The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: white smoke

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

white smoke

Hello,

I recently changed the head gasket on a 99' Galant 2.4 when a friend of mine said it was blown. I replaced it, and now when it runs white smoke comes out of the exhaust after about 5 minutes of idling.

I tried running some Bars engine block sealant through it but it didn't really help. Someone told me that there must be a very small leak because it only leaks water when the car heats up (metal expands).

Any suggestions what to do next?

Thanks to all

Maybe the head was warped?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Metal with heat = exspanson
    Yes

But if you just replaced your heads and the gasket what might be happening is there is a leak in the headgasket. If it is coolent being burnt. Then when it heats up the presure builds and pushes threw. If it is oil burning the oil is heating up and getting more liquified allowing it to seep out. Either way it could be many things leaking. But what is it coolent or oil?

I wonder how bad it overheated to blow the gasket. If you exhaust all other options, check the head for warpage and go from there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Thanks for all of your responses. Before I reinstalled the cylinder head, I had it pressure checked at a machine shop and the resurfaced the bottom of it. I drained the oil recently and it did look milky, considering the oil was brand new. I don't know if I should try removing the head again and put on a new gasket or if there is some kind of miracle fluid I can run through the engine to seal the small holes.

Also, the owner told me that when the car overheated the first time, he noticed white smoke and shut the car off (the car didn't shut itself off). He also said that the temp gauge didn't peg all the way to hot, maybe 3/4 of the way to hot.

I noticed something strange today. When the car is running for a while (>10 mins) and is operating at normal temp (half way between H and C), the lower radiator hose is not hot, it is actually pretty cool. Its weird that the car doesn't overheat according to the temp gauge, but water is steaming out of the reservoir tank.

Before reinstalling the thermostat, I checked it in a pot of boiling water and it works fine. I also installed a new water pump, so I'm trying to figure out why the water is not circulating and yet the car doesn't overheat!!

just wondering if you purdged out all the air from the system. Not saying that is the cause of the smoke. however what i'm saying is I am in the heating business rules are simple water heated to lets say 180 degress while under pressure is fine but if you drop the pressure quickly it will flash to steam so the reservoir will bubble. fill the system run the engine w/ the radiator cap off once the engine is up to temp( thermostat open) top off and cap radiator.

It seems that the galant doesn't burp very well. When I last changed the coolant in my wifes car it seemed that only 2/3 of what came out went back in.

One thing you can do is when the engine is cold take a 2 liter coke bottle and fill it with coolant and pull the hose off the overflow tank and stick it in the coke bottle. Take the radiator cap off and hold your hand over it and pump the radiator hoses with your hand repeatedly to blow out bubbles and pull in fluid. Do this until bubbles stop coming out.

Then put the cap back on and start the car with the heater going and let it idle for about 5 minutes and repeat. The fluid shouldn't be burning hot so you should be ok.

Keep doing this daily and keep your overflow tank very full.

Or you could just get a spill-free radiator funnel and put it on the radiator and just leave the car running with fluid in it.

So do you all think that the cause of the lower radiator hose not being hot is because the system is completely full of coolant?