The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 12v power source for wiring?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

12v power source for wiring?

So I'm planning to get some LED strips to accent under foot boards and things like that, but I'm having figuring out what to use as a 12v power source. I don't want to wire anything to my parking lights since my HID fogs are already hooked up to those. Somebody mentioned something about hooking it up to the fuse box but I don't know how, and I haven't found anything in the 9g section

I looked in the owners manual at the fuse box diagram but it doesn't really say anything about which spots run 12v or anything like that.

I want to hook up the front set to go on when I turn on the parking lights and the rear set to go off of a toggle switch. Just need help finding a 12v power source other than splicing into the actual parking light lines, which I've already done for the HID relay.

What are some different ways to hook them up so they come on when I turn the parking lights on? And what about hooking them up to use a toggle switch to flip them on?

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

I'm doing this to the G pretty soon. already have the LED's, just need to find the time.

IMO foot-wells that come on with parking lights is kinda Ricey....
    All 4 of mine will light upon opening a door.
    But if you must, there's nothing wrong with tapping into the park light wire again, it should be under the dash. As far as toggle switch, run an ACC wire to the switch then to the lights, no relays needed LED current draw isn't alot.

All done with 5 of these, foot wells wired to the courtesy lights on doors, and glove box has pushpin.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-01-2011 at 06:03 PM

Won't tapping into the parking light wire multiple times limit the power going to them? I wouldn't know... but common sense would tell me yes?

Or maybe buy a volt meter and check which plugs in the fuse box are running 12v but not being used? Like for fog lights or heated seats or something?

Just nervous if running too many things off the parking lights it will cause them to not get enough power.

Your fogs should be tapped to park lights using relay, it wont limit power going to the lights but too much current draw will blow fuses. LED's hardly draw current.

What if I tap into the wire for the speedometer and tach and all that? They'll come on with the parking lights then also.

Negative, the fuse rating is lower. You're best bet is the parking light wire. Do you have a relay for you're fogs?