The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Longevity no balance shafts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    REmoving one shaft and leaving the oil pump one there is not a method of deleting balance shafts. It's just half assing the thing. Its no different than broken balance shaft belt would do to the engine. YOu either get the stubby or cut and center the existing shaft and then weld the hole.
    The reason I chose to remove only the balance shaft belt was because I was really, really short on cash . It came down to either getting to work or not getting to work; putting food on the table or having an empty plate. I had to improvise and get my ride going again as quickly as possible or I would risk losing my job. That's why I chose to remove only the belt. I didn't half-ass my ride because I was lazy or didn't know how to repair it properly, I just couldn't afford the $75 for the stubby kit. As soon as I can come up with more spare cash, I'll get that kit.

BTW, congrats on the car of the month buddy! It looks sick!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

75 for the stubby kit?

You know the stubby shaft(the only part you NEED) is only $12 brand new OEM mitsubishi Genuine part. that and a oil pump gasket and you are done. You can just leave the front shaft in. Its easier.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Theres a free way of doing this. I have done it to two oil pumps now and it works w/o a problem.

Get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the shaft about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base of the pump. The piece left will still have some weight left on one of the side so shave that extra material so the shaft looks round and not oval. After you cut it, there will be a hole right in the middle; get a tap and do the hole then you a bolt in there and spot weld the bolt so it doesnt come loose. Youre done. Its pretty much building your own stubby shaft
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    75 for the stubby kit?

You know the stubby shaft(the only part you NEED) is only $12 brand new OEM mitsubishi Genuine part. that and a oil pump gasket and you are done. You can just leave the front shaft in. Its easier.
    That's excellent!!! You wouldn't happen to have a link for that $12 stubby would you? I have a link to a stubby kit on one of my threads for ~$75 with shipping included. That's where I was basing the price in my post:
    http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...0&cat=0&page=1

MKO, that is also an excellent idea! I did not know you could that; hadn't heard about that technique until just now. I've never taken apart my oil pump to have a look at the BS. I could probably use your technique, I'd just have to find somebody with a welder here in Boone, NC to spot weld the bolt for me. Thanks for the tip I appreciate it!

w/oartic: Sorry man I'm not tryin' to jack your thread!!!
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 03-12-2011 at 12:43 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

The part number is MD098626 , call your dealer.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Theres a free way of doing this. I have done it to two oil pumps now and it works w/o a problem.

Get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the shaft about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base of the pump. The piece left will still have some weight left on one of the side so shave that extra material so the shaft looks round and not oval. After you cut it, there will be a hole right in the middle; get a tap and do the hole then you a bolt in there and spot weld the bolt so it doesnt come loose. Youre done. Its pretty much building your own stubby shaft
    I just did it like this yesterday, thanks works great and it is nice to be able to do it without ordering parts. A 8 x 1.25 tap works perfect and no drilling needed. For the front hole I was hoping to use a freeze plug and read somewhere a 40mm would fit but it is way too big same with 35mm. I guess I still have to order the seal.

Back on the original OP topic of the longevity without balance shafts, I would like to add that having no balance shafts in the engine can increase torsional vibration in the crankshaft, which is detrimental to the crank bearings. To what extent the torsional vibration is increased, and just how detrimental it is to the bearings (in the 4G64 engine) is very difficult to tell.

The only real definitive, scientific way to measure the effects of no balance shafts would be to set up an experiment with two identical, brand new 4G64 motors in a laboratory. One engine has both balance shafts, the other has none. Both are run the same # of miles at the same RPM. Then, after X thousand miles on the engines, they're taken apart, and the crank bearings' thicknesses are measured with a micrometer.

^But to be honest, that's never going to happen. So....THE BEST thing you can do for your engine after deleting the balance shafts is to install a liquid-filled harmonic balancer

EDIT: You can buy said balancer from Fluidampr for the 4G63 engine. I believe it should also fit ours as well. The part number is 630701. You can order it from Summit Racing here:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLU-630701/
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 06-23-2011 at 01:50 AM

that was simply put Mko. i may have to do the balance shafts deleat, cause my motor revs slower than normal, 2500 rpm on up. any clues?

Experienced TGC Member
    no balance shafts for 3 years and over 30k on the engine and ive been boosted for about 6k. Beating it to hell every time i get in it for the past 3k and no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12