The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lowering kit, basic questions, install

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Lowering kit, basic questions, install

I haven't found the answers I was looking for searching the forum.

I'm driving a 2005 ES, with 16 inch upgraded alloy wheels. So... pretty much stock, same size tires as what came on the car.

My questions are, how easy is it to install them myself? What are the basics of installing them? Out of curiousity, how much would it cost to have a shop install them?

I don't plan on getting aftermarket wheels. Megan's drop 1.75" and WORKS 1.18". Will dropping it that low cause any kind of rubbing of the tires in the wheel wells? WORKS says that lowering it any more than what their springs do it will compromise suspension travel, degrade ride quality, alter wheel alignment and often causes tire rubbing.

Are their bump stops really worth it to keep me from bottoming out? WORKS says "The ride height was designed as low as possible to maintain proper suspension travel, which prevents "bottoming-out" or riding on the bumpstops."

I'm also not sure if 1.18" is significant to look all that good to the eye compared to Megan's 1.75". I read on here that people like the Megans so the quality is good for both brands. Would the WORKS bump stops work the same with Megan's lowering springs?
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 02-24-2011 at 07:03 AM

Really you tried to neg rep for a pointless disagreement on audio shops. Where you get the red pebbles, those werent there a few days ago.....

Now to answer your questions that have been covered more times on this forum then a rabbit thrusts his tiny pelvis during mating season.

Everything Works said is true.
    It isn't easy unless you have the right tools. Spring compressors, torque wrench, air gun ( really helps). Coil-Spring install at a shop are around $75-$100 an axle. Works Bump stops will not work with Megan's as the ride height is lower, you will either bottom out all the time or not get the entire drop due to the bump stop.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Don't go to best buy, it's a crap shoot on if you will get good work done or not. Look in the yellow pages. If the shop doesn't have a website or can't produce techs certifications, or doesn't have awards and things like that... yeah... not good. The shop I go to is where all the Indianapolis Colts players go to have their Mercedes and Lambo's and Bentley's hooked up... and the prices are cheaper than Best Buy.... Trust us... pay the $50-ish bucks and have a pro put it in if you're not 100% sure. It will take 30-45 minutes.
    Why dont you take it to the shop where the Indianapolis Colts take their cars so an ASE tech with his pic on the wall can look at it......
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-25-2011 at 02:03 AM

keep it civilized guys!
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

^^^ Im tryin, that's why answered to stay On topic
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 08-12-2011 at 01:28 PM