The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Head Gasket is Blown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 55 of 55
    Also check the coolant color too to make sure it isn't tainted.

It's water. Water gives you white smoke and mikly oil. Not sure where it's coming from, could be a crack somewhere and that ain't good. Likely you need a new dexel, not sure how you would fix a crack. Since it comes after 5min it mean it's very small and needs the dexel to warm up so it is wide enough for it to leak.

The guy I spoke to made it sound like water could be leaking between one of the water channels in the cylinder head and the intake, causing water to go through the intake.

Thanks again for your responses. I've never heard of a dexel before, what is that? Is it repairable/replaceable and how would I go about it?

After much searching, I am assuming he is taking about the gasket. I searched a few places and could not find this word used other than in a place name.

If that is the problem, do you think some kind of radiator stop leak might solve the problem?

At this point I would bite the bullet and take it somewhere for diagnostics.

I noticed something strange today. When the car is running for a while (>10 mins) and is operating at normal temp (half way between H and C), the lower radiator hose is not hot, it is actually pretty cool. Its weird that the car doesn't overheat according to the temp gauge, but water is steaming out of the reservoir tank.

Before reinstalling the thermostat, I checked it in a pot of boiling water and it works fine. I also installed a new water pump, so I'm trying to figure out why the water is not circulating and yet the car doesn't overheat!!

Clogged radiator?

Pull a hose and start it, it will make a mess but will tell you.

Any particular hose? I was considering pulling the thermostat and running the car with out it and seeing what happens too.

Try lower, you said it was cold and would make the least mess in your engine bay.

But if I pull the lower hose, it will drain the entire radiator. I thought you mean to pull a smaller hose, like a heater hose.

You can try draining it into a clean bucket. But this is wierd.

I don't care about making a mess, I just don't know how this will test the circulation of the cooling system if I drain the radiator, and the all of the contents of the lower hose. Don't I want to give the engine a chance to pump all the water out of the block?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123