little complicated to the lay person...no offense.
    No it's cool, I really don't need a ton of settings. I mean, on my last stereo, all I did was adjust the BASS every once and a while depending on the song. I'm really not very picky about stuff. Upgrading to Fosgates in my old car and adding subs was like the most extreme thing I did. Haha.

Stick with your JVC, they offer lots of incentives like iPod, usb, aux and remote control for a low price, sound isn't bad either. As for running your Amp wires, make sure you leave the fuse out of the power wire until you are ready to use it. Also make sure it matches the Amplifiers fuse rating, If one isn't in the amp look at the manual for it. Get a good solid ground no more than 3FT long, send your Remote and RCA wire Hide them through the panels as best as you can and as clean as you can, Remote wires is the wire that triggers your amp on and off.

As far as box it should fit in the trunk, may not sit as back as you want it to.

Stick with your JVC, they offer lots of incentives like iPod, usb, aux and remote control for a low price, sound isn't bad either. As for running your Amp wires, make sure you leave the fuse out of the power wire until you are ready to use it. Also make sure it matches the Amplifiers fuse rating, If one isn't in the amp look at the manual for it. Get a good solid ground no more than 3FT long, send your Remote and RCA wire Hide them through the panels as best as you can and as clean as you can, Remote wires is the wire that triggers your amp on and off.

As far as box it should fit in the trunk, may not sit as back as you want it to.
    :agree:

Sent from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX
    Somebody didn't read the fine print... the $50 is just to start.

"*Additional charges
    A materials charge of $5 per vehicle will be assessed at time of installation. Standard installations do not include any vehicle-specific parts or accessories (for example: wiring harnesses, antenna adapters, wired FM modulators, etc.). Additional charges will be assessed for vehicle-specific parts and accessories or for any non-standard installation. The Geek Squad Autotech will provide an estimate to you prior to performing work that requires an additional charge. "

I think I know my own pricing list bun. A small shop doesn't include the parts for $50 either. And all shops normally charge a materials charge to cover tape, solder, crimps, or anything else tha needs to be used dying insall.

So try again

Sent from my DROIDX

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Somebody didn't read the fine print... the $50 is just to start.

"*Additional charges
    A materials charge of $5 per vehicle will be assessed at time of installation. Standard installations do not include any vehicle-specific parts or accessories (for example: wiring harnesses, antenna adapters, wired FM modulators, etc.). Additional charges will be assessed for vehicle-specific parts and accessories or for any non-standard installation. The Geek Squad Autotech will provide an estimate to you prior to performing work that requires an additional charge. "
    Yeah, I read up on Best Buy, and a lot of people said they will charge an additional $30 plus on top of the initial $50, one guy even paid an extra $130, and these are charges they didn't always tell the customer straight up before doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24 View Post
    Yeah, I read up on Best Buy, and a lot of people said they will charge an additional $30 plus on top of the initial $50, one guy even paid an extra $130, and these are charges they didn't always tell the customer straight up before doing the work.
    Actually that is incorrect information. He installers must get permission from the customer first prior to continuing an installation when it is going to be higher than quoted.

One reason for their installs bring so high isprobably because they attempted to do it themselves, cut off the factory plug, and fried something.

So basically stuff you read, they were not giving you the full story

Sent from my DROIDX

^^^Either that or their vehicle was factory amplified and needed to be bypassed+time consuming = $$$.

Or like I had one case where the customer thought free install included parts (harness/dashkit) and the labor for ampsub and speakers(4)

These people will rant thinking that just because they buy a deck everything is now free.
    Free installation* Basic labor.
    Bose, Harmon Kardon, Mark Levinson, Infinity, Toyota JBL not basic last time I checked.

Sent from my DROIDX
    DROID X
    Best Phone I Ever Had!!
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-23-2011 at 04:43 PM

If you weren't 4 hours away I would help you

If you weren't 4 hours away I would help you
    Well I go to school 4 hours from you, but live 2 1/2 hrs away. But it's cool, my friend seems very confident in his abilities, so hopefully he doesn't fuck my shit up.

If you want my number for help Just shoot me a pm

Sent from my DROIDX

Actually that is incorrect information. He installers must get permission from the customer first prior to continuing an installation when it is going to be higher than quoted.

One reason for their installs bring so high isprobably because they attempted to do it themselves, cut off the factory plug, and fried something.

So basically stuff you read, they were not giving you the full story

Sent from my DROIDX
    Yeah... cuz there's NO way a tech at a mobile electronics shop would EVER go ahead and do the work before clearing the price with the customer... right.

It's a common tactic. Not just at shops like that, but mechanics, or any place that offers repair or installation of merchandise. They do the work, then tell the customer. The customer is furious and often is so mad they will just pay the bill so they can get out of there as quickly as possible.

But I'm sure EVERY bad review out there, regardless of the service, is fabricated and not the full story. Because there's no way a customer service rep or tech wouldn't be forth coming with all the info before hand... ever. (sarcasm) Let's face it, just cuz an installer "must" get permission before hand, doesn't mean they always do. Like I said it's a tactic But then again, I guess... the customer is always lying when telling a bad experience at a store.

Or.... maybe you are one of the very few honest individuals that actually do your job correctly and not try to cheat the customer ever. In that case, I applaud you.

I think I know my own pricing list bun. A small shop doesn't include the parts for $50 either. And all shops normally charge a materials charge to cover tape, solder, crimps, or anything else tha needs to be used dying insall.

So try again

Sent from my DROIDX
    I was more referring to this "Additional charges will be assessed for vehicle-specific parts and accessories or for any non-standard installation."..... non-standard install.

And off the top of my head I can think of 3 local shops that include the cost of those basic materials in the install charge. As long as there aren't any unexpected problems that arise during the install, it's a done deal. Doing that much business, and able to knock out those quick installs they more than make up what they need for the accessories.

And as a bonus, most of those shops offer you the install at a discounted price, some even half price if you buy the electronics there after they already do a price match on whatever the cheapest price you found online or in another store.

None the less... BB is getting out of the mobile electronics install business for many of these same reasons.

There's 6 Best Buys in my area, and those are just the ones I know of. In the time I've spent just waiting for stuff to be done on my car, there's been at least a dozen people who have come in to this particular shop, and countless calls saying that the guys at BB didn't know how to install this or that or they just couldn't and they literally referred the customers TO this shop. And I'd be one of them...

All 6 Best Buys said they couldn't bypass the factory amp for my Infinity system, and each one referred me there. Waiting in the shop I saw the same thing from many other people and even saw some of the wiring they did which had DO soldering what so ever.

One best buy... I'd say ok maybe they just got dumb techs... but all 6 of the best buys saying that they can't bypass the factory amp? And I go to this shop and they don't even have a problem with it and clear it out in 45 minutes... please. MECP certified techs please...

Just my 2 cents

I guess that's why these local shops have all these awards on the walls and posted certificates along with pictures of local sports athletes bringing their cars in.

I can go on and on but I think I'm going to leave it there....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast